How much should I expect to pay: SAN to FLL?

cawhite

Hi everyone,

Our family of 4 has a cruise booked out of Ft. Lauderdale next April (Spring Break... leaving 1 weekend prior to Easter weekend and returning to San Diego the day before Easter). I want to try to get the best airfare price I can (even though this is a popular time and destination).

How low do the airfares ever go from SAN to FLL? We can also depart from Orange County, or Long Beach, as well. Likewise, we can fly into other airports near FLL if there is a big enough discount.

I don't think I can try Southwest or Jet Blue until 6 months out (October). Should I wait to see what they're offering at that time? I believe Jet Blue offers a non-stop flight, but Southwest has 2 stops...ugh.

Right now I see $298 + $39 taxes/fees = $338 per person (America West & Delta), but they are not direct flights.

Any advice?

Thanks!

JetBlue has flights booking for next April. Nothing even close to the prices you are getting now. At least $500 round trip. The only non-stop from Long Beach to FLL leaves at 920pm, and gets into FLL at 500am. But the return non-stop leaves FLL at 600am, which you can't take unless you stay an extra day. There are no non-stops from SAN-FLL. You have to switch at eiother JFK or IAD (Dulles).

I'd rather make a change in Atlanta, than going all the way up to Washington or New York, especially if it's cheaper.

cawhite: Hi I am also looking for airfare to FT Lauderdale , next March. From either LB, Orange County, or LAX. I live here in Long Beach area. I really would love to do the Jet Blue, BUT as Dan posted earlier can't make the return flight at 6 am with out staying an extra day and the hotels at that time because of Spring Break are pretty pricey, so that throws a wrench in things. However , why don't you check out Delta , Song. They have a red eye that goes to FLL and then the return is I think at 6:45 pm returning to this area. Anyway it is worth a try. Also I have used Air Tran from FLL before , but I just checked the current prices and it is running 154 to 199 one way per person. Good Luck if you come up with something good ,please post and let me know. Thanks.

Cori

How low do the airfares ever go from SAN to FLL?

Ding specials by Southwest Airlines is a good indication of the absolute lowest levels that fares go between any 2 cities. Based on prior sales (which one can locate at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406138&page=11&pp=15), I see that the last Ding sale between SAN and FLL was $188 round trip. Since seats are limited, and the window of opportunity is small, this is probably something that one cannot go to the bank with. However, it does answer one of your questions concerning how low do airfares ever go from SAN to FLL.

I do not think that JetBlue has any nonstop flights between SAN and FLL. And, while Southwest flights also make stops, some do not require a change or planes while other do.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

Our family of 4 has a cruise booked out of Ft. Lauderdale next April (Spring Break... leaving 1 weekend prior to Easter weekend and returning to San Diego the day before Easter). I want to try to get the best airfare price I can (even though this is a popular time and destination).

How low do the airfares ever go from SAN to FLL? We can also depart from Orange County, or Long Beach, as well. Likewise, we can fly into other airports near FLL if there is a big enough discount.

I don't think I can try Southwest or Jet Blue until 6 months out (October). Should I wait to see what they're offering at that time? I believe Jet Blue offers a non-stop flight, but Southwest has 2 stops...ugh.

Right now I see $298 + $39 taxes/fees = $338 per person (America West & Delta), but they are not direct flights.

Any advice?

Thanks!

To be honest if it were me I would keep checking and book as soon as a good fare comes up. Springbreak fares can be notoriousley high!

Right now fares at orbitz.com are around $280 - $300 on Frontier and Delta via LAX.

What are your dates for this trip? Right now (on Expedia) a R/T fare is $227.29 for a October 20th departure and October 28th return (thinking this is a seven day cruise and you want to fly in a day ahead. This is aboard Delta with one stop in Atlanta.

Post your dates!

-Chris

Hi everyone,

Just a suggestion. Try looking for flights on Easter. Flying on a holiday usually results in a lower fare. Even though it means you will have a hotel and meals, you may save enough (and have better availability) to make it worthwhile.

Anything in the $300.00 neighborhood is a decent fare for that time of year.

Hi, I posted here earlier. Ended up booking , Jet Blue out of LB to FLL , then returning FLL to LAX on Delta Song. Same price booking one way or round trip. Getting both flights for 152.00 one way per person , including taxes and fees, and that is a non stop flight. We are also going in the Easter break time break, In Mid March. Hope this is of some help.

Cori

Archived