Activities for a 2.5 year old.

purpleprincesskc

Are their any activities that you would be able to take a 2.5 year old on. We are going to the beach on a couple of other stops and would like something different.

Also, do the shore excursions strictly enforce the age restrictions for example if it lists the minimum age as 3, could we get away with brining our son?

I suggest you try the zoo or the Calypso train. Dont even try to cheat the age on the excursions - the cruise wont allow you to purchase a ticket for your son. Although you may find local guides who have a slightly lower age limit, I recommend following the cruiselines suggestion. Your son wont enjoy himself otherwise, and your fellow travellers might not appreciate it either. Stick to the zoo or think about a private tour/taxi where you have complete control over the itinerary.

We've done extensive travelling with our three kids (now ages 6, 8, and11) - each is on their third passport - and you wont enjoy yourself if your son isnt also happy and safe!

I think you need to know what you are comfortable with in terms of safety for your son, and knowing what he will be like in terms of happiness, patience etc. The cruise line would not let our five year old cave tube, but the company we used allowed us to book her directly. I read up extensively on safety (as much as one can be safe doing an excursion in a foreign country with natural variables!) and decided we'd do it. I was so glad we did! We all loved it.

I'm mentioning this to you because you would be allowed to bring your 2.5 year old with you cave tubing. They sit in your tube, on your lap and are fitted with safety gear as well. (Perhaps check for his size and be sure.) I saw people that were bringing babies under a year old on this tour! To be honest, I could never do that. I would be too scared. However, at 2.5/3, I would have considered it. They have on a life vest and helmet and they are always in your arms. IF they fell out, there are two guides there to help you, as well as the life vest. Again, it comes down to how comfortable YOU are with the thought but I wanted to put it out there. Personally, I don't think it's any riskier than taking any boat tour where they can fall off the boat/catamaran etc. I'd say the only other two things to consider is the 40 minute hike and whether or not your husband's or your arms can hold him that long and there's one point where you need to cross the river holding a rope (some people didn't hold it and just walked), so you'd need to be able to do that with your son as well. If it's rained a ton and the river is high or rough, then maybe I'd pass, but otherwise I think you'd be fine.

We thought our options were going to be limited to a bus tour, calypso train or the zoo. So I'm glad I did some research and took the chance.