St John - Cinnamon Bay and Gibney Beach?

DENNICH

I am going to be in St. Thomas from 8:00 - 5:00 in March with my husband. I am on an NCL ship docking at Havensight. I was going to try and get the 9:00 AM ferry to St. John and go to Cinnamon Bay. I have been there before and I sat on the beach in awe of the beauty the whole time. I have never been to Gibney Beach, but the pictures look amazing. I was thinking about getting one of the taxis to drop us off at Gibney after leaving Cinnamon Bay and stay there for a bit. We would then eventually try and get a 2:00 or 3:00 PM ferry back to St. Thomas. How easy is it to get a taxi back to Cruz Bay from Gibney? Would one stop if we flagged it down from the side of the road? Is it safe doing that, or would it be better to try and arrange a taxi to collect us from Gibney beach? Are the taxi drivers generally reliable to pick up from a prearranged spot? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am going to be in St. Thomas from 8:00 - 5:00 in March with my husband. I am on an NCL ship docking at Havensight. I was going to try and get the 9:00 AM ferry to St. John and go to Cinnamon Bay. I have been there before and I sat on the beach in awe of the beauty the whole time. I have never been to Gibney Beach, but the pictures look amazing. I was thinking about getting one of the taxis to drop us off at Gibney after leaving Cinnamon Bay and stay there for a bit. We would then eventually try and get a 2:00 or 3:00 PM ferry back to St. Thomas. How easy is it to get a taxi back to Cruz Bay from Gibney? Would one stop if we flagged it down from the side of the road? Is it safe doing that, or would it be better to try and arrange a taxi to collect us from Gibney beach? Are the taxi drivers generally reliable to pick up from a prearranged spot? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Since parking is limited at Gibney Beach it would be far easier and most advantageous for you to arrange pickup at an agreed upon time. Any taxi driver will gladly return to pick you up when you arrange for it. In my experience some have even allowed payment for both going and returning after returning to Cruz Bay. I wouldn't rely on finding an available taxi especially since you desire to be back at the ferry dock at a certain time. Better to plan ahead than scramble on the end to find a way back. Gibney is gorgeous, enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Since parking is limited at Gibney Beach it would be far easier and most advantageous for you to arrange pickup at an agreed upon time. Any taxi driver will gladly return to pick you up when you arrange for it. In my experience some have even allowed payment for both going and returning after returning to Cruz Bay. I wouldn't rely on finding an available taxi especially since you desire to be back at the ferry dock at a certain time. Better to plan ahead than scramble on the end to find a way back. Gibney is gorgeous, enjoy!

Thank you so much for your help!! I will arrange a driver to pick me up at Gibney at a specific time. The few photos that I saw of Gibney look breathtaking. I am so looking forward to going there. Thanks again.

You can also snorkel/swim to Gibney from Hawksnest, where taxis are plentiful.

Thanks for the tip, Augie. Do you know how deep the water would get if we did that? We normally have a backpack with us that we would not want to get wet. Could we kind of wade through with the backpack carried above? Thanks again. Cruise Critic members are great.

No, it will be a little too deep for you to wade. You could have a taxi take you to Gibney, then, if you have trouble hailing one for the return trip (you probably won't - you'll have a ton of them coming from Trunk, Cinnamon, etc. and they won't all be full) you could walk the short distance to Hawksnest, where you can easily find one.

Edited by augie

No, it will be a little too deep for you to wade. You could have a taxi take you to Gibney, then, if you have trouble hailing one for the return trip (you probably won't - you'll have a ton of them coming from Trunk, Cinnamon, etc. and they won't all be full) you could walk the short distance to Hawksnest, where you can easily find one.

Thanks for all of your info, Augie. We just might walk over to Hawksnest from Gibney and stay for a bit on that beach too. There are just too many fantastic beaches to choose from on St. John. Decisions, decisions. :)