Dawn vs. Spirit - Help!

jhaasz

For all of you knowledgeable NCL cruisers....

We are thinking of cruising on the Spirit (8 night Eastern Caribbean next year) or on the Dawn but I can't decide. The pricing on the Spirit and the itinerary (compared to other lines) was fantastic; however, I am afraid that my kids my get seasick (my little one was really seasick for one night on the Carnival Legend going from New York).

Of course, the itinerary on the Dawn is not the best but the ship is bigger (and less chance of seasickness).

If you were me, which one would you pick and why?

Any help that you can give would be very much appreciated. We have never sailed NCL before (but have sailed Royal Caribbean, Carnival and Princess).

Also, how is the kids program for a 12 year-old (so far, RCI's has been the best)?

My daughter cruised the Western Caribbean on Explorer of the Seas (138,000 tons) and said that was the roughest seas she's ever experienced-- Lots of people with upset tummies. We sailed the Dawn (90,000) from NY to the Southern Caribbean last December and had no problems with seas until we got to the Caribbean. My worst seas were off Florida heading to the Bahamas. In other words, if seas are rough, some people will get seasick. Some people suggest taking drammamine or bonine days before sailing to get it into your system just to prevent seasickness. Of course, there is always the doctor on board to give you a shot if needed.

Thanksgiving 2006 we will be sailing on the Spirit. At 77,000 tons it doesn't sound that much smaller than Dawn at 90,000. I would suggest checking out the photos on Travelocity if you want to get a better look.

We loved the Dawn and look forward to sailing on Spirit too.

Loved all the restaurant choices on the Dawn each day: Mexican, Italian, Japanese, Chinese & Fast Food at the Blue Lagoon, Steak House, Elegant Venetian DR, Impressions & Stars American Restaurants, Bimini Bar BBQ on the upper deck, and fish & chips at King Pearly's Pub. The restaurants on the Spirit look just as appealing. Love that freestyle dining every day.

Finally, anyone with kids has got to the the 3rd and 4th passenger discounts on NCL. No other cruiselines matches them. Great family bargains with fantastic restaurants. We cruise Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Norwegian--but our favorite has definetely become NCL.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

Archived