Port help needed for port of kirkwall

Maxy Mouse

Hello we are having a great deal of trouble planning for the port. We will be aboard the Ruby Princess on 5 July. Any recommendations for how to see the prehistoric sites? All reasonable options welcomed. I looked at hiring a car but couldn't find an automatic. Haven't been found a guide. Any help welcome.

In 2012 we used Explore Orkney http://www.exploreorkney.com/index.php Looking at their website I see that they have added a new tour geared to cruise ship passengers. We took their "Megaliths & Mysteries" tour but the new one appears to be exactly what we did. It was an excellent tour, maybe the best of the cruise. Lunch was wonderful, just enough and in a nice setting. The company is family owned and VERY easy to work with. Here's a link to our photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/gkappesser/BritishIslesCruiseMay2012?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCNyG_4OT786O8wE&feat=directlink

Hope this helps.

<<<Karen>>>

Thanks for the info. I checked both. They are booked I also tried the car hire/ rental agents for a automatic. Our port day for Kirkwall is is July 5. I read somewhere that it is the biggest day for cruise passengers this year.

Thanks for the info. I checked both. They are booked I also tried the car hire/ rental agents for a automatic. Our port day for Kirkwall is is July 5. I read somewhere that it is the biggest day for cruise passengers this year.

Suggest you look at Ruby roll calls for cruises that stop at Kirkwall. Other CCers are doing the same thing you are. Also try this: http://www.wildaboutorkney.com/. Good luck.

We rented a car from WR Tullock (http://www.orkneycarrental.co.uk/cars.html). I think it was a manual, but you might be able to get an automatic.

The office where you pick the car up is right across from the tourist center; a short bus ride provided by Princess dropped us off there.

Having the car gave us so many options - we made it to the Broch of Gurness, St. Magnus Church and Earl's Palace in Birsay, Brough of Birsay, Skara Brae, Ring of Brodgar, and the Stones of Stenness. We even had time to stop at a little jewelry gallery/workshop (Fluke Jewelry) and the Orkney Brewery. After dropping the car off, we were able to walk (about 10 minutes) to the St. Magnus Cathedral and the Bishop and Earl's Palace.

Absolutely our favorite port of the whole trip!!

The local bus company runs a tour bus that goes to all the major sites. It is first come first served and departs from the local bus station. We had a great time for a great price. Bus waits while you walk around each site. Driver did a narration, just be prepared for a heavy accent

The local bus company runs a tour bus that goes to all the major sites. It is first come first served and departs from the local bus station. We had a great time for a great price. Bus waits while you walk around each site. Driver did a narration, just be prepared for a heavy accent

We walked the short distance to the visitor's center and bought a ticket for the local bus (they have many, especially on days there is a cruise ship in port) and had an excellent driver that took us all over the area. He said he wasn't a "tour guide" but we all disagreed. He took us to all of the places we wanted to see and gave plenty of time for us to explore. This was the only port that we didn't have previous plans and it turned out to be one of our favorites.

Cole

Thanks everyone. I emailed all the car hire companies and each of the tour agencies listed on the tourist information site. All automatic cars and all guides were booked. I like the local Stagecoach bus and downloaded their brochure. I only hope we can get seats. I guess all we can do is get off the ship as quickly as possible and hope for the best. I emailed Stagecoach asking if tickets could be purchased in advance to assuer space but no answer. That was about 10 days ago and again yesterday.

Again thank you.

Thanks everyone. I emailed all the car hire companies and each of the tour agencies listed on the tourist information site. All automatic cars and all guides were booked. I like the local Stagecoach bus and downloaded their brochure. I only hope we can get seats. I guess all we can do is get off the ship as quickly as possible and hope for the best. I emailed Stagecoach asking if tickets could be purchased in advance to assuer space but no answer. That was about 10 days ago and again yesterday.

Again thank you.

Hi guys,

If all the ships in port on July 5th are full there'll be 7000 pax in Kirkwall that day - I live in Orkney & saw the queue for the Stagecoach bus last year - 3 times round the bus station! It is usually a double decker bus which is fun but I think it's a max seats of about 78 with about another 25 or so allowed to stand up - they were like sardines last year. It's buy tickets on the bus on the day - no advance bookings

Really really strongly suggest that you pre book a tour/taxi/hire a car before you arrive or else take a ships shorex

Hainford I thank you. Sorry I did not respond to your suggestion before. Looking at their site I see the cost as 125 GBP each. Since there are three of us in today's money that comes to slightly more than $600 for a day's outing. I just can not do that. It does should like a great tour though.

Maximouse

Agree that they are not cheap but you get what you pay for. we have been caught out by taking cheap tours and regretted not taking a better option. Also be aware of the extra charges that the cheaper tours do not include, it sure pays to do your research on private tours.

Also, beware, some of the local companies will charge if the ship does not make it into port

This has concerned me as well. Can not figure out why the British Isles independent tours all seem to want to charge you ahead of time. Been through the Mediteranean and Baltic Seas and don't recall having to ever pay ahead. This concerns me. I guess peace of mind would be to book ship's tours, which I prefer not to do. I have actually emailed tour operators who told me to that I would have to get my money back from my travel insurance in case we do not make it to port. Just does not sit well with me....

• 3 weeks later...