Snorkeling - Beginner

frostypenguin

When we first learned to snorkel, we went to the library, got a book on how to do it and then went to the public pool. (We had brought our own snorkel equip.) Most public pools have rentals. It's not hard to learn at all.

I had never snorkeled before our cruise last week and had no problems. We spent a lot of time in the water and had a blast. If you can swim at all snorkeling shouldn't be a problem. Have fun.:)

I would suggest at least getting a good snorkel. I left my snorkel gear in a cab in Cozumel and had to rent equipment. I went out right after and bought a good snorkel for our other ports. It made it a lot more enjoyable.

Just so you realize, your back is constantly in the sun, so please wear a covering (shirt) so you don't get burned. Take that advise from someone who got blisters all over her back the first time.....have a blast.

Frosty, I know that you are going on an Alaska cruise, so snorkeling there will be a little different than in the Caribbean mostly due to the water temperature. It isn't that it will be colder, it will. The big difference will be that snorkelers in cold water wear thick wet suits. Neoprene, the material wet suits are made from, has bazillions of tiny bubbles trapped in it. They are what provide the insulation. They also give a person quite a bit of added buoyancy, so you will float much easier in a think wet suit.

With this added floatation, and being able to swim, DH should have very little difficulty snorkeling. If you could get to a pool for a little practice on your own, it wouldn't hurt, but if not, you'll be fine.

I have some great resources at my group forum (you'll find the link in my signature below) on snorkeling, as I am hosting a scuba cruise. There's an article on how to go about snorkeling that you might find helpful.

Sorry Sailfish, maybe I'm not technical enough, but all I can seem to find on that link is about trips you are organizing or that have been on in the past :(

if there is a direct link to the article could you post it.

thanks.

I clicked on the link and it shot me right over to the group forum. If you scroll down, you will see numerous articles on snorkeling; there are three pages of posts in the forum, and the articles are all over. You can also do a forum seach, using the key word "snorkeling" and all the postings related to snorkeling will pop up.

There are NO postings on "trips" there. Only information for my members on the upcoming scuba cruise. There are just too many snorkeling ports there to list all of them. But here are few:

The Mechanics of Snorkeling

Improving Your Snorkeling Technique

Teaching Kids to Snorkel

I would try again as there really is a lot there that might be of interest to you; but do the forum search so you won't waste your time.

Good luck.

Snorkeling in Alaska:eek: That's probably as cold as swimming in a glacier fed stream. We did that last summer at Glacier Park:D I suppose wet suits will be a necessity since you will be in the water a bit longer than we could stand it but it was a blast. The snorkeling part is pretty easy. Did it for the first time last summer and had no problem once I figured out how NOT to breath out of my nose. Would also suggest getting your own equipment. We rented and it was not in the greatest shape, plus didn't like the thought that the snorkel was in someone else mouth too.

DH never snorkeled before, we are going on a cruise and they offer this excursion. How hard is it for someone who can swim but never snorkled? Do you think it's necessary to go to a dive shop and get lessons pre cruise?

Here goes, (I'm 50 something) I dont swim very well at all, never did and probably never will. Snorkel, never did it either until about 4 - 5 years ago the family took a vacation to Hawaii. My children were 9 and 11 at the time. The water was so beautiful and my children kept asking me to do it. I finally gave in. I wore a vest (required on the boat we were on). The hardest or most uncomfotable part was getting used to breathing from the tube.

Once I got through that feeling.....it was wonderful.:D

Do yourself and favor and don't hesitate (I kick myself for missing it for so long)!!!:cool:

You do not need a dive shop or any special instruction. If you can swim decently there should be know problem except for the breathing part. If you are not a good swimmer, get a vest and you will take to it like a baby to water.

Good luck

Oh I forgot one thing, the fish (so many colors and variations). I could go on and on.........

Lots of good advice so far. Going to the pool and playing with the equipment is your best bet. The first time I snorkeled, years ago. I put my face in the water and simply could not inhale. My body was convinced that "dude, your face is in the water, you breath in , you die." I did get over it and now I'm a scuba instructor:D A mask that fits properly and getting comfortable with the processwill make the excursion itself a lot more comfortable and help get rid of the first time jitters. Yes, you can take lessons, but unless you're interested in serious free diving, it's probably overkill.

As to the wet suit for your husband. They come in all sizes, just like regular cloths. The biggest guest I ever got into a wetsuit while we were teaching in Belize was easily 400 lbs. Contact the shop running the excursion and make sure they indeed have a rental in his size.

Have a great time

Kent

This will be my 1st time on a cruise and possibly 1st time snorkeling. I don't swim very well or some say at all. But I have no fear of the water (I just know & respect my limits). I am going on an Eastern Caribbean cruise on Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas. Does any one know if you can snorkel with a life jacket? Are there any beaches that you can snorkel from? Any information would be appreciated.

I snorkeled for the first time a couple of years ago, and my friend I went with (a veteran snorkeler) said to breath through the tube like Darth Vader! Slow and deep...what great advice! I'm not the best swimmer in the world, and I found myself getting overwhelmed under the water the first few times, and then getting so excited seeing fish and sting rays..remembering to breath like that helped so much. Hope it helps you, too! Have a BLAST!!

Take along a very small bottle of Johnson's Baby Shampoo -- the tiny trial size that you can buy at Target, Wal-Mart, etc.

Use it instead of mask defog (or spit) to defog your mask. Dip your mask in the water. Squeeze a couple of drops of baby shampoo inside your mask and rub it all around. Dip your mask back in the water and swish it around a couple of times. Put your mask on your face.

Not only will the baby shampoo work better than the commercial mask defog stuff you can buy, it will definitely work better than spit! And when (not if) your mask leaks a little bit of water in, the baby shampoo won't sting your eyes like the mask defog stuff does.

Have a blast! You'll love it!

Take along a very small bottle of Johnson's Baby Shampoo -- the tiny trial size that you can buy at Target, Wal-Mart, etc.

Use it instead of mask defog (or spit) to defog your mask. Dip your mask in the water. Squeeze a couple of drops of baby shampoo inside your mask and rub it all around. Dip your mask back in the water and swish it around a couple of times. Put your mask on your face.

Not only will the baby shampoo work better than the commercial mask defog stuff you can buy, it will definitely work better than spit! And when (not if) your mask leaks a little bit of water in, the baby shampoo won't sting your eyes like the mask defog stuff does.

Have a blast! You'll love it!

Very interesting tip. Will keep that in mind. I have never snorkeled before, but

I have had the masks on and I hate when the fog or get water in them.

Thanks again,

I snorkeled for the first time a couple of years ago, and my friend I went with (a veteran snorkeler) said to breath through the tube like Darth Vader! Slow and deep...what great advice! I'm not the best swimmer in the world, and I found myself getting overwhelmed under the water the first few times, and then getting so excited seeing fish and sting rays..remembering to breath like that helped so much. Hope it helps you, too! Have a BLAST!!

I will be snorkeling for the first time on our cruise in a few weeks, and was reading through these. Sarah, your post cracked me up... about breathing like Darth Vader! Thanks for that! I will remember that. I will most likely be using some kind of flotation device since I'll start freaking out when I realize I won't be able to stand with my head still above water. I'm a non-swimmer due to an accident when I was a child, but I do know how to float, and can sort of swim confidently in a shallow pool.

Great advice about trying out the equipment in a pool. I hope to have time to do that before I leave for my trip!

Archived