Safety of Ocho Rios with kids?

rdevine10

I have been reading some recent threads here in Cruise Critic about the warnings for Nassau and time and time again I see Ocho Rios also being mentioned as a safety issue.

Our cruise in April stops here and we have tentative plans to go to Dunns River and Mystic Mountain. However, I do not want to put my children in unnecessary danger. FWIW we are street savy and spend time in NYC frequently (so we are aware crime can happen anywhere and are street smart). My kids are 11 and 8 (girls) and we would be going on a ship sponsored excursion.

Can anyone shed light onto what exactly we need to be aware of here? It will help us make our decision. Thanks!

We were there last year in April with our 4yo son and had no problems at all.

We were also warned about potential dangers, but seemed we were completely fine.

Sure, we were offered to buy some local herbs from time to time, but a friendly "no thank you" was enough to walk away without any hassle.

The difference between being offered drugs in Jamaica and at home when you don't want it and say no:

Jamaica: "no problem man, enjoy your stay"

Home: "Why?, you looking for problems, you buy now...."

:)

Edited by mr.purple

I have been reading some recent threads here in Cruise Critic about the warnings for Nassau and time and time again I see Ocho Rios also being mentioned as a safety issue.

Our cruise in April stops here and we have tentative plans to go to Dunns River and Mystic Mountain. However, I do not want to put my children in unnecessary danger. FWIW we are street savy and spend time in NYC frequently (so we are aware crime can happen anywhere and are street smart). My kids are 11 and 8 (girls) and we would be going on a ship sponsored excursion.

Can anyone shed light onto what exactly we need to be aware of here? It will help us make our decision. Thanks!

Well, if you take your kids to NYC than Jamaica is no different. You are on a sponsored trip, to an area that has more tourist than residents. Just be as careful in Jamaica as you are in NYC.

Just one little tip.....

If a vendor asks your daughters their names.....don't tell them. They will many times, quickly paint or carve or sew their names into the trinket they are selling and then tell you you HAVE to buy it because they already put their names on it. :) Just a little scam to be aware of.

Just one little tip.....

If a vendor asks your daughters their names.....don't tell them. They will many times, quickly paint or carve or sew their names into the trinket they are selling and then tell you you HAVE to buy it because they already put their names on it. :) Just a little scam to be aware of.

Good to know! We will be having a talk with them about getting off on the islands again, but about Ocho Rios in particular. And we will make sure we are very aware of our surroundings, what we say to people, etc.

I appreciate all of the tips. Thanks for the info, we will use careful common sense and hopefully enjoy visiting the wonders of Jamaica!

Edited by rdevine10