Carnival Conquest January 19-26th Exotic Eastern Caribbean Review, pictures and all!

lisajm

Hello all. Just back from the Conquest. I have enjoyed reading reviews so I committed to writing my own. This was my 3rd Cruise and my very first review.

A little background, Carolyn, Karen, and I all celebrated or will celebrate monumental birthdays this year, so what better way to celebrate than with a cruise?

I have previously sailed the Western Caribbean, so I was very excited to book an Eastern Caribbean itinerary.

Of course, after I booked I started reading reviews of the Conquest and many of them were not favorable. So I was a little worried, but decided to keep an open mind. After all 7 nights in a tropical climate beats an Indiana winter hands down!

DSC_0605_zps2f9c2a05.jpg.html

DSC_0605_zps2f9c2a05.jpg.html

We flew out of Evansville Regional Airport @ 5:00 pm on the Saturday before the cruise. Apparently this seemed like a good idea when we booked it because of the 269 pp roundtrip fare. In retrospect this was not ideal.

DSC_0607_zps794f1d21.jpg

We found a vending machine that pays better than the slots in Vegas. You put on a dollar and get back five!

DSC_0609_zps0f03165f.jpg

DSC_0612_zps771a9a36.jpg

A brief layover in Dallas with gratuitous cowboy picture. Sorry we didn't see any real cowboys, ladies.

DSC_0613_zps44e48793.jpg

And tada! We arrive in Miami at midnight (ugh!)

Edited by lisajm

We booked rooms at the Day's Inn Miami Airport North for the night before the cruise and also for disembarkation day. What can I say about this place?

On the plus side it was around a hundred bucks a night through Kayak and was close to the airport, which was important since we arrived so late. They provided free shuttles to and from MIA, as well as a free shuttle to the Port of Miami.

(note: late at night you have to call for the shuttle!)

We arrived at the motel somewhere after 1:00 am, exhausted. Let's just say it looked a little sketchy when we arrived, but we were all exhausted.

A quick bedbug check and then off to bed.

Surprisingly, the beds were very comfortable. And while the property was a bit worn and dated, the staff was very nice and the rooms were clean.

All in all I would say it served our purpose of a few ours sleep, but I would not book this hotel again.

DSC_0616_zpsc78f63fc.jpg

We looked out the window the next morning and this "lively" group was waiting for their shuttle. Hmm was the Conquest the place to be for the "young at heart"?

DSC_0620_zps05a6c38e.jpg

Now this is not the best quality picture of my dear friend Carolyn, but the smile on her face says it all! This was her very first cruise and I am so happy that I got to share it with her.

DSC_0619_zpse1e5604b.jpg

Carnival Terminal @ The Port of Miami

DSC_0617_zps1a528bf8.jpg

Looking through the window of our ship, The Carnival Conquest

9 days prior to the cruise I was able to snag a FTTF! We breezed through check-in and security, and then we waited. The terminal began filling with cruisers.

After the Platinum's, Diamond's, and Suites were allowed to board, we were given the go ahead. Up, Up and smile for the embarkation photo.

Our home for the week was room 2328. This was an ocean view cabin on the port side.

Karen has bouts of motion sickness, so our PVP hooked us up on deck 2 midship. She prepared for the cruise with scopolamine patches, bonnie, and a determination to have a good time!

We quickly went to check out the cabin.

DSC_0622_zpsf7f98495.jpg

This is Carolyn and Karen checking out the view!

DSC_0621_zps970344f9.jpg

SWAG was kind of pitiful :(

DSC_0624_zps7b3b5b08.jpg

DSC_0626_zpsb9d95eb0.jpg

The picture window was awesome!

I realize as i'm uploading pictures and posting this review and didn't take any of the room layout! Sorry.

We had 2 twin beds and a sofa. I chose the sofa to sleep on. Mohammed was our cabin steward and he put a memory foam mattress pad on it. It was quite comfortable.

I slept like a baby, that is until "She who will not be named" started snoring!:eek:

subscription added!!!

looking forward to your review! We are doing Conquest Eastern route in May.

On a side note we have cruised in the past and are cruising with my MIL and have learned to be sure to take earplugs and breathe right strips. They really come in handy.

After getting situated in our cabin we decided to seek out sustenance as we had skipped breakfast.

We hauled ourselves to the Fish and Chips located on deck 10. Just head for the Lido buffet and go up the stairs!

Nobody else there yet, so we made our choices.

DSCN0412_zps5c4e8272.jpg

Carolyn and I started with this delightful Ahi Tuna and watermelon concoction and ceviche. The Ahi Tuna/watermelon was very good! I'm not a huge fan of watermelon but the flavors matched up well. The ceviche, was good as well.

DSCN0414_zps0bc42c56.jpg

Karen tried the bouillabaisse, and she said it was quite tasty.

But......it wasn't quite enough. So we all decided to go for the fish and chips.

DSCN0413_zps7ee8003b.jpg

Karen and Carolyn loved this offering, I thought it was decent, but not my favorite.

DSCN0437_zps0a324bc3.jpg

Piano Bar

Okay enough of the inside stuff we were ready to go out and enjoy the balmy? 65 degrees!

DSCN0417_zps609c7776.jpg

Whale Tale!

DSC_0630_zps876d3ddd.jpg

Red Frog Rum Bar

DSC_0631_zps5c702e6a.jpg

And of course the Blue Iguana Tequila Bar

DSC_0632_zpscfa23058.jpg

And what have we here? Emtpy loungers. Quickly we decided to plant ourselves and order a DOD!

DSCN0423_zpsca5bb17b.jpg

Carolyn and Karen checking in before going off the grid for a few days!

DSCN0439_zps67f415d7.jpg

Bye bye Port of Miami!

Sidenote for you FUNtimophiles, I HAVE all the Funtimes, but tonight my scanner is being uncooperative.:confused: As soon as I can encourage it to work will post those, too.

Carolyn, Karen, and I are all labor and delivery nurses and we have worked together for years. This is our first trip together, so it was fun to kick back and get to know each other better.

I ordered another DOD to get the juices going, the other two looked at me and said, "Lisa!" I explained that I am a grown-ass woman, who is on vacation.:D. I was not about to let these two chastise me, hehe. They got the point.

We headed back to the cabin after the sail away party to get ready for dinner. We opted for the anytime dining. This was served in the Renoir Dining Room. Those folks who had assigned dining times were served in the Monet Dining Room.

I forgot to mention that the theme of the Conquest was Impressionism. The ship had artwork on practically every surface.

DSCN0440_zps06154a92.jpg

Menu. Sorry about side ways view. I tried to flip it with my editor but it must really like being on it's side, because it wouldn't work.

DSCN0446_zps786fabdb.jpg

For starters I had the cured salmon (I'm glad it was not longer sick!) and candied tomato

DSCN0444_zps3332a635.jpg

Braised Beef Brisket and Gravy

The Brisket was good, but between you and me it tasted like pot roast!

DSCN0443_zpsa1487afb.jpg

Okay so this is the cured salmon!

Sorry the other picture was Salmon filet, which is available every night.

DSCN0445_zpscfce4faf.jpg

Sweet and Sour Shrimp

Another side note.. There were table cloths on the Conquest!

And then it was time for desert!

DSCN0448_zpscff5819f.jpg

Carolyn had the Creme Brûlée. She said it was to die for.

DSCN0449_zpsbb9249e6.jpg

Karen had the Black Forrest Cake, also very good, I'm told.

DSCN0447_zpse3d0915e.jpg

And while I'm sure those other desserts were tasty, I had to have that wonderful WCMC! yum yum yum

On this first night we were seated at Ausrine's section. Gede was the Team Waiter and Jorge was the Asst. Team Waiter. I just want to say that these people gave us excellent service!

We were able to sit at her section for 3 of the 7 nights, and each time they were courteous, and efficient.

2 of the nights we were seated in other sections, and the service was not nearly as good. Having said that, the service wasn't bad, just not as good as when we were in Ausrine's section.

My thoughts on anytime dining: If you are a smaller group(6 or less) and very flexible this plan will work for you.

If you have >6, and expect to be seated right away, then you will be disappointed.

I saw a lady berate the poor hostess, because her party of 8 was given a beeper and was told the wait time was going to be 1/2 hour. This was on Elegant Night at 7:00pm. The lady stomped off in her designer shoes saying, "I will NEVER sail on a Carnival ship again!"

I silently clapped. If she's isn't sailing Carnival, then I probably will never see her again.:eek:

We stopped by the theater to watch the Diva's show after dinner. There were some technical difficulties with some of the equipment and the show was put on hold. We really didn't feel like staying.

We strolled the shops. Carolyn won a gift bag worth $100.00!

DSCN0451_zpsa6c83b48.jpg

After that, we decided to go back to the cabin, and get ready for bed. It had been a very short night, and a very long day.

Now I believe, I mentioned that we are all labor and delivery nurses, right?

Bet you can't guess what our first towel animal was?

DSCN0452_zps82dc1a0f.jpg

Yep, that's the one.

subscription added!!!

looking forward to your review! We are doing Conquest Eastern route in May.

On a side note we have cruised in the past and are cruising with my MIL and have learned to be sure to take earplugs and breathe right strips. They really come in handy.

Good plan!