Tampa - Late Flight Out - What to Do

godeano1

Tampa has a lot to offer. I would check my luggage at the airport and put my carry ons in a locker, THEN..........you could go to Busch Gardens to spend the day..............or watch the Tampa Yankees play baseball.....or better yet, contact the Tampa Tourist bureau and they'll send you all kinds of info.

Check with the Airline to see how early they will check your bags, then based on how much time you have remaining you could head over to International Mall 5-10 minutes from the Airport, go to MOSI or Lowry Park Zoo. I don't suggest Busch Gardens because it isn't cheap to get in and 9 hrs really isn't that much time to spend there....plus if it is during the summer I wouldn't want to be hot and sweaty travelling back home....I would prbably skip the zoo for the same reasons but if you chose you can see the zoo in about 6 hrs and it is fairly reasonable in price.

if you get to the airport that early - when you check in let the counter person know that you would be willing to take an earlier flight if available (without additional charges). I can't vouch for Tampa airport, but here in New York if they can bump you earlier they will with no extra charge

You will not be able to check luggage in that early-- 3 hours before the flight.

leave the luggage at the pier with the toruism people. 5 bucks. Tour the city- Take the trolley ride.

or

Rent a car to get you around the city-- you will have someplace to store your lugage until you leave

Wonder how long you can leave your luggage at the pier??? Anyone have a web site or phone number for the place?? Can't remember if anyone has even said what it is called- other than the luggage place"!! lol!

We have a late flight out as well- trolley does go to Ybor City. Not sure of the price. Only a couple bucks I'm sure. We rode around on it last year. We plan on having a nice late lunch at the Columbia restaurant, checking out the local outdoor market in the park in Ybor before we take off to the airport.

Help with the luggage question would be appreciated!

Sue

Can I check luggage at the pier? Is it $5.00 per bag? Any time limit? I heard there was a trolly for $3.00. Does that take you to Yarbor City?

It was 5.00 per family in Februry- dont know if that was a special rate since we got to the pier at 11am and were not expected to board until 4pm

Found It!!! Cruse terminal 2, suite 207 is a tourism place who will store your luggage for a small fee until 4:00 p.m., when they close. They will also give you discount tickets for the Aquarium and Trolley.

• 2 months later...

Think we will head over to Ybor and have lunch after our cruise- Still would appreciate any info about this "tourism place" at the port that will store our luggage. Directions? Phone number?

Thanks in advance!

Sue

The cruise dock is right at an entertainment complex (shops, restaurants, bars) called Channelside; the aquarium is right beside the entertainment complex. The "tourism office" the above post refers to is a little place that sells discount tickets to various attractions, including the aquarium & I think the trolley car; it is on the side of the Channelside complex, with the door facing the entrance to the aquarium. I don't know the name or have the phone #, but I go to Channelside frequently. Next time I'm there I'll get the name & # and post (and find out about bag storage if I'm there when they are open).

The trolley has a stop right at Channelside & goes over to Ybor City. Browsing around there & getting a bite to eat might be a nice way to blow a few hours, and there are some very good Cuban restaurants there.

Would appreciate that VERY! much!!

One of our group isn't a "walker" so may park him at Channelside while we go to the Aquarium- and then head over to Columbia for lunch before heading to airport.

Thanks again for the info!

Sue

Not sure about the bags, but for a great time (not real cheap) go to Ybor, a old cuban area. Lots of bars etc- skip them and go to the Columbia Resturant. They have flamingo dances and great paelia (spelling??):cool: Its about 15 minutes from the airport by car and very close to the cruise terminal by trolley

Ok, the tourism place is called "Destination Tampa Bay Inc"; their website is destinationtampa.com (found it on a recent credit card statement, we'd bought aquarium tix from them for a few bucks less than you pay at the door).

JoeB, the one from your group who doesn't want to walk should be able to entertain himself for awhile at Channelside. There are a handful of restaurants & bars (Hooters, Howl at the Moon, places like that), an upscale bowling alley, movie theatre, etc.

You could rent a car at the airport and drive over here to Orlando and visit the Mouse or some of his friends. Driving time Tampa Airport to Disney area (which is on the Tampa-side of Orlando) is only 90-minutes.

Not saying this is a better idea than the others provided, just an additional option. I think both Channelside and Ybor are usually pretty "dead" during the day.

BobK/Orlando

Channelside

Centro Ybor

Busch Gardens

MOSI ( Museum of Science and Industry )

.... or, if you didn't blow all of your money on the cruise.

The International Mall ( which is very close to the airport ) - maybe a 4 minute cab ride.

Great places to eat and shop.

.... or catch a movie at Westshore Mall ( less than a 10 minute drive )

... or you could go behind the aquarium and take a nature cruise ( can see dolphins, manatees, etc. )

We had a lot of time to kill in Tampa a few years ago and drove to Clearwater, had lunch and drinks on the water... it was a lovely way to spend the day!!! If you rent a car, you don't have to worry with storing your luggage... and for us, we weren't ready to depart from the tropical atmosphere so it was perfect!

Archived