Champagne and coffee

Les Picantins

On our cruises the champagnes have been either (or both) Montaudon and/or Jacquart. Both are "real" champagne, not French sparkling wine.

Espresso from the barista at the coffee lounge on Mariner (and I presume on Voyager, though I haven't experienced it) is quite good, and produced to order from a genuine espresso machine. There are also self-serve espresso machines nearby that produce a passable drink, but not as good.

The ship uses good quality Illy coffee in the Coffee Connection, and presumably elsewhere. The German self-serve coffee machines make as good a quality coffee as you would expect from a self-serve machine - OK at a pinch. The quality of coffee also depends on who makes it and we found the best in La Verandah/Setti Mari - maybe because of the Italian staff and focus of the area. We just used to ask whomever was serving us for a double espresso and we were very happy with what we received, I suspect sometimes these very experienced staff make it themselves. You can also ask for after dinner espressos in Compass Rose, but they weren't as well made as those from upstairs.

We found Coffee Connection variable as the staff rotate. Sometimes their hearts weren't in the coffee making and this was reflected in the results, but if we took the time to talk to the baristas about what we'd like, they tried their best to oblige.