Where to stay in St. Maarten pre-cruise

westchestermom

We just snagged a last-minute booking on the March 1 sailing out of St. Maarten. We're arriving on Friday the 28th and hotel rooms are scarce. Does anyone have an opinion on location or specific properties. I've seen the Divi and the Holland House mentioned here and neither have vacancies for that night. I'd prefer closer to the dock and don't want to spend the time (or cab fare) heading to the French side of the island for one night. Search engines keep pointing me to Simpson Bay or the Royal Palm...any experience out there? Thanks in advance!

I much prefer the French side and the ambiance of Marigot, especially. I like the Beach Plaza Hotel. It has a great location on the beach and is a very short walk from the center of town. I posted comments on Trip Advisor.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I much prefer the French side and the ambiance of Marigot, especially. I like the Beach Plaza Hotel. It has a great location on the beach and is a very short walk from the center of town. I posted comments on Trip Advisor.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

On a different note - did you do any diving when you were in St. Maarten?

Found a cancellation at the Pasanggrahan, right in Philipsburg. Does anyone have any experience with this hotel? We're not looking for a resort experience for this one night.

It get's great reviews on Trip Adviser: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147347-d147508-Reviews-Pasanggrahan_Royal_Guesthouse-Philipsburg_Sint_Maarten_St_Maarten_St_Martin.html

We stayed at Pasanggrahan pre and post cruise last May. Loved it! Great location, one side opens right up to the beach, the other opens to the street/ shopping area. Hotel has an older section, that is very nice, very tropical feel. Also a brand new section that is all suites. Large, well-appointed, huge bathrooms. More expensive. Suggest you get a room or suite on ocean side.

Beach boardwalk is a happening place....street musicians, funky bars/restaurants, beach toy rentals. Pasanggrahan has great open-air bar area that is very tropical, hotel has excellent food, altho dinner menu is limited. Outside the hotel, beach side and to the left, is a short walk (half a mile at the most) to a very good bar/restaurant, the open-air Greenhouse. Near the ferry landing.

Pasanggrahan let us leave a locked suitcase there during our Island Windjammers' sailing cruise, the case with our travel clothes and some fresh clothes for our post-cruise stay.

You will be IMPRESSED with the new suite. It is huge, and the bathroom is amazing, with separate bath, walk-in shower big enough for 2 and separate toilet room. The rest of the suite includes a large (see a trend here?) and comfy bed with draped netting, plus a separate sitting area with a couch, table and chairs, dresser, etc. The deck area is good-sized with a wonderful view of the boardwalk, beach and water. Enjoy!

I forgot to add: try the guavaberry coladas! You'll find these at every bar, since the guavaberry is grown there. If you like pina coladas, you should really like these. Pasanggrahan's are very good. I loved the open-air bar area at the hotel.....guavaberry coladas, under thatched palapas, gentle breezes rustling the flora and fauna while enjoying good life!

If only the 28th could get here more quickly! Your description of the guavaberry colada has me salivating. Any other tips for 24 hours in St. Maarten are more than welcome! We expect to be exhausted (very early flight), so are looking forward to recharging prior to sailing. But if there's anything you recommend that we absolutely have to do/see, I'm all ears (or eyes, as the case may be).

If only the 28th could get here more quickly! Your description of the guavaberry colada has me salivating. Any other tips for 24 hours in St. Maarten are more than welcome! We expect to be exhausted (very early flight), so are looking forward to recharging prior to sailing. But if there's anything you recommend that we absolutely have to do/see, I'm all ears (or eyes, as the case may be).

Not sure what your flights times are for arrival and departure but much to my surprised we had a great time sitting at the Sunset Bar watching the planes coming in during our stay on St. Maarten prior to our cruise on the Windsurf last March. With my husband "a big plane pilot" I didn't think it would be anything too special but not only was the sights of the planes flight low over the beach the view of the unbelievable water next to your table but to top it off the food was also good. What more could you want from paradise? Here's a few pictures for you to ponder while waiting for your vacation to begin.

Hope this helps.

Shirley

IMG_1712.jpg.1ee4dedd7848f37669d08c8e5e15702a.jpg

IMG_1747.jpg.2970e7c72dcb03da915df4fb99208cb9.jpg

IMG_1711.jpg.06526c6970c1e2afbf68b4fe7ad5d9fc.jpg

IMG_1710.jpg.32a82b0fba09c7de2312428b17ea1c67.jpg

Edited by "Wandering Wino's"

If this is your first visit to this island, you really should take a tour around the entire island. The French half is quite different from the Dutch half. Be sure to work out fees with driver in advance. Dollars are ok, at least in the Dutch half (which I think is far more friendly and welcoming, especially the restaurants). French half is especially known for its beaches. And if you like jewelry, you will find it in abundance in the Dutch half.....a jewelry shop is about as plentiful, or more so, than the bars! Lots of come-ons to get you inside, of course, but you can find some nice things at good prices. We didn't do a lot of touring, we were just there for 2 nights pre cruise (came in late for one of those) and 1 night after. We enjoyed the boardwalk area where we were....and those guavaberry coladas!

We had dinner one night at Pasanggrahan and 2 nights at the Green House, the one about a block or so to the left on the boardwalk. Lots of other options in the area. There's a really good ice cream place down the boardwalk to the right (and up some wide steps).

FYI: You will be near the port, but it's not walking distance especially if dragging suitcases. Take a cab. And once you get to the port area, you'll find it's a bit of a jaunt to where the ships come in. But there are some shops, a bar or two and a little store. When we were there last May, no restaurants in the port area. Just some sandwiches at the store or a hotdog at a bar. Not a lot of shade except at one of the bars. But you are going end of March, so it should be a comfy temp.

try tripadvisor.com for info on specific things to do on the island.

We talked to a couple of cab drivers and hired one to give us a tour around the island and then deliver us and our bags to the pier. It was a fun tour (we chose a excellent english speaking driver), took less than two hours with one stop at the airport beach bar(forgotten the name but very popular), then on to the foot of the pier.