Question about ES, SBCs and price drops..

tammymacb

I'm sorry Carnival gurus. I know you answer these questions all the time, but when even Carnival staff has different answers to the same question, I have to throw up my hands.

We're sailing in April. Two rooms booked on ES rate. My DH is the lead in one room, booked ES but is retired military and eligible for Carnival military rates- and has sailed with military rates in the past.

Currently the price of his room is $799 PLUS a $50 SBC that was part of a military deal last month.

Today the price of the cruise dropped to $749. In the past, I was told that the credits were totally separate from the price drop.

Recently, though, this hasn't been the case. They've given the lower rate and taken the SBC back.

So, if I put in a price drop for the $50 price difference, should Carnival

A- Drop the price to $749 and leave the $50 attached to the room

or

B- Drop the price to $749 and take back the $50 SBC which basically is a wash and is not a price drop for us?

Thanks.

I'm sorry Carnival gurus. I know you answer these questions all the time, but when even Carnival staff has different answers to the same question, I have to throw up my hands.

We're sailing in April. Two rooms booked on ES rate. My DH is the lead in one room, booked ES but is retired military and eligible for Carnival military rates- and has sailed with military rates in the past.

Currently the price of his room is $799 PLUS a $50 SBC that was part of a military deal last month.

Today the price of the cruise dropped to $749. In the past, I was told that the credits were totally separate from the price drop.

Recently, though, this hasn't been the case. They've given the lower rate and taken the SBC back.

or

B- Drop the price to $749 and take back the $50 SBC which basically is a wash and is not a price drop for us?

Thanks.

If your OBC is linked to a specific fare code and you change that fare code, then yes you will lose that OBC. So in this case yes you would lose that $50 OBC for the military rate.

or

Thanks.

I'm assuming by SBC you mean OBC - On Board Credit? If so, the correct answer is B - you will lose the $50 OBC.

If you switch to another fare that doesn't include OBC, you will lose that OBC ordinarilly. When comparing prices, you need to look at your base price, then deduct any promotional OBC that was included with whatever rate you booked. In your example, you paid $799, so when you deduct the $50 OBC, the price you need to use when checking for rate drops is $749. Anything less than $749 and you'd qualify for a rate drop (but again, you'd lose the $50 OBC if you price match to a new rate).

Hope that helps!

Edited by bigman01