onboard shore excursion credit

I was wondering if anyone has cruised and used this and might be able to answer a few questions.

*you can NOT use the onboard shore excursion credit until you are ONBOARD, so this means that you have to wait till onboard to book your excursions. *

Not a big deal unless you get onboard and find that the excursion your 10 yr old was hoping for is booked. After all... im not sure when we might be back to this port, if ever.

So... I wonder if they might let me book an excursion before i cruise, pay the cash out of pocket, then once onboard, cx it and use the onboard shore excursion credit to buy the excursion again??

I guess the question is this: if you book an excursion, is there a penalty if you cx once onboard? you might loose the money??

There is a penalty for cancelling on board. The terms say that it is subject to a 25% cancellation charge. And the remaining amount would be put onto the sail & sign account of the contact person, not returned to the credit card. So I don't know if a following booking of the same excursion would get taken off the shore excursion OBC, and the credit from the cancelled excursion could then be used for tips, drinks, etc. I would think that's how it would work, but I don't know. Within 24 hours of arrival into the port where the excursion is to take place, no refunds are given if YOU cancel.

I don't like that it can only be used on board. I never book excursions on board anymore. I very rarely book Carnival, but if I do, I always book it way in advance, since the price usually increases as it gets closer to sailing, and almost always is higher on board.

I had the same problem. So I asked the shore excursion department. This is the letter that they sent to me:

"Thank you for contacting Carnival Cruise Lines. We have received your email message and appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

Please go ahead and book the tour online. Once you have boarded the ship please stop by the Shore Excursion desk and they will make the adjustment on your onboard account.

If there is anything else we can do for you please do not hesitate to ask.

Regards,

Tour Operations

Carnival Cruise Lines"

Now I mentioned this before and got blasted by some other cruisers.:(

But personally I feel very comfortable that Carnival will honor the above email. Hope that helps.