Want to see Puffins on our Nordic Fjord Cruise, some help please

Hello fellow cruisers,

We are cruising in July and we have the following stops:

Eidfjord 7am-3pm

Alesund 10am-10pm

Geiranger 7am-16pm

Bergen 8am-16pm

We are going with my mom - so everything with boats is out, I'm already very pleased she is boarding a cruise ship. We also have a very Fjord heavy cruise, as we are already cruising Geirangerfjord and Hardangerfjord. We can take a quiet walk of around 5-6 hours, or a hike of 2 hours max I'm guessing fitness wise.

I have prepared these harbors as following:

Eidfjord, depending on who gets awake when, probably either the walk to the viking graves (90 minutes) or the Troll Train (50 minutes) and a look around town.

Alesund, if we were going alone, I'd take the RIB boat and see the Puffins on Runde. However, no way I'm getting my mom (who is very prone to sea sickness) on that boat. I've now planned mount Askla, guided tour at noon from city hall, some shopping and relaxing. Since we have so much time, I'm wondering if it's possible to rent a car and visit the Troll Road & Runde, but not sure if that's doable.

Geiranger, if my mom gets off (tender port... oops), we probably will take a late morning (10am) walk around town, do the HoHo to get up the mountains and maybe take a hike if everybody is fit. Not that much to do here, without either taking a ship excursion or booking a longer bus trip.

Bergen, walk around town, see the Bryggen area and take the fenucilar up and down or only up, depending on how we are doing.

Now I'm thinking, I have a mix of shopping, hiking and nature to make this a relaxing and exciting cruise, but how about those Puffins? Since we are not going up the Artic Circle (My first wish) I'm wondering if I'm missing out.

Can anybody help me with alternatives to find those puffins and take a look at our schedule.

Thanks so much,

cruise_bunnies

The only place to see these birds on your itinerary is at Runde. If you dont want to to the RIB renting a car is your other option. You would need to walk up to the mountain where the birds are. The majority of the birds are on the west side of the mountain. Having said that I am not sure you get such a great view of the birds by walking. You really need to be on the sea as the birds "live" on the cliffs.

To do the Trollstigen and Runde in one day might be very hectic even though you have 12 hrs in port. This is nothing I would suggest.

Choose one or the other and make it more relaxed and enjoyable together with what you already have planned for Ålesund.

What you have planned for Geiranger sounds like a good idea.

If you are lucky your ship might spend the extra money and use the floating docking facility in Geiranger. This means you can just walk off the ship to shore.:)

Lars

Lars,

Thanks for your quick response. I want to take the RIB, but I'm not comfortable with leaving my parents for the 2 hour trip. I feel you go on a holiday together for a reason. If you think we won't have a good view of the birds, it's not worth it to rent a car to go to Runde.

What would you do? The day I have scheduled now in Alesund or a car trip and why? We love to drive, so that's no problem and seeing as it's around €150 for a car, that's not a problem either. I think staying in town would be more relaxing, but worried I'd be missing sights I'd love to see.

I've seen that in geiranger, besides that HoHo bus, there is another excursion that would take 2 hours up to the mountain. Would you recommend that over the HoHo?

Thanks so much for helping out,

cruise_bunnies

Lars,

Thanks for your quick response. I want to take the RIB, but I'm not comfortable with leaving my parents for the 2 hour trip. I feel you go on a holiday together for a reason. If you think we won't have a good view of the birds, it's not worth it to rent a car to go to Runde.

What would you do? The day I have scheduled now in Alesund or a car trip and why? We love to drive, so that's no problem and seeing as it's around €150 for a car, that's not a problem either. I think staying in town would be more relaxing, but worried I'd be missing sights I'd love to see.

I've seen that in geiranger, besides that HoHo bus, there is another excursion that would take 2 hours up to the mountain. Would you recommend that over the HoHo?

Thanks so much for helping out,

cruise_bunnies

You are welcome:)

To put it like this: what is 2 hours apart in a 7 days cruise? it amounts to 0,000%..You get to spend the rest of the trip with your parents.

But, yes, I do see your point and understand fully.

You can do your schedule in Ålesund and do the Trollstigen. I love Trollstigen and I find the road and nature there to be spectacular. The viewpoint itself is breathtaking so the narrow road down the Trollstigen.

I just posted on the "Ålesund some advice please" thread a day trip to Hjorundfjord. This is also an amazing trip.

Toss a coin:D

I have a thread called."Can help with Ålesund and Norwegian Fjords". There are many suggestions there.

In Geiranger the Mt Dalsnibba tour stops at the said place and Flydallsjuvet viewpoint.

The HoHo bus stops at Flydalsjuet viewpoint and the viewpoint at the Eagleroad (Ørneveien)

Dalsnibba is wonderful but if you get rain and fog the day you visit Geiranger you will not be able to see much.

If you do the HoHo the viewpoints are not so high up so you stand a better chance of getting that splendid Kodak moment:)

To put it like this: what is 2 hours apart in a 7 days cruise? it amounts to 0,000%..You get to spend the rest of the trip with your parents.

But, yes, I do see your point and understand fully.

You can do your schedule in Ålesund and do the Trollstigen. I love Trollstigen and I find the road and nature there to be spectacular. The viewpoint itself is breathtaking so the narrow road down the Trollstigen.

I just posted on the "Ålesund some advice please" thread a day trip to Hjorundfjord. This is also an amazing trip.

Toss a coin:D

I have a thread called."Can help with Ålesund and Norwegian Fjords". There are many suggestions there.

Hahaha, Lars, I know what you mean, I know I'd feel selfish if I do it. I know my mom wouldn't mind. I know I still feel guilty all through the cruise. I'm a good catholic. :D:rolleyes:

Thanks for the extra information on Geiranger. That's an idea I hadn't thought of yet. I read the Can help with Ålesund and Norwegian Fjords thread as well, and picked up what I felt was right for us. It's hard because there are soooo much beautiful things to do. I know I should have talked everybody into a 14 day cruise.... :mad:

I don't think another Fjord would be on anybodies list, no matter how beautiful, since our trip is so Fjord heavy already. However, the Trollstigen would be good to do I think. It's 2 hrs to get there and 2 hrs back I think, plus some time to enjoy + shoot pictures. Would you recommend doing that in the morning and then coming back to Alesund or doing Alesund first and leaving after the noon walking tour? Since it's July we have a lot of sunlight, but maybe I'm missing something. I know the other cruise_bunny would vote for morning as he is always paranoid we will miss the ship.

Hahaha, Lars, I know what you mean, I know I'd feel selfish if I do it. I know my mom wouldn't mind. I know I still feel guilty all through the cruise. I'm a good catholic. :D:rolleyes:

Thanks for the extra information on Geiranger. That's an idea I hadn't thought of yet. I read the Can help with Ålesund and Norwegian Fjords thread as well, and picked up what I felt was right for us. It's hard because there are soooo much beautiful things to do. I know I should have talked everybody into a 14 day cruise.... :mad:

I don't think another Fjord would be on anybodies list, no matter how beautiful, since our trip is so Fjord heavy already. However, the Trollstigen would be good to do I think. It's 2 hrs to get there and 2 hrs back I think, plus some time to enjoy + shoot pictures. Would you recommend doing that in the morning and then coming back to Alesund or doing Alesund first and leaving after the noon walking tour? Since it's July we have a lot of sunlight, but maybe I'm missing something. I know the other cruise_bunny would vote for morning as he is always paranoid we will miss the ship.

I think you answered your own question :D Do the Trollstigen in the morning and Ålesund when you get back. Since you get so much daylight and you are in port until 10 am its only a matter of choice.

Round trip Ålesund-Trollstigen (including driving up/down the Trollstigen itself) will be approx 5 hours without any stops.

If you miss something you just have to come back on another cruise....You can even fly direct Amsterdam-Ålesund. Its only a 2 hrs flight.:):)

In Geiranger the Mt Dalsnibba tour stops at the said place and Flydallsjuvet viewpoint.

The HoHo bus stops at Flydalsjuet viewpoint and the viewpoint at the Eagleroad (Ørneveien)

Dalsnibba is wonderful but if you get rain and fog the day you visit Geiranger you will not be able to see much.

If you do the HoHo the viewpoints are not so high up so you stand a better chance of getting that splendid Kodak moment:)

It was a misty day when we arrived at Geiranger but we took the trip to the top of Mt Dalsnibba and found ourselves in bright sunshine because the cloud was about halfway down the mountain, still misty at Flydalsjuet viewpoint.

...and do get some wonderful chocolates at the chocolate shop in Geiranger...;):)

I don't think so. I still have chocolate from the chocolate museum in Berlin, from 3 years ago. I don't eat much chocolate, silly me. Other cruise_bunny told me they should take away my woman's license.

I'm sure we will come back, preferably by cruise instead of flying in. My parents are taking their first cruise and mom is terrible on boats, so that's one of the reasons why it's 7 days. They have already seen Sweden and Denmark, but are v. excited to see Norway.

Would you rent a car already for the July season or is walking in not such a bad thing to do?

Now that I have prepared the ports, it's time to prepare restaurants that can accommodate my mom's allergies. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for answering my questions,

cruise_bunnies

I don't think so. I still have chocolate from the chocolate museum in Berlin, from 3 years ago. I don't eat much chocolate, silly me. Other cruise_bunny told me they should take away my woman's license.

I'm sure we will come back, preferably by cruise instead of flying in. My parents are taking their first cruise and mom is terrible on boats, so that's one of the reasons why it's 7 days. They have already seen Sweden and Denmark, but are v. excited to see Norway.

Would you rent a car already for the July season or is walking in not such a bad thing to do?

Now that I have prepared the ports, it's time to prepare restaurants that can accommodate my mom's allergies. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for answering my questions,

cruise_bunnies

I would rent a car already.

Ask if they can deliver it to the cruise dock and program a GPS for you.

No chocolate..:eek: :D

It was a misty day when we arrived at Geiranger but we took the trip to the top of Mt Dalsnibba and found ourselves in bright sunshine because the cloud was about halfway down the mountain, still misty at Flydalsjuet viewpoint.

Well, there are all sorts of weather I suppose:) To bad we never can tell before..if there only was an app for that:D

I would rent a car already.

Ask if they can deliver it to the cruise dock and program a GPS for you.

No chocolate..:eek: :D

Hehehe, yeah, all my friends do the :eek:-thing, until they realize there is more chocolate for them. I usually give the chocolate gifts I get away.

Going to confer with my parents about the car trip. Thank you again for being so helpful. We will probably take the GPS with us from Holland. We live around 20-30 minutes from the port and we will return there. Simple to take whatever you want/need. :)

• 3 weeks later...

We took the rib boat trip to see the puffins. It was incredibly rough and although we are young and fit, in our early thirties, we found it tough. A lady on our boat, a young looking fifty-something, hurt her back during the trip. On a better sea day, it could be a lot of fun, and the puffins were cool, but we both concluded that with the experience we had it probably wasn't worth it.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Forums mobile app