HELP! Handicapped excursions in Montego Bay?!

grubb57

Hello,

My wife and I are going on a Carnival cruise to Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel this upcoming December. Coming with us are both of our parents, and my grandmother. My mother who is 48, is handicapped and uses crutches full time, or uses a scooter/wheelchair if there is a lot of walking or distance to cover for long periods of time. My grandmother is not handicapped, but also can't walk very far without hurting a lot. We're looking for an excursion they can both enjoy without having to stay on the ship all day while everyone else is having fun. Even a bus tour through the country would be better than nothing. Everyone else is the group is thinking about going to climb the falls or zip-ling and the falls. It would be nice if they could go with us even if they obviously couldn't climb the falls, but just to be there and experience another country.

Is there anyone else who has gone through this type of thing? In Grand Cayman and Cozumel we're all set with our excursions because they're easier to research and we've picked things that are more handicap accessible, but in Jamaica there's really not enough info to be able to tell in the descriptions or pictures. Maybe a site seeing tour, float the river on the rafts, or a good beach? Like I said, I'd really like for them to be able to see the falls and all stick together, but I'd feel a lot better sending them on an excursion where they wouldn't be constantly bombarded with tremendous amounts of walking or stairs.

The humming bird sanctuary in Rockland's might be a good choice for your group. It is only a 30 minute drive from the Montego Bay pier. You would only have to walk less than 100 feet on basically flat ground (grass) to get from your bus/taxi to the sitting areas. You will be given a "nip bottle" full of sugar water that you hold out in front of you. The humming birds will literally come and perch right on your finger while drinking the sugar water. It is really a nice trip. My 83 year old mother-in-law did the trip just fine.

On the way back to the ship, make a stop for lunch at either Jerky's or the Pork Pit in Montego Bay to sample some delicious Jamaican jerk chicken or pork.