Spa packages and thermal spa

Pamxox

Hi,

I am considering booking a spa package for my cruise on Fantasia in April as a treat to myself however I have never even had a massage before so I have no real idea what packages are. So here are my questions: What would you recommend for a spa newbie? and what are your must have spa treatments?

Also what exactly does the thermal spa access include? (I seem to have been going round in circles trying to find an answer to this)

Thanks

Pam.

Hi,

I am considering booking a spa package for my cruise on Fantasia in April as a treat to myself however I have never even had a massage before so I have no real idea what packages are. So here are my questions: What would you recommend for a spa newbie? and what are your must have spa treatments?

Also what exactly does the thermal spa access include? (I seem to have been going round in circles trying to find an answer to this)

Thanks

Pam.

Hi Pam.....I don't know much about the Europe cruises or Fantasia, in the US we can use the "spa" rooms at no cost - lovely steam and sauna, and on Poesia they had hot tubs in the spa area

Regarding a "package">> if you have never had massages/facials/body scrubs etc will you like it?? Most people do - some don't

Realistically prices on a cruise ship are more expensive than on land....however they do discount the prices and run a lot of specials. Generally specials for when in the ports, and a special the last day/s It may be a good option to just check out the spa when you board and wait for some specials. I think they have spa tours and a drawing the first day, some win, but eveyrone who "enters" gets a phone call from the spa manager offering a deal/special <grin>

My (nick)name is Esty cause I am /was an esthetician (tho have not practiced hands on in many years, I do marketing, consulting) so I do know a bit about the prices. For instance, most cruise lines lease out their spa Steiner and get their spa staff from English Speaking countries other than USA - British Isles, South Africa etc.

MSC has it's own spas staffed by Indonesians and they are quite good I hear, the spas have nice tranquil Indonesian ? music pumped through them

I will say - here in Fort Lauderdale we can get Steiner treatments at a fraction of the cost LOL>> as they have a beauty academy here to train both USA students (basic) and to train their techs for the cruiselines

I also like a good "groupon" or living social etc deal for an occasional massage <grin>

JMO - most people enjoy a massage, some don't like a body scrub or wrap ,especially if you are claustrophobic. A "general" or cleansing facial should be pretty relaxing - anything more may be too much time for your first time, and/or too invasive. Remember - you will also be in the sun, you will want to take pictures - you don't want your face to be all red

Edited by sharecruises

Thanks, that's really helpful. Can't wait till April.

Sorry about posting the same thread twice, I was having problems with the forum earlier and how no idea how to delete threads (that's if I can).

Pam.

In Europe you pay extra for the thermal area (usually €16 for an hour) which consists of steam room, sauna and hot tubs. I didn't think the one on the Fantasia was that great! just ok. The spa itself is a lovely area and there is a nice reception area with a bar serving vitamin drinks and frsh juices as well as a normal bar menu.

I invariably buy a spa package as I love treatments and it saves a lot of money. One of my favourites is the not stone massage, it is absolute bliss. I also find facials lovely and relaxing. Some packages are just a couple of treatments whereas others can include a lot. Some are only various types of massages and other have a variety of things. I like the Diamond Orchid or Platinum Rose, but then I invariably already have a gel manicure and pedicure at home before joining the ship, so don't want a package that includes manicures or pedicures. There are quite a lot to choose from. Have a read through them and see what appeals. If there isn't anything you don't understand, just ask on here. Chances are I'll have had it or know what it is!

In Europe you pay extra for the thermal area (usually €16 for an hour) which consists of steam room, sauna and hot tubs. I didn't think the one on the Fantasia was that great! just ok. The spa itself is a lovely area and there is a nice reception area with a bar serving vitamin drinks and frsh juices as well as a normal bar menu.

I invariably buy a spa package as I love treatments and it saves a lot of money. One of my favourites is the not stone massage, it is absolute bliss. I also find facials lovely and relaxing. Some packages are just a couple of treatments whereas others can include a lot. Some are only various types of massages and other have a variety of things. I like the Diamond Orchid or Platinum Rose, but then I invariably already have a gel manicure and pedicure at home before joining the ship, so don't want a package that includes manicures or pedicures. There are quite a lot to choose from. Have a read through them and see what appeals. If there isn't anything you don't understand, just ask on here. Chances are I'll have had it or know what it is!

I was going to post that if you want to know about MSC Spas for European sailings then ask Amo.

The packages are supremely good value. The price for a cruise long access to the thermal area once onboard is usually 99€ alone - the packages start from €160 so good value.

Try and establish what your problem areas are. For me it's dry skin so if I'm choosing spa treatments on holiday I will go for exfoliant and peeling - like a Turkish bath sort of thing. Google anything you're not sure of and ask on here. There are enough ladies that spa who can help!

Oh if it includes the use of the spa then booking some package is a good deal (in Europe)

I agree about the nail services - maybe ok if on a long cruise but I guess many of us prefer our "own" place/s for that - and something like "gel" nails etc may not be available on the ship

hot stone massages are popular - and very relaxing

JMO I would NOT do something like microdermabrasion on a cruise - your skin may react, need to stay out of sun, go for a regular/"spa" facial

A funny thing : poor MSC must put little disclaimers on the steam/sauna in the usa warning people that they must keep their bathing suits ON , LOL....even tho the rooms are segregated by the sexes. LOL

My first .."Euro" cruise - on Poesia we did have European ladies who would be topless or naked in the sauna/steam, us poor Puritans didn't know where to look or what to do LOL....we also saw speedos on the lido..a few topless....ohh la la. Well I have been to St Martin and I only saw some very old French guys strutting around totally naked - eek!

Hey maybe a young/hot guy would be umm...interesting LOL

don't know how it is in Europe but Europeans are amazed we would wear bathing suits in a sauna or steam LOL

Divina has the warnings - LOL...maybe they added them on the way over on the Transatlantic just for the USA? <grin>

don't know how it is in Europe but Europeans are amazed we would wear bathing suits in a sauna or steam LOL

Divina has the warnings - LOL...maybe they added them on the way over on the Transatlantic just for the USA? <grin>

The ones getting naked in the regular saunas are usually old northern europeans. And I agree, sometimes it's a bit disgusting since it is a very small area. In Spain people usually wear bathing suits or towels too (according to my experience).

Even if topless and nude people on the beach are common, the attitude towards nudity in small and enclosed spaces is different.

The ones getting naked in the regular saunas are usually old northern europeans. And I agree, sometimes it's a bit disgusting since it is a very small area. In Spain people usually wear bathing suits or towels too (according to my experience).

Even if topless and nude people on the beach are common, the attitude towards nudity in small and enclosed spaces is different.

I've nearly always visited the thermal area when cruising and I can honestly say I've never seen anyone without a bathing suit in either unisex or single sex facilities. I don't think the stickers sharecruiser mentioned were put on the Divina just for it going to America. I think it's a fleet wide standard.

Speedos are common though on all shapes, sizes and ages.

Now you have set me off. Please do not lump we Northern Europeans together in this regard.

I have been many saunas in Turkish hotels where the guests are predominantly German. The first time, I opened the sauna door to be horrified at the site of a sauna full of naked men and women. I closed the door and left without placing a foot inside.

The next time, slightly better mentally prepared, I was determined not to let them put me off. I went into the sauna wearing shorts and immediately drew complaints, in German, that I should not be wearing shorts. I ignored them but their constant chattering about the "Englander" made my time less than relaxing.

By chance that night, it was a 'meet the management' party and I mentioned my experience in the sauna. The management were horrified too, saying nudity outside private rooms was not only against the Turkish culture but illegal. Sure enough a notice appeared on the sauna door but i never went back to see if it had had any effect.

Over the years, I have learned only ever to use the hotel sauna when it is likely to be deserted, because of these issues. I leave when the first naked person enters. It is not that I am a prude but it simply is not necessary or helpful for the action of the sauna to strip naked and it is disrespectful to others. To be told or expected to strip off by a group who think they own the sauna and that their way is the only way is the limit of my endurance.

So, that told, this is one of my stories that has had a retelling over the years when appropriate. You would be amazed at the number of other Brits this has happened to in hotels all around the Med and the culprit nationality is always the same!

There, that feels better.

Tim.

Edited by Skipper Tim