Isa65- Please help with our trip in June 2014!

Klcypher1

On June 26th, 2014 We will be arriving in Curacao at 1pm and will be in port until 11pm. I am traveling with a group of 8 that includes 2 adults, 4 in their 20's, a 17 year old and a 10 year old. I have seen many posts that you have responded to with excellent advice so I am hoping you can help us! After doing some research and reading reviews I believe that the two best options for our group are as fallows.

-A private tour through Irie Tours to the East Side or

-A walk to the bus terminal hitting things like shops, the Queen Emma Bridge, the floating market, and the old market. From there heading to a beach Caracas Bay or Cabana/Mambo Beach.

Questions I have:

-How long would the walk take to the bus depot excluding stops along the way?

-I heard you can get a batitos (a drink, sorry for spelling) for $2 at a stand near the floating market, is that still true and what do you think?

-I'm looking to try a pastiche (again sorry for spelling, the fried dough with cheese) when we are there, is their a place around the markets to get one?

-We love to snorkel, would Mambo, Cabana, or Caracas area of the beach be better for that?(I know Mambo and Cabana are the same beach but which area of the beach would be best between those, and them compared to Caracas Bay which has the tugboat)

-I've seen that some people are having a hard time finding the tugboat at Caracas Bay from the shore, do you have any tips to help?

-Some of us like to sit in the shade, do all of these beaches offer shaded areas?

-I'm hearing mixed reviews about the price of a cab (for 4) to the beaches. Prices are ranging from $12-25. I don't know which area our ship will dock, but do you have any idea what they normally run?

I know this is a lot of questions so I'm hoping you can help with some if not all. Thanks for your help in advance as I would have a lot more questions if for not reading your responses to posts.

On June 26th, 2014 We will be arriving in Curacao at 1pm and will be in port until 11pm. I am traveling with a group of 8 that includes 2 adults, 4 in their 20's, a 17 year old and a 10 year old. I have seen many posts that you have responded to with excellent advice so I am hoping you can help us! After doing some research and reading reviews I believe that the two best options for our group are as fallows.

-A walk to the bus terminal hitting things like shops, the Queen Emma Bridge, the floating market, and the old market. From there heading to a beach Caracas Bay or Cabana/Mambo Beach.

Both options are nice. Two entirely different experiences, though. But both enjoyable for everyone in your group based on the ages, especially since Irie will leave you at Seaquarium beach if you wish.

Questions I have:

-How long would the walk take to the bus depot excluding stops along the way?

Excluding stops, I would say 15 minutes. It's really not hard. If I can do it, you all can do it....:D

-I heard you can get a batitos (a drink, sorry for spelling) for $2 at a stand near the floating market, is that still true and what do you think?

There are several batido stands. My favorite one is right after you exit Riffort Village (pier area) you will see some souvenir stands. Across the street from these stands and from the taxi parking you will see a small hut on wheels. That's a batido stand. I love the Mango, the Watermelon, or Papaya or Pineapple or or or ....

-I'm looking to try a pastiche (again sorry for spelling, the fried dough with cheese) when we are there, is their a place around the markets to get one?

It will be somewhat difficult to find a pastechi in the afternoon. Most people buy them in the morning. Your best bet is AFTER you pass the souvenier stalls and the taxi parking, but before you reach the pontoon bridge - there is a ROUND building selling snacks. They sell pastechis there. Or when you get off the Pontoon bridge, straight ahead is Main Street. Right at the beginning of Main street there is a small snack place also sellign pastechis.

-We love to snorkel, would Mambo, Cabana, or Caracas area of the beach be better for that?(I know Mambo and Cabana are the same beach but which area of the beach would be best between those, and them compared to Caracas Bay which has the tugboat)

Mambo/Cabana/Seaquarium is a man made beach, so snorkeling would not be as good as at other beaches. But I still prefer them to Caracasbaai.

Caracasbaai does not have restrooms, beach chairs and very limited shade.

-I've seen that some people are having a hard time finding the tugboat at Caracas Bay from the shore, do you have any tips to help? The best place to snorkel is to go a little further than Caracasbaai (Baya Beach), but unfortunately there have been lots of crime in that area lately since there is no security or life guards present any longer....

-Some of us like to sit in the shade, do all of these beaches offer shaded areas?

Cabana Beach and others on the stretch will provide plenty of shade.

-I'm hearing mixed reviews about the price of a cab (for 4) to the beaches. Prices are ranging from $12-25. I don't know which area our ship will dock, but do you have any idea what they normally run?

Standard rate is $20 (for 4) each way.

I know this is a lot of questions so I'm hoping you can help with some if not all. Thanks for your help in advance as I would have a lot more questions if for not reading your responses to posts.

Ask away!!

Since this topic is specifically asking Isa65 questions about Curaçao, I hope nobody minds me asking a few more of my own.

Since US$ and the guilder are both in circulation, do shops/restaurants/venders provide prices in both or just do the math on the spot? An internet search suggests a US$ = 1.77 guilders. What is the exchange rate on the street?

The majority of my trip will concentrate on the historic architecture (and I doubt I'll have enough time to explore much more than the Punda area); but, it would be sad if I missed something completely unique that can't be found anywhere else in the world. I'm not interested in beaches or snorkeling but am game for almost anything else. What thing(s) absolutely need to be seen or done that are unique to Curaçao?

Regards,

Wayne

What are some great beaches to snorkel at that are close to the cruise dock as we won't have much time between arrival and sunset? Preferably ones with a restroom and that are safe! Also which ones should orient tours take us to if we go through them? Thanks for your help isa 65! As for more questions asked to isa65 I'm ok with it as long as they are. I'm also open to any other locals helping to answer some questions on "the best of Curaçao."

Edited by Klcypher1
Mistake in wording

What are some great beaches to snorkel at that are close to the cruise dock as we won't have much time between arrival and sunset? Preferably ones with a restroom and that are safe! Also which ones should orient tours take us to if we go through them? Thanks for your help isa 65! As for more questions asked to isa65 I'm ok with it as long as they are. I'm also open to any other locals helping to answer some questions on "the best of Curaçao."

There aren't any great beaches near the dock

Curacaoqueen and other locals,

What are good beaches to visit in Curacao that can be done in the short time I have on the island (2-11pm)? I think we will be doing a quick walk through downtown to see some of the sites than grabbing 2 cabs or a bus to the beach and back. Thanks for everyone's help ahead of time!

Are you on the Carnival Freedom sailing on June 22? Have you decided what to do? We have a group of 12 with 2 in their 20's, and 6 between 17-19. We have been given group rates with Seavis Tours for Dominican Republic and I have been asking about group rates with other excursions. We were considering Irie Tours to the East Side as well. I would love to do a sunset cruise, but the rates are expensive ($54pp) for a 2 hour tour. Does anyone have any recommendations for sunset tours?

• 2 weeks later...

chesterka,

Yes we are traveling on the Carnival Freedom June 22nd, we haven't officially decided what to do but I believe we would like to visit the Curacao liquor factory then the beach. We're still deciding what beach we would like to visit at this point. As for other islands, we broke up the islands between the 4 of us in our 20's to branch out and come back to the group with ideas on what we think is the best bang for our buck so I can't comment on DR at this time. I will let you know when I hear back!