Question about ages in kids camps

CruisingColleen

I am going to be going on my second cruise in 13 days and 3 hours:), and I have a question about the kids camps. My one son is 11 but will be 12 in about a month and a half. My other son is 13. I want them in the same group the Circle C for 12 to 14 year olds. Has anyone heard of them allowing this. I just tried calling and they said I would have to talk to them on the ship. My 11 (just about 12) is a big kid almost around 5'11, I don't think he needs to be in with the 2 to 11 year olds. Is there a management number I could call and try to get this done before we go?

My 13 year old will not go without his brother.... Looking for just a little time without the kids by our side!!!!;)

We were able to move our almost 12 yo son to the teen program on Royal two yrs ago and we were also allowed to move our almost 9 yo from the 6-8 to the 9-11 group to be with her sister last month on Glory. They said they almost always did this if it was close to their birthday when we asked on Glory.

Just be respectful, explain your reasons. They did say if she was not doing ok, they would move her back down.

Good luck with that. We have had the same experience in the past and have always been told no. We are going on a cruise on Saturday..my son is 13 and my daughter is 11. My daughter is actually taller and more mature then my son but I am expecting she will still have to be with the 9-11 year olds because Carnival has never made any exceptions for us.

I've read that it is more difficult to switch if there are a lot of kids on board for a particular sailing, and I have also read of people having an easier time registering for the wrong group if they have not already registered in the camp they are suppose to be in. So, I would take that to mean that you should not pre-register on-line for the group they are suppose to be in (which is the only group you can register in on-line) if you are wanting to switch once you get on board. I have heard of more people not being allowed than being allowed, but that may be just who is posting (the ones that aren't happy with the decision). Given how close it is to your son's b'day your chances are probably better than many. You do have to wait until on board though.

Circle C tends to do a lot of sports activities out on some of the main decks, and spend less time right in their clubs, and the kids are not "looked after" or kept track of like they are in Camp Carnival, so even if he is not allowed to switch, I am sure if he went with his brother to an activity out on one of the main decks, they are not going to turn him away. Many times when my son went to Circle C, he would get there and the door would be locked with no-one there as there was some activity going on elsewhere (usually sports related).

Also, in Camp Carnival your son would find a bunch of other 11 year olds that seem to big for that club. Often we think our kids are too old for camp carnival when they are 11, but they do not mix the 11 year olds in with the little ones, there are 2 sides to that club.

Think of it the way you think of school, no matter how tall you are, if you are 11 you tend to be in grade 6, and if they do an activity with grades 4, 5, and 6, they still fit in because there are lots of other big grade 6's, you would not suggest that they be moved to be with the grade 7 and 8's.

It is a different story though when you have 2 kids travelling together that want to hang out together, so it would be nice if ships were more accommodating when that happens.

On the Disney ships they have moved to having clubs with overlapping age ranges, so if you are 11 on a Disney ship you have a choice between two clubs, and that helps a lot (after you pick one, you can't switch to the other). Also on Disney, the club for the kids in the 11-13 year old range had a lot of open houses, so that kids could visit each other's clubs. It is a step in the right direction.

Thanks for all the replies! I think we will just do that and wait until we are on board, I also think that we will just have them follow the crowd and join a few of the family events to get to try and know people on the ship too. The problem is two fold in that my youngest is the most outgoing and my older one is very shy and will not go without his brother. Usually the youngest leads and my older follows until he feels comfortable. Its always interesting traveling with kids! Thanks!

I am going to be going on my second cruise in 13 days and 3 hours:), and I have a question about the kids camps. My one son is 11 but will be 12 in about a month and a half. My other son is 13. I want them in the same group the Circle C for 12 to 14 year olds. Has anyone heard of them allowing this. I just tried calling and they said I would have to talk to them on the ship. My 11 (just about 12) is a big kid almost around 5'11, I don't think he needs to be in with the 2 to 11 year olds. Is there a management number I could call and try to get this done before we go?

My 13 year old will not go without his brother.... Looking for just a little time without the kids by our side!!!!;)

I typically cruise on my daughter's birthday and it's been a coin toss as to whether they let her to go the next age group or stay with the original... we've been told yes as many times as we've been told no. I'd expect, and be prepared, for the answer to be a no.

The 2-11 group isn't 2 year olds playing with 11 year olds... it's more broken down, 2-5, 6-8, 9-11 I believe is the breakdown. With generally age-appropriate activities for each age group.

We've never been told no.

Go to the counselor of the older group. If they approve it (they always have for us) it's a go. Tell them why, be firm, stick to your guns and have them explain how it's fun for an 11 1/2+ year old to hang with a 6 year old.

BTW, we had 1500 kids on the Dream NYE sailing this year. Tell me that doesn't send shivers down the spines of Thurston and Mrs. Howell.

Edited by fuddrules

I typically cruise on my daughter's birthday and it's been a coin toss as to whether they let her to go the next age group or stay with the original... we've been told yes as many times as we've been told no. I'd expect, and be prepared, for the answer to be a no.

The 2-11 group isn't 2 year olds playing with 11 year olds... it's more broken down, 2-5, 6-8, 9-11 I believe is the breakdown. With generally age-appropriate activities for each age group.

According to my 11 year old (at the time), "I'm with 6 year olds, its not fun and I'm not going again."

But then again my 11 year old also didn't wear a bracelet with muster station on it. She never got one? However, my 11-year old doesn't need to wear one, she figures the ship out within a few hours. My wife has yet figure out a ship and needs the wrist band, yet, they don't make her wear one.

Edited by fuddrules

We've never been told no.

Go to the counselor of the older group. If they approve it (they always have for us) it's a go. Tell them why, be firm, stick to your guns and have them explain how it's fun for an 11 1/2+ year old to hang with a 6 year old.

BTW, we had 1500 kids on the Dream NYE sailing this year. Tell me that doesn't send shivers down the spines of Thurston and Mrs. Howell.

Thanks for this! I will just go to the older group when I take my older son. I can take Spencer with me... he's almost 5'10 so i think they will understand.

Thanks for this! I will just go to the older group when I take my older son. I can take Spencer with me... he's almost 5'10 so i think they will understand.

LOL, with the 5' 10". He would feel out of place at Camp Carnival. My daughter (below) is tiny and it wasn't for her (after age 10).