Our trip on the Amadeus Symphony

travelling fools

What a great trip we just came back from!

We spent 3 days in Paris,14 days from Treir to Budapest and 3 days in Budapest.My favourites were Rottenburg,Vienna and Budapest but they were all lovely.We enjoyed sitting on the sun decks and seeing all the tiny towns and castles along the river.

I know if you a thinking of going on a river cruise you will probably like reading reviews re the ship like I did before we went so here is mine.

Staff:

The staff on this ship were one of the best we have ever been on.They always had smiles with their great service.Our favourites were Danielle[she was always so funny] and Jose the waiter who was always friendly.He would say I might not be the best waiter but I try.He was the best with us .You can sit whever you want-no fixed sitting but we always tried to get his section.

Cruise director-Wade.

He was always in a good mood,very helpful,funny and informative.He esp went out of his way if someone could not get around as well as others in making arrangemaents so they did not miss out on anything.You could ask that man anything and if he did not know he would find out.He had his challenges on this cruise with the water levels rising so fast.He was very fast in making alternate arrangements with the captain so our trip continued on with very little changes.Other river cruises on the Danube were not so fortunate as they were stuck for a few days.

Tours:

That was the only thing I personally did not like at times.The local guides went on too long with info you would not remember.For my husband and I we prefer the highlights not every date and detail.But you always had the option of wandering around on your own and meeting up later.

There were plenty of tours and if you didn't want to go you could stay on the ship and relax or wander on your own.

Rooms:

We were on the lower deck as I prefer to have the extra money they charge for upper to shop with.The cabins are the same with the exception of being higher and a little samller windows.NONE are small like portholes.Upper ones are deeper-that's all.We were about 2 feet above water level but you could still see everything.

We do not spend much time in our cabin anyway.We prefer outside on sundeck or in lounge with wall to wall windows.

The rooms come with shampoo,soap and hairdryers.They have storage under bed for suitcases,dresser,chair and closet.TV has english CNN and movies.Other local stations and some radio.

Food:All very good.

Breakfast -buffet style with egg/omellette station,cereals,fresh fruit,yougurt,bacon,cold cuts,cheese,toast and lots of rolls and pastries.

Lunch-buffet style with 2 soups,hot entrees with vegetables,sandwiches,usually 4-5 salads and dessert.

Dinner-sit down with appetizer,salad,2 choices of soup,choice of 3 main courses[1 -vegetarian] and dessert table filled with different choices.Desserts excellent!Also with dinner wine is included-red or white bottomless glass.

Ship:

They have an exercise room,small wading pool on sundeck,hairdresser,library,games and email station [2 euros per email going out and free coming in to you.

They have a nice lounge with piano player and some nights local entertainment and there is a crew show.

Well if anyone has any questions -ask away!

I would highly recommend Amadeus Waterways!

We are doing Budapest to Prague on the Poetry next week. I am so glad to hear you had a great time. I do have a couple of questions. Did the rooms on the ship also have conditioner as well as shampoo? Did you stay at the Sofitel in Budapest and if so, what toiletries were there (I'm trying to pack light!)? Did your itinerary include the optional excursion to Salzberg, and if so, did you go?Can you explain more about the water level problem; is the river still rising and expected to interfere with travel?

Thanks for any info. you can provide--I'm so excited!

Carol

I only had a pair of slacks done and it was $6.00 US.I took a tiny bottle with Tide with softener in it and washed out tops and underwear.They always dried overnight.

The shampoo had conditioner in it.I prefered my own.However try theirs and if you don't like it buy some at the drug stores along the way.We found things reasonable.

Yes we stayed at the Sofitel In Budapest for 3 nights.They supplied nice shampoo,hand lotion and had a hair dryer.The location is perfect!You can walk to everything and if you do buy too much at the market and want to take the tram back to the hotel it is across the street.It is the #2 and it cost 1.80 fr when they collect.Be prepared for rude and gruff front desk staff.The breakfast buffet was included in ours and was very good.They were still doing renovations last week when we were there.

Salzberg-We did not go as we had been there before.However the ones that went had a good time but it was a long day.They showed them the "Sound of Music" area and the town.

We did go to the concert in Vienna and had a wonderful time.I thought it would be just music but they had singers and a liitle comedy act with the musicians.

The river was high when we were there and some of the ships have problems getting under the bridges along the way if it is too high.Also there was a unusual swell that caused flooding in some towns and also prevented cruises coming from Budapest to Germany to come up for 2 days.We were going in the opposite direction.We did have to skip Rudesheim in order to get under the bridge before the river rose too much.Otherwise we would have not gotten under the bridge in time.

Unfortunately we heard there were 14 people killed because of flooding in Romania.We did not go that far.

Before you pack I must tell you I took too many dresses.There is only 1 dress-up night and the rest of the time it is casual.Only rule no shorts at dinner.Slacks and skirts seem to be the norm on our cruise.

• 2 months later...
I only had a pair of slacks done and it was $6.00 US.I took a tiny bottle with Tide with softener in it and washed out tops and underwear.They always dried overnight.

The shampoo had conditioner in it.I prefered my own.However try theirs and if you don't like it buy some at the drug stores along the way.We found things reasonable.

Yes we stayed at the Sofitel In Budapest for 3 nights.They supplied nice shampoo,hand lotion and had a hair dryer.The location is perfect!You can walk to everything and if you do buy too much at the market and want to take the tram back to the hotel it is across the street.It is the #2 and it cost 1.80 fr when they collect.Be prepared for rude and gruff front desk staff.The breakfast buffet was included in ours and was very good.They were still doing renovations last week when we were there.

We are doing the Legendary Danube in April & will end our trip in Budapest. We need to get from the Elizabeth Bridge Dock to the Ferihegy Airport. Has anyone used the World Airport Transer (WAT) company? I also read http://www.hotelonlinehungary.com/budapest-airport-transfer-asp was good. Anyone used this service?

Good to hear about the Amadeus Symphony, that's the ship we're sailing on for the Christmas river cruise. We are really excited and looking forward to our trip during the holiday season.

Thanks for posting!

Thanks for the positive feedback on the Symphony. I am going with a group of friends next September, Legendary Danube from Prague to Budapest. I've forwarded your comments to everyone who is going, and I'm sure they will appreciate the information.

By the way, this cruise is almost entirely sold out, but I still have 2 cabins available in my group reservation. There is a $ savings, too. If anyone is interested, let me know. cruisemuse@yahoo.com

Mary Beth

• 2 weeks later...
We will be doing the Prague to Budapest in July 2006 using Amadeus. Thanks for the review. I look forward to hearing more. How was the weather in July?

When is your trip in July? WE have booked July 12 on the Amadagio.

Don M. If memory serves me, you were on the Baltic threads. I went this past summer in July on Star Princess. About the river cruise, we don't have the exact information because someone where my husband works is doing the booking for a group from the university. I hope it is the one you mentioned because it works better with my work. Marlyne

Don M. If memory serves me, you were on the Baltic threads. I went this past summer in July on Star Princess. About the river cruise, we don't have the exact information because someone where my husband works is doing the booking for a group from the university. I hope it is the one you mentioned because it works better with my work. Marlyne

Yes, Marlyne you have a good memory. I hope your Baltic experience was as good as ours. Let me know if we are going to be on the same river cruise in July. dondog49@aol.com

Yes, Marlyne you have a good memory. I hope your Baltic experience was as good as ours. Let me know if we are going to be on the same river cruise in July. dondog49@aol.com

Archived