Venice Cancellations?

Hi All

Had a message from Thomsons this morning...

"I've contacted our Cruise Team this morning who've advised that they're working with the Venetian authorities in regards to putting alternative plans into place for any cruises upcoming. However this will not affect your cruise with us."

Hope it all works out as I would be disappointed to miss out on Venice.

I would be devastated to have missed Venice it's truly mind blowing on Majesty with the singers and the scenery I will never for get it if you get there video it it's a never to be forgotten experience

Been before pat and it was the same then so very much look forward to returning

Hi All

Had a message from Thomsons this morning...

"I've contacted our Cruise Team this morning who've advised that they're working with the Venetian authorities in regards to putting alternative plans into place for any cruises upcoming. However this will not affect your cruise with us."

Hope it all works out as I would be disappointed to miss out on Venice.

When is your cruise Sugarloaf?

Found this which might mean bad news for us Majesty cruisers this year

The ban on cruise ships weighing over 96,000 tons in Venice has been pushed back

A controversial ban that will prevent cruise ships weighing more than 96,000 gross tons from travelling through the city of Venice has been pushed back, with plans to implement the policy from January 1st 2015, instead of November 1st 2014.

The restrictions, announced late last year, were developed in response to concerns from environmentalists and preservationists, who claim high levels of ferry traffic throughout the city centre are damaging the Italian tourist hotspot.

A 20 per cent reduction on the number of ships weighing more than 40,000 gross tons is already in effect, with 19 cruise calls cancelled this year by MSC Cruises, Pullmantur and Thomson as a result of the legislation.

The policies were announced last year and caused much debate among those in the cruise industry and passengers alike, particularly those who had already booked cruises in advance that might now not be able to offer the promised ports.

Edited by Jim The Scot

Well I received a telephone call and email this afternoon from our TA advising of the flight change I had spotted on line 2 two months ago! I asked specifically about the Venice port of call and the likely hood of any changes and this was their reply:

At the moment, we have not been advised of any itinerary changes for the summer months. The cruise ships being allowed into Venice have been reduced by 20% for this year and will be reduced further at the end of the year. However, the ships tenders are still being granted access to the city. Unfortunately, any cruise itinerary is subject to change and this could be amended at any time. Obviously if you are not happy with the amendments, there is always the option to transfer your holiday but depending on the change, it is normally subject to an administration fee.

This was their response to me protesting that a change of flight time from 3.15pm to 5.30am was indeed significant:

I understand your frustrations with the changes to your flights for your forthcoming cruise. Unfortunately, the times of our flights are planned many months in advance and are always subject to change. The new times are not classed as a significant change as they have not been changed by more than 12 hours and therefore, we cannot offer any compensation for the inconvenience. We will be offering our customers an Online Check-In Service during the summer which will mean you don't have to get to the airport as early. We can look at changing your flights to an alternative airport in the UK however this would incur administration fees and would also be subject to change.

So in other words Thomson can make significant changes to both my flight times and cruise itinerary and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it! We've booked 2 weeks b2b in two cabins costing £10,000+ Their customer service sucks!!

Edited by jojo67

Celebration in the Adriatic! Can you tell me more please? Celebration is our favourite but need a new itinerary.

Did a blog post about it here:

http://sailawaycruiseblog.wordpress.com/2014/02/16/two-ships-to-sail-the-adriatic-for-thomson-cruises-2015-programme/

Celebration is also my favourite so very looking forward to seeing what they will be offering itinerary wise! :)

Thomson didn't even think that a change of ship from Destiny to Majesty was a significant change although a lot of people booked especially for the Destiny. Customer service is absolutely shocking now and along with all the other extras such as paying to choose cabin, cost of safes etc we have moved back to P&O where our loyalty is recognised.