port or starboard on pride of America

charliesnow

I opted for starboard on the POAM. It appears from the itenerary that this side has the best chance of facing the islands on most cruising days (nights?). Also, after reviewing pictures of ships in the Hawaiin ports, it appears that most do dock on the port side (hence the name). While this does give you a land view, the ports tend to be in industrial areas with tank farms, noise, lights, and such. Accordingly, I thought the privacy of the harbor side would be better, still getting to look across it to the mountains. Of course, the side they dock on is subject to change, but I felt we had the best chance for a peaceful balcony on the starboard. Hopefully we can get some additional info from some who have actually been on POA/POAM.

Aloha!

When I booked my agent specifically said that starboard would be better for sitting on the verandah for a great view during the night time sail by of Kilauea.

Island viewing looks equally good from both sides.

FP:D

On the Aloha last year, we had a starboard cabin. There are plus's and minuses to it:

1.) Plus: We are on the side that faces the lava flow. Nice because it is late at night and you can just go to bed afterward!

Minus: The port side faces the Napali Coast on Kuaui, Starboard faces out to sea.

2.) Ports: They sometimes dock different directions, but this is the usualy docking angles based on what I am seeing on the CAM still.

Plus: On Maui, the Starboard side is facing the lush Iao Valley area while the port side faces the industrial port. On Hilo, the Starboard side faces toward the town of Hilo while port faces the shipyard.

Minus: On Kauai, the starboard side usually faces the Industrial area.

In Honolulu, I would say it is a toss up. The Starboard side faces the downtown and is right alongside the pier building with a lot of noise from boarding passengers to cargo/luggage being loaded by forklift. (it is neat though to watch them load and unload that stuff.) The Port side faces the harbor which is basically other ships, the Coast Guard station, the airport and off in the distance, Pearl Harbor area.

I would say Starboard is the better side IMO

Archived