Is junkanoo nasty?

ARI421

Its not bad at all just not as nice as the ocean beaches of Cable and Cabbage. Did not see any trash or broken glass as some Debbie downer's reported. The restroom was decent and plenty of food and drink options.

When I went there was a musician playing reggae and Jimmy Buffet songs.

Sheraton or atlantis it's not!! You can have a GREAT time at this beach. Walking distance from ship--$9.99 for 3 local beers and 3 shots--gave the shots to some college kids and they were in heaven. Island music played over speakers--Can rent chairs from locals- Bathroom- on a 1-10 about a 7 with an attendant working hard on a public beach.

Go there--take a look--have the 3 beer special--if it is not what you like-take the Jitney to the Sheraton. At least you can say u were there.!!

This is a Blue collar fun beach. Just like the Rockaways Enjoy!!

We enjoyed it very much. Need to rent chairs if you want one. The food and drinks were fine. Even have some shopping you can do with a mini straw market and a couple people walking around. Avoid the coconut waters as they are not cold. The beers were $3-4 bucks and sodas about $3. The 3 beer and 3 shot bar/shack says it has wifi too, did not try it though. If you go all the way down there is a little pier that goes out into the water and we found a spot under a few palm trees actually. Not high end for certain but for free the kids had fun and the adults relaxed.

We were in Nassau on Thursday. Personally, I was less than thrilled. It was dirtier than any US beach that I have been to. Broken beer bottle glass all over. My kids: 18, 12, & 4 played in the water & on the beach some but they did have to watch where they stepped. I went up on the cement pier to get pics of them playing. From up above, i could see all kinds on trash in the water. Grocery store bags, plastic cups etc. The bathrooms were clean.

My kids still enjoyed themselves & it beat paying for a day pass, as we didnt have much swim time.

We probably will try a different beach next time. However, if you go, dont have too high of expectations. Again, we were there this week, Thurs. 2/20/14. Arrived at beach around 3:30-4pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Junkanoo beach is the the busiest beach on the island. I read an article that said over a million people a year visit that beach. It's all cruise passengers. Keep in mind that entire walk from the cruise port is along the coastline. Junkanoo Beach is the first stop...if you rented mopeds or took a cab tour and rode along the coastline there are other places to stop and swim...There are beautiful pristine beaches about a 15-20 min drive west of there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheraton or atlantis it's not!! You can have a GREAT time at this beach. Walking distance from ship--$9.99 for 3 local beers and 3 shots--gave the shots to some college kids and they were in heaven. Island music played over speakers--Can rent chairs from locals- Bathroom- on a 1-10 about a 7 with an attendant working hard on a public beach.

Go there--take a look--have the 3 beer special--if it is not what you like-take the Jitney to the Sheraton. At least you can say u were there.!!

This is a Blue collar fun beach. Just like the Rockaways Enjoy!!

What's the name of the place with the 3 Drink Special? Or how do I know which one it is?

The bartender put the 3 Bahama Momma shots in one cup so we could bring them and our 3 beers back to our place on the beach to enjoy! (actually did 3 rounds of 3 and three this way for our group). Great time, fun little beach, cool clear water, best deal going! Will be back next time.

• 1 month later...

I am not a debbie downer as one poster indicated and I will tell you I was not happy at all with Junkanoo Beach. I went there on my last Nassau port day just a few months ago in Sept. 2013. The walk isn't that bad to get there and I would say it's safe enough. HOWEVER, it is FULL of glass everywhere in the sand. I was not comfortable EVER walking around without shoes on and if I had kids, I would be petrified they would get cut. It was also very dirty. It wasn't just a couple places where I saw broken glass, it was literally everywhere. I would never go there again. I would suck up the $30 and go down to Melia (used to be Sheraton) for a beautiful beach with no glass.

I was literally just there on this past Thursday (3/27/14). I walked around for hours. Swam in the waters. Drank at the bars. Used the bathrooms. I found no broken glass. I'm not saying you didn't. Nor am I calling your story invalid. Just saying I had a much better experience. And my wife did too.

Someone pointed out to me there are 2 Junkanoo Beaches. One in Nassau and one in Freeport. I've been writing about the one in Nassau. Just in case there was any confusion.

Someone pointed out to me there are 2 Junkanoo Beaches. One in Nassau and one in Freeport. I've been writing about the one in Nassau. Just in case there was any confusion.

We're going to Nassau in May. How do you get to this beach from the ship? Is there signage and stuff, or do you have to know where it is to get there?

Thanks.