Palermo day tours: have you done either of these?

QuattroRomeo

Trying to decide between a couple of very different itineraries if we book a private driver out of Palermo.

One we would like would be a morning trip to Monreale, to see the Duomo. Not sure if there is much else to appreciate in Monreale? After that, we would want to see the art nouveau architecture of the Liberta district in Palermo, and the beach house at Mondello.

Alternatively, we also like small medieval towns, so exploring Cefalu for the day is appealing too. Possibly combine that with a morning run to Monreale first, if that's not too ambitious.

If you have done either of these, what did you think? Was it an enjoyable day without too much of just travel time?

Appreciate your comments!

I would love to get more information on Palermo as I am having a hard time finding anything that looks interesting. Erice looks interesting for the views and the marzipan cakes, but not sure about Segesta as it appears there is a temple in the middle of a field. Anyone been to Segesta? Would also be interested in feedback on Monreale and Cefalu.

We went to Cefalu. It was a wonderful day. Did a walking tour. Saw the Cathedral in Cefalu and ended up having lunch at a café near the beach. We have limited walking abilities so I am sure there is much to see. I did wish we could have seen Monreale but I think it would be a lot for a day. My feelings were that you see so many Cathedral's that doing a tour of Cefalu would be a different kind of day.

Thanks 2ptu, you are right there are so many churches on most itineraries that you just want something else to see! When I looked at a few sites, Cefalu seemed like a beautiful town to wander in and explore . Do you remember how long of a drive it took to get there?

I can't remember drive time but would think it was about an hour. Best to ask tour company. It was lovely to walk around and see town. We started up high and walked down to the sea. At the end of one street, we were able to go out to a rocky area and take pictures. I got some nice pictures in Cefalu. I can look up tour company if you wish. It was organized by another couple and we joined them.

I can't remember drive time but would think it was about an hour. Best to ask tour company. It was lovely to walk around and see town. We started up high and walked down to the sea. At the end of one street, we were able to go out to a rocky area and take pictures. I got some nice pictures in Cefalu. I can look up tour company if you wish. It was organized by another couple and we joined them.

Thanks again. It does sound like a good day. If you have time to find the tour company that would be very nice. I could find a few names searching, but of course it's always better when somebody can recommend them!

• 6 months later...