Just back from Celebration----7/21/2005

I would like to say to those who are worried about the shape of this ship........stop worrying. It is a beautiful ship and the service was wonderful. We stayed on the Verandah deck in suite 9. The website plainly states that the balcony has a partially obstructed view, so I was not disappointed or shocked. There was a life boat blocking a fair portion, however there was still a beautiful view unobstructed. The suite was decorated in muted golds and was well maintained. I did not notice any wear and tear as I have read on previous messages. I had also read that the Promenade deck was tacky....in decor. It was tastefully decorated as well, plenty of beautiful leather couches to enjoy the view. We chose to eat dinner in the horizon dining room every evening and we loved our waiters. They were wonderful. He even stopped by and cut up my 10 year old's lobster, because she was struggling. He made sure that we never had to ask for anything. They sung in Italian one night for us and danced twice, getting the children up to dance with them. On the last night, they gave them a beautiful picture of the ship and told each of us separately how much they enjoyed serving us. It felt very genuine. The wheel house food we ate at breakfast and lunch. It was always hot and very good. The selection was wonderful. Anything you can think of for breakfast, is available. I saw some asking for things done a special way and they accomadated those folks immediately without question. Lunch was great as well. They had traditional American foods, such as 24 hour pizza bar......which was very good. They also had hotdogs and hamburgers, which were always fresh off the grill, each time we ate them. The lunch line also had fish, pasta, beef and ham..........something for everyone..........and different everyday. They had a wonderful sandwich bar, salad bar and dessert bar toward the middle of the room. The service was wonderful in here as well. My children and husband loved the soft serve ice cream........If you are dieting..........you could get diet desserts.......that don't at all taste diet, fat free yougurt, and a whole 4 course meal that is low cal. and cholest. and fat............which also tasted wonderful( you couldn't tell it was diet) We watched the two big productions.......they were great. We didn't see the comedian, but I am sure it was wonderful because the entertainment was top notch.........the best musicians---piano bar , at shows all over the ship. The crew was attentive and smiled and spoke to everyone. The room steward was exceptional. He thought of things we needed before we knew we would need them. The bathroom was immaculate......He cleaned our room twice a day........and he always asked us if we were happy and how our day had been. He left our kids cookies in the evening and of course the towel animals that they do. The crew was not pushy, but genuinely happy to serve you. They seemed very humble. We had two things occur on the ship. Firstly, the seas were calm and we had beautiful weather, despite the hurricane........we never knew it occurred......because we didn't want to. They did have monitors around the ship tracking it for those who did. We were eating dinner one night though, and we felt movement.....just subtle......and immediately the captain came on and told us that he had spotted a life raft in the seas........we went back and located them and immediately coast gaurds came and rescued them. We were able to watch. It was fascinating........the crew thought so too. Even though we stopped for a while to assist these folks.........the captain still got us to the Bahamas two hours earlier, for us to enjoy. The second occurrance happened on the way back. We noticed slight movement and the captain came over speaker and told us that a fellow passenger was having medical problems. He told us that were stopping close to Lakewood, Fl to disembark the passenger so that they could get further medical assistance and we watched the coast gaurd come out and stay with us, until the med. evac. took place. It was nice to be kept inform. They even told us before we disembarke, the condition of the passenger---they had surgery and were stable. I have read many negative things about this ship. None were true.........I really believe that if you have a good attitude you will love this cruise. I personally looked for some thing to validate other negative reviews.......I found none. The ship was constantly being cleaned and polished. The staff and crew were very attentive........I noticed a couple of kids twist an ankle or something happen to them and 5-6 crew people would be there before a parent. They were truly wonderful. I didn't use camp carnival for my children, because we were on the trip to be together, but I did watch the activities that the staff had for them. They were great to those kids and made sure they had a great time. They had something planned for every age group all the way up to the adults. We personally wanted to just relax........and we did. It's a great ship for any life style. We ported next to the Fantasy, the Excatsy, a royal Carribean ship, a norwegian ship and we saw a Disney ship in the sea. I thought the Celebration was beautiful up next to these.........the captain of this ship must really be something , they were constantly painting the ship.....it looks brand new. I never heard anyone say anything negative on this cruise..........They had a non smoking side on lido deck at pool and a smoking......marked with signs......a few passengers were on the wrong side.....they were asked to move to the other side.........and i was truly impressed with how they handle it......it was not a scene and the passengers didn't feel attacked. The dining room attire was a mixture of things. We personally wore---men/boys wore slacks, polo or dress shirt w/o tie except formal night men/boys wore suits with ties. My daughter and I wore dresses appropriate for dinner in a nice restaruant...........However not every one did this, but it did not impact my dinner or spoil the atmosphere. Every one wore what made them comfortable and happy. The only time I saw the passangers turned a way was on formal night...........a teenager wore shorts and he was asked to change in to pants.........and a man wore a shirt w/o sleeves and he was ask to put on a shirt with sleeves and this lady wore a top that looked liked a biker chick......bra with fringe and he asked to change it. But it was never rude or loud, or attacking in any way........handled very well. This ship has a great slide and the staff ensure safety rules followed, they have teas, and games and entertainment by the pool-----manly man contest was hilarous. The cruise director was in site. I read somewhere they never saw him, he mc'd all the shows and discussions.....his room is right next to where we stayed and he was very friendly. Embarkation was easy and so was disembarkation. It took maybe 30 minutes to unload bags, go through security and get checked in and find our cabin.......Disembarkation, we put our luggage out the night before....so once they called our deck......it took maybe 15 minutes to leave ship, go through custums and get our luggage. It was very organized. We didn't even have to wait to get our car out of the park. They time it if you just listen and do as they say...........so you won't have to wait. Obviously, I loved the trip. My children loved it, too. My husband was very pleased with the quality and loved it as well. I read somewhere on here that a person thought the ship should be retired....no way. It's beautiful........Most problems, I believe, people have on cruises are made by the passengers. Follow the directions for things and you will have a wonderful trip on a beautiful trip. By the way, there were over 600 kids on this ship.....probably half.....and I never saw anyone be disorderly or loud......there are too many crew people around during activities to allow it......they think of everything.

We were on the ship in June and was a little anxious after reading some bad reviews. We were just as pleased as you were with the ship and the crew. It was our first cruise so we didn't know any better about anything, but we did know when we received good service, a friendly crew and great surroundings.

The ship was renovated in 2003, I believe. The crew are always painting and cleaning.......it looks beautiful. If you encounter problems on this ship, it will not be from the crew, staff or the ship, it will because of a fellow passenger. So don't worry about the quality of your cruise......just relax and enjoy. The crew and staff want you to have a great time.....whatever that may be for you........and will do what ever they can to accomodate you with a smile on their face..........I was very impressed with how out of the way they would go to do little things, like I said before, that I didn't even think to ask for. :)

My wife and I cruised on the Celebration for our first cruise last October. We were very impressed with the ship and the crew. Several months later we cruised on the Inspiration and my wife was disappointed. Not because the Inspiration (or its crew) was bad, but because the crew on the Celebration seemed to have set the bar so high.

Now the Miracle is coming up in 58 days.

I too like Bretonsmom was a bit anxious about the Celebration from reading all the negative things that have been said about her. I feel totally confident we will have a great time...........we sail on August 27th out of Jacksonville. Looking forward to it....this will be my husbands first cruise as well as our 12 year old twin daughters. It is my 3rd although it's been a long time since I cruised.......May 1985 on the Nordic Prince to Bermuda and Sept 85 on the Home Lines Atlantic....which by the way we were caught in Hurricane Gloria coming home. That was not much fun........felt like a toy boat in a bathtub ! ! ! ! !

37 days and counting.................

dondonma

We're leaving on Monday for the Celebration. Thank you so much for all your detail, I had been nervous reading some reviews, but I think it's going to be wonderful. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip!

Glad you enjoyed the Celebration. We sailed her in Dec '03 right after her re-furb and really enjoyed the smaller ship for something different.

When we were at the Captains gala, he introduced some of his crew and made special notice of a long time employee of 20 something years.... our cabin steward!!!

Every Carnival employee on that cruise was friendly and smiling.

Look, this ship does not have the "wow" factor of even the atrium of the Fantasy class ships......but that is not what we paid for.

I believe there are some people in TX who miss the Celebration

Archived