Dawn to Bermuda to Avoid Storm?

teacher424

Unfortunately at this time of year all the berths in Bermuda are full during the week. The only place that the Dawn could dock in Bermuda is at the Dockyards. So unless RCI will give up the Voyagers space- the Crown Docks in the Dockyards on Thursday night...say hello Canada but a mere small storm won't keep the Dawn from the south. You might wind up in Charleston but I doubt Bermuda... I can't remember when the Dawn went to Canada(except on purpose last week)...

BTW here is the DOD forecast for Franklin shouldn't be a problem

http://152.80.49.216/tc-bin/tc_home.cgi

From the looks of the maps I've seen, Franklin will be passing near Bermuda. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/145138.shtml?5day

I don't think you'd want to be diverted there.

Worst case scenario would be that you head in the opposite direction toward Canada or delay departure until the hurricane has passed from the Dawn's regularly scheduled track.

The Dawn left nassua at noon today, and it is headed for NY, projections have the storm heading north of Bermuda, I don't think we would go to Bermuda. Someone on this board stated that the itenararies for next have not changed as per NCL and I don't think that they will, we might miss GSC, but this storm should be long gone by Thursday.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/145138.shtml?5day - 5 day projected path.

Bridge Cam in Nassau, doesn't look to bad, a little overcast.

Hi all

I cruised the Dawn last Sept. in the middle of back to back hurricanes and being from Canada sure as heck did not want to sail back. But just to let you know you better pack sunscreen and shorts and shades even if they do divert to Canada because the average temp this time of the year is upper 80s - 90s. No parkas needed. EH!(lol)

Hi, I called the NCL rep directly this morning and was told that as of today there is no schedule change. I too will be sailing 7/24

Sounds right. They usually won't make any changes due to weather until like the day before (or while you're already on the ship).

I sailed on the April 10th sailing and we were brought right into the storm!! Knowing full well the storm was out there. So be prepared to go through the Hurricane! If you have Capt. Nikolas Peterstam at the helm. :mad: :mad:

Good Luck

I sailed on the April 10th sailing and we were brought right into the storm!! Knowing full well the storm was out there. So be prepared to go through the Hurricane! If you have Capt. Nikolas Peterstam at the helm. :mad: :mad:

Good Luck

Your criticism of Capt. Peterstam is totally unwarranted. There was no possible way he could have sailed around that storm. Since the storm extended from the East Coast 400 miles out to sea and was heading East, in what direction would you have sailed, to the Azores? Subsequent investigations by several jurisdictions including the U.S. Coast Guard have praised his handling of the situation. I would sail with him anytime, anywhere.

• 1 month later...

If I remember correctly, wasn't it a rouge wave that hit the ship? Also, that storm dragged on for days. It was stuck between cold fronts. I doubt any cruise line would have their ships sit a storm out for days, especially one that wasn't supposed to be particularly bad in the first place.

It appears the Dawn got the worst of the weather this week as the Crown and Majesty enjoyed an extra sunny sea day from Bermuda. The Dawn arrived three hours late into New York City today.....

Wonder where is is headed for today - surely it did not go in the path of Ophelia which is right smack in its usual route.

If I remember correctly, wasn't it a rouge wave that hit the ship? Also, that storm dragged on for days. It was stuck between cold fronts. I doubt any cruise line would have their ships sit a storm out for days, especially one that wasn't supposed to be particularly bad in the first place.

It was - we were on the cruise directely after which instead of sailing from NYC 4/17, left 4/18 and the cruise was shortended to 6 nights.

Wonder where is is headed for today - surely it did not go in the path of Ophelia which is right smack in its usual route.

I believe it went south around the storm. The Dawn's camera shows it in clear weather. Thisisn't a large storm and it can be missed fairly easily. There has been no announcement of any change.

Archived