Fashion Ladies, need a little help with moisturizer...

I've been trying new moisturizers for months! It suddenly occured to me that the ladies on the Fashion Board could help. I wash my face with Cetaphil morning and night. In the past, I used Alpha-Hydroxy (10%) in the white and red tub from Walmart. I wore it at night after cleansing and in the morning under my makeup. I had the best results! Never too oily, no breakouts, and my skin seemed much younger looking. Of course, you know what happened! They no longer stock it. I am at a loss what to use. I've used several Clinque products, but can't seem to find the perfect match for me. My almost 50 skin is changing from normal/oily to drier (or maybe the wrinkles are just beginning to show!). I'd love to get back to the skin that didn't show such large pores, but basically, I would really like to be able to clean with one product and only need to use one other product before putting on my foundation. Would anyone like to let me in on your secret--what do you use?

AOKnKentucky

Both of my sisters are estheticians and after using their products and following a routine, I doubt I'll ever return to using products that you can purchase at grocery stores/department stores. They each carried a different line. One carried Bioelements and the other carries Yonka. With Biolements, I purchased a three pack set (cleanser, toner, moisturizer) However, the cleanser isn't really ideal for make up remover, so they include a sample size of make up remover. I actually wound up purchasing a small bottle of I think it was called "stress serum" and wow, this stuff is awesome. Use it under your foundation for some nice smooth skin. My skin has never felt/looked better with the use of the products. I did wind up purchasing a gel like cleanser made my Yonka that I use on days when I've had makeup on.

My suggestion is to make an appointment with a licensed esthetician and have them accurately assess your skin type. And suggest products that will help your skin. It wouldn't hurt to schedule to have a professional facial done either. There is a facial technique called a non-surgical face mask and the results are amazing.

I also wanted to add that my grandmother would not get a facial! She doesn't like other people touching her, but my sister recommended some Yonka products and she's been really happy with the results.

These products are well worth the price, and actually are pretty cost effective because a little bit goes a long way. I actually had my first products for about 11 months before needing some more. I never could say that about any of my prior products.

I also have learned some at home tricks my sisters have taught me like to use an olive oil/sugar pasted as an exfoliator, and olive oil as a fill in moisturizer. It's great for extremely dry patches.

Neutrogena makes a great facial alpha-hydroxy lotion - perfect for morning moisturizing. Frankly I think twice a day with alpha-hydroxy is a bit much, but if that has been working for you with no problems, what the heck.

Also Clinique Turnaround cream is terrific - I use it every night before bed.

I would have to second the advice thak eelyak gave. You will get as many different answers to your question as you do people who respond! After years of buying numerous products and having what seemed like enough to stock a drugstore under my sink, I finally wised up and started seeing an esthetician. She got me on a regiment that is good for my skin and even though the stuff seems pricey, it is all I buy now. I no longer see the esthetician (she moved away:( ), but I continue on with the product.

Neutrogena makes a great facial alpha-hydroxy lotion - perfect for morning moisturizing. Frankly I think twice a day with alpha-hydroxy is a bit much, but if that has been working for you with no problems, what the heck.

Yep, Neutrogena makes good stuff that you can purchase anywhere. I'm still in the acne-prone stage (at 32!!!) so I'm staying away from the alpha-hydroxy stuff (seems to irritate & dry me out), but I love their other lotions & eye creams. I've been using Proactive Solution to help w/the acne and yes, it does work :D

I knew this was the right place to ask this question!;)

Thanks Mrs. Boo for the reminder--I forget to search for what I need and I remember seeing this thread in the past and thinking it was great!:)

Nliedel--On that old thread, you mentioned AHA Hydroxy Acid. I think that is the one I'm looking for. I can't seem to find it here in Western Kentucky. Would you mind sharing what store you buy yours?

Keep those ideas coming ladies, if I can't find mine and Nliedel's favorite, I'll need a new favorite! Thanks!

HI there,

You'd be surprised at how many women think "Alpha Hydrox" brand is the best alpha hydroxy product out there. Most stores don't carry it, but...

GOOD NEWS!! You can order it on drugstore.com.

take care,

Melissa :)

Estee Lauder's Daywear - a tinted moisturized (same color for everyone -- it works, too) with SPF (can't think of the # at the moment) for when I don't want to wear foundation or am in a hurry

Cetaphil - cleanser and moisturizer

Eucerin - under my foundation when I'm going to be out in the sun! Has the highest SPF. When I was in Florida recently, I used it under my foundation and didn't get sunburned whatsoever. It's awesome. Even swimming in the ocean -- can't beat that!

I also should mention that I have sensitive skin. Neutrogena irritates me and so does Oil of Olay. There are certain other products that I use in the Clinique and Lancome lines. I love packing the small "try it" sizes that usually come in gift-with-purchase packages. But I will definitely be taking my Eucerin on the cruise. I love that stuff. (P.S. I'm 51, so, yeah, I understand!)

Archived