Super Star Virgo

little poppett

There are 2 malls nearby - Plaza Singapura and The Cathay.

You can check www.streetdirectory.com out for map of everywhere in Singapore and www.sbstransit.com.sg or www.smrt.com.sg for public transportation.

Harbourfront is a short 15-20min ride away from Dhoby Ghaut on the North-East Line(Purple). Taxis take longer than that :eek:

Hello.

We will be on the VIRGO on Christmas Day. Was wondering if anyone can tell me if anything special happens. ie, Christmas dinner or lunch or christmas shows etc..??? Thanks

SUZIE

There are 2 malls nearby - Plaza Singapura and The Cathay.

You can check www.streetdirectory.com out for map of everywhere in Singapore and www.sbstransit.com.sg or www.smrt.com.sg for public transportation.

Harbourfront is a short 15-20min ride away from Dhoby Ghaut on the North-East Line(Purple). Taxis take longer than that :eek:

suzie_007 Christmas Eve countdown. Christmas dinner. Christmas carol singing. Santa Claus. Pool party. Christmas shows. Many more. You name it, they have it(except for snow)!

Christmas cruises are lots of fun. SSV isn't HUGE so it'll still be intimate and the atmosphere is great especially carol singing in the Lido. Sadly I'll miss it this year(first time in 8 years of SSV sailing) but I'll be onboard for New Year!

2007 will be the last sunday-departure christmas cruise until 2011(by then there will be a new ship ex-SIN I hope)

since we'll be spending several days in singapore before the cruise, we booked a midnight flight out of singapore straight from the cruise. ssv's arrival time is listed at 7pm. do you think the midnight flight is a good idea? can we make our flight? how often is ssv late in arrival? or do you suggest spending an extra night in singapore before leaving? i was hoping to just catch my sleep during the long flight home.

leisure = SSV has never been significantly late returning to Singapore. Nor is engine problem common(only once many years back). So I'll expect her return at 7pm +/- 30mins.

Seldom but possible, SSV might be required to rescue ships that has encountered problems at sea and this can delay your arrival.

That said, immigration and security at Harbourfront is always a problem. It might take as long as 1 hour to clear Immigration and Security.

I think you can make it to the airport if nothing extraordinary happens as traffic is not heavy at that time. Though if you can't find a taxi at the taxi stand @ Harbourfront, call(+65 65521111) for one and for a few dollar surcharge you can save up to 1 and half hour of waiting time that is common in the City area at peak hour.

*Just note that IF, SSV extremely late and you miss your flight, flights back to US/EU/AU/NZ are always full and it is difficult to find seats for the next few days even if you are willing to pay top dollars. SIA for e.g. have almost sold out their flights to EU/SYD till Mar 08.

I would'nt try it in 5 hours. Ship might get in at 1900 but then takes some time before immigration allow pax to disembark . Then takes some time to get a boat load of pax off, then through Immigration and Customs. Then outfront at street level you will be one of hundreds competing for a taxi .International flights close well before (like hours) departure so you would be cutting it fine . Save yourself a heart attack and stay the night in Singapore. If you miss your plane you'll be charged a no show fee, and will have to wait days at that time to get a seat out . No responsible travel agent would make a booking attempting what you have planned , as its cutting things too fine.

I wouldn't say impossible. Latest time you'll be shore side is 9pm although taxi is a real problem. However you can call for one or arrange for pick-up and reach the airport latest 10pm. 1 hour clear of the minimum check-in time required by most airlines.

It all depends on how much risk you want to take on, but staying in Singapore for one more night will lighten stress IMO.

For me, I'll not stay the night as there is ample time and the 3 nights before cruise can already cover Singapore mainland and nearby Johor(Malaysia) is not advisable as crime rate is pretty shocking recently.

You can try Sentosa(An resort island just opposite Cruise Centre. Resort and Hotels available there e.g. Shangri-la); the airport's Transit hotel; the City(City Hall/Orchard) hotels if you plan to stay the night.

hmmm... i tried rebooking my ticket, but then we'll have to stay 3 more nights after the cruise since the seats on the earlier flights are already full. guess we'll have to cross our fingers and call the taxi hotline posted by ssv as soon as we dock. ssv, any idea how fast the taxi will arrive if i call the hotline you gave? i hope the hotline is really hot and i won't be getting a busy signal. :p

The hotline is pretty "hot" most of the time. But once, on Sunday night I've waited for 5minutes on hold.

Cabs usually arrive in 3minutes, but could be as long as 25minutes!

It all depend on the hour of course! But if you can't get a cab quick via phone, it will be impossible at the taxi stands.

You can check this website:

http://www.comfort-transportation.com.sg/rates_charges.html

which highlights all the options you can have for e.g. Call; Advance Call; Limo booking.

All the Taxi company hotlines you can call:

CityCab Cash Bookings(65) 6552 2222

CityCab Credit Card Bookings / Premium Cabs(65) 6553 8888

Comfort CabLink(65) 6552 1111

Comfort Premier Cabs(65) 6552 2828

Premier Taxis(65) 6363 6888

SMRT Taxis Skytrek Bookings / Premium Cabs(65) 6555 8888

Comfort(largest in Singapore) and Citycab(second or third largest) merged if I'm not wrong so you can get them both @ (65)65521111.

May I know what class of cabin are you in? If Admiral, no need to arrange for priority disembarkation as it'll be offered. Other cabins, I'll ask and see what they can do

Is the basis full a la carte pricing, so if you dine there you are paying full tote odds for a meal that you could have had in the inclusive restaurants for part of your fare ?(i:e: you are paying for your meal twice over )

Or is it recognized that you have already paid for your meals within the cruise fare, and a $ surcharge is made in recognition of the higher standard restaurant and staff ratio ?

If it is the latter what sort of surcharges apply on SS VIRGO ?

SSV has 4 pay-restaurants and the reason why I use "pay" is because the food are priced according to the market.

Instead of surcharge restaurants on NCL for e.g. Le Bistro where an extra payment usually below market price can be paid for more exquisite food.

Some food in the 4 ala-carte restaurants might be found in the inclusive restaurants HOWEVER, method of preparation is different and the ingredients used are usually better.

For e.g. Lobster is ~15SGD/100 gram recently as theres promotion which is the market rate. It is impossible to find Lobster in inclusive-restaurants on SSV.

If anyone feels like it, they can still visit the inclusive rest. for more food before or after ala-carte.

We are finally confirmed for the Hong Kong cruise departing 15 June 08, on Balcony deck 11, apparantly all deck 10 and deck 9 (balcony Class) are booked out already for June 15 - "a huge resurgence of interest in the Virgo by Australians since relocating to Hong Kong" according to my travel agent. Anyone else on the same cruise ? Also booked 5 nights at the Harbour Plaza Metropolis Hong Kong post cruise. Flying Cathay Midnight 0n Sunday the 15th ex Perth and transferring to Virgo on arrival - Hopefully no flight delays

Archived