Excursion - Glass Bottom Boat/Snorkeling (USAA)

Cajungaltx

It's our first cruise! I had to twist a couple arms to get everyone to agree.

My husband, myself and our two daughters (16 and 6).

We booked through USAA's Explore Cruise and Travel and they have an option to book excursions through there site.

Glass bottom boat snorkeling tour - $45/per person. The positive is that our youngest can participate.

Most of the excursions seem to like kids to be a bit older.

I'm curious if the $45 is a good price, or if we should just go to one of the beaches and walk out from there? :D

My husband would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to do a dive so if there was a way to do both snorkeling (for myself and the kiddos) while he did a dive, that would be phenomenal -but if the $45 for the boat/snorkeling is good - I'm going to book it and call it a day. ;-)

Thanks for your input!

I hope you get better feedback than from me but I snorkeled with my husband Costa Maya 2011 excursion where you took yourself out in speedboats out to the reef which was really only 100 yards from the shore. It was a bit hard for me because I was post-op 3 months and am caustraphobic. I'd highly recommend the one through Royal Carribbean. One of the two guides stayed with me and was my personal assistant.

Through RC it was called Uvero (Beach) Boat Blast Snorkeling & Beach Break for $79/person. It included an open bar. We were able to find starfish there.

It's our first cruise! I had to twist a couple arms to get everyone to agree.

My husband, myself and our two daughters (16 and 6).

We booked through USAA's Explore Cruise and Travel and they have an option to book excursions through there site.

Glass bottom boat snorkeling tour - $45/per person. The positive is that our youngest can participate.

Most of the excursions seem to like kids to be a bit older.

I'm curious if the $45 is a good price, or if we should just go to one of the beaches and walk out from there? :D

My husband would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to do a dive so if there was a way to do both snorkeling (for myself and the kiddos) while he did a dive, that would be phenomenal -but if the $45 for the boat/snorkeling is good - I'm going to book it and call it a day. ;-)

Thanks for your input!

I would say check out the "Money Bar". Website link below:

http://www.moneybarbeachclub.com/

It sounds like it would have most of the things you are looking for to please your whole family, and maybe you could save some money too. Its just a short cab ride from any of the ship ports (about $10/cab depending on what port you're at). The Money Bar is basically just a restaurant on the beach and is free to go to. However, as you can see if you look at their "Amenities" on the website, they offer some packages you can take advantage of. They do have diving excursions - which would interest your husband. You can snorkel there (they say the snorkeling is excellent). All it will cost you is the rental of your snorkel gear. They say the food is very good here, and reasonably priced. The have a small man-made beach to hang out on, but you have to enter the water by stairs because it is rocky here (that is why it is good snorkeling). Their amenity page says they have the glass bottomed boats, kayaks, etc. There is also a phone number, if you wanted to call and get more information on pricing. But, basically the place is free. If you have your own snorkel gear, it wouldn't cost you anything other than you food for the day. Many, many people recommend the Money Bar.