Sunshine Cruise Review 2/9/14-2/16/14 with pictures! (Western Caribbean)

Ciardasully

Ben the piano man has moved to the Breeze so I am not sure what the new piano man will be like.

Piano Bar 88 had a book with popular piano bar songs and they give you slips of paper. Ben pretty much knew everything. We even had him playing Ice Ice Baby and Spice Girls. As far as the music, it kind of depends on what kind of crowd is in there that night. Some things are always requested like Sweet Caroline, Some Elton John, Some Journey, Great Balls of Fire. I am blanking. Bryon might be able to elaborate more on this. One night we had people like Country and then another night the audience booed at Country. So it kind of depends on the crowd.

I hope that at least sort of answers your question.

Sounds like a BLAST!!!!! Thank you......the other question was, is it smoky in there? That will be a deal breaker for my group. We're all non smokers.

Thanks again!

Kirsten

It was a non smoking piano bar...Packard 89; I just finished reading. Have not yet had that all work out on Carnival and would love it too.

OP you are a darling couple and I just absolutely loved learning about your cruise, ports, New Orleans..everything...I have not been to any of those places yet and really want to.

I am going to figure something very careful about New Orleans and Jamaica. One of my best friend's daughters was and Environmental Law prof. at Tulane when Katrina hit. they got out and came back and many of their things made it on upper level..and had to move after that. My friend and her daughter had several wonderful visits there but they both said just a dangerous place and need to be careful...and all the stories of Jamaica...well both have to be well planned and with someone..but I want to go...

I bet during Mardi Gras time and of course on the week...it is even more wild...

Thanks soooo much for sharing so many details and helps about your vacation.

I am at least 3/4 Irish, English, Scot and the other part German. I did NOT get the tanning skin and it is HARD to be so darn fair and still love the tropics. I have done Hawaii several extended times and just got different swim covers for ocean when on LONG extended times out there..the best was this light body suit thing..sorry about hubby's burn and glad it was not at very beginning and you can not warn people enough..even hotter sun there than Hawaii..have been to St. Thomas and San Juan and Nassau.

Loved your husband's formal wear!!!

I loved having a very light tan but got a burn scar on my neck to teach me not to attempt...but never never giving up my love of of figuring it out and going, love the ocean and tropical places...I have absolutely had it this winter that started here in October and just let the last 2 snows go..driven over it in driveway..tomorrow I will do what I can before headed out..I had to declare my own little break...my back and neck so sore from shoveling...thanks a million..you took us all there very well and sounds like Sunshine was really enjoyable and you really made good use of all the options she shared and all ports..really look forward to Grand Cayman and Cozumel, so many things sound fun to me those places...Thanks,,.Sarah

Edited by sjn911

It was a non smoking piano bar...Packard 89; I just finished reading. Have not yet had that all work out on Carnival and would love it too.

OP you are a darling couple and I just absolutely loved learning about your cruise, ports, New Orleans..everything...I have not been to any of those places yet and really want to.

I am going to figure something very careful about New Orleans and Jamaica. One of my best friend's daughters was and Environmental Law prof. at Tulane when Katrina hit. they got out and came back and many of their things made it on upper level..and had to move after that. My friend and her daughter had several wonderful visits there but they both said just a dangerous place and need to be careful...and all the stories of Jamaica...well both have to be well planned and with someone..but I want to go...

I bet during Mardi Gras time and of course on the week...it is even more wild...

I am at least 3/4 Irish, English, Scot and the other part German. I did NOT get the tanning skin and it is HARD to be so darn fair and still love the tropics. I have done Hawaii several extended times and just got different swim covers for ocean when on LONG extended times out there..the best was this light body suit thing..sorry about hubby's burn and glad it was not at very beginning and you can not warn people enough..even hotter sun there than Hawaii..have been to St. Thomas and San Juan and Nassau.

I loved having a very light tan but got a burn scar on my neck to teach me not to attempt...but never never giving up my love of of figuring it out and going, love the ocean and tropical places...I have absolutely had it this winter that started here in October and just let the last 2 snows go..driven over it in driveway..tomorrow I will do what I can before headed out..I had to declare my own little break...my back and neck so sore from shoveling...thanks a million..you took us all there very well and sounds like Sunshine was really enjoyable and you really made good use of all the options she shared and all ports..really look forward to Grand Cayman and Cozumel, so many things sound fun to me those places...Thanks,,.Sarah

I live in NOLA and you'll be perfectly fine if you stay in crowded areas. I've been to Jamaica and it doesn't compare. It's much safer here. But I must warn you, visiting during Mardi Gras will be CRAZY!!!! Have a great visit and be sure to enjoy the cuisine that my city has to offer. It's the best food you'll ever try, I guarantee!!!

And thanks for answering my question about the piano bar, we're looking forward to going there.

Kirsten

I live in NOLA and you'll be perfectly fine if you stay in crowded areas. I've been to Jamaica and it doesn't compare. It's much safer here. But I must warn you, visiting during Mardi Gras will be CRAZY!!!! Have a great visit and be sure to enjoy the cuisine that my city has to offer. It's the best food you'll ever try, I guarantee!!!

And thanks for answering my question about the piano bar, we're looking forward to going there.

Kirsten

Thanks so very much Kristen...I so appreciate a native's opinion..I really really want to go there..it is one of the 10 top city places to see in US I think..and has been forever. And your're welcome..that sounds like the perfect piano bar...I don't do lots of trapped smoke well either.

Sincerely, Sarah

Edited by sjn911

Friday- Cozumel

We slept in a little bit because we weren't due into Cozumel until 10 am. We decided to go to Lido for breakfast.

The chair hogs were out in full force.

IMG_3874.jpg

IMG_3875.jpg

IMG_3877.jpg

IMG_3878.jpg

Those are so cute!!! I've seen cruises and resorts set out towels for people, but never with the animals. I've never seen some of those made either... or a few in your room like the bear and the dog.

Thanks so very much Kristen...I so appreciate a native's opinion..I really really want to go there..it is one of the 10 top city places to see in US I think..and has been forever. And your're welcome..that sounds like the perfect piano bar...I don't do lots of trapped smoke well either.

Sincerely, Sarah

Thanks for your kind words. If you are in NOLA and want to go to a smoke free Jazz Club, go to Irvin Mayfield's in the Royal Sonesta. No smoking, No Cover, and amazing Jazz.

Thank you for sharing your review. Sunshine is heading to Port Canaveral (which is 20 minutes from us) so I was anxious to see pictures.

I also have to say that I loved your dress on the first formal night. I love the lace sleeves!

Sounds like a BLAST!!!!! Thank you......the other question was, is it smoky in there? That will be a deal breaker for my group. We're all non smokers.

Thanks again!

Kirsten

Kirsten, the good news is the bar is smoke free. :D I have asthma so that is a deal breaker for me as well.

Thanks for your review. We sailed next to her on her maiden voyage this summer while on the Legend in Europe. We are finally sailing on her in June out of Port Canaveral.

You're welcome! The maiden voyage must have been fun! I hope you have a good time in June!

Thank you for your kind words.

And I agree about having fair skin and loving the tropics. When in doubt, reapply your sunscreen!

Kirsten, the good news is the bar is smoke free. :D I have asthma so that is a deal breaker for me as well.

Thank goodness!! I have allergies, so I wouldn't have been able to hang out for long. I can't believe we're leaving in only 3 days!!!! Super excited!!!!!

Kirsten

Kirsten

I hope I didn't misrepresent the need for caution in NOLA. It was more of a warning if you are from out of town to be careful and be aware of your surroundings. And really it just pertained to Bourbon Street. Pretty standard for any busy place with lots of people. It is definitely a place worth going to. I just more comfortable during daylight because I have crowd anxiety and I was more confortable being able to see. Other people may have a different comfort level. The French Quarter had amazing food, architecture, culture and you just never know when a parade will come out of nowhere. Lots of fun.

And I agree, Jamaica doesn't compare. I did not feel safe in Jamaica at all except at the Rose Hall Plantation (despite it being haunted.) In fact, if we have Jamaica as a port again, there is a good chance that we won't get off the ship.

Those are so cute!!! I've seen cruises and resorts set out towels for people, but never with the animals. I've never seen some of those made either... or a few in your room like the bear and the dog.

I have seen this done in a few reviews but I was so excited it see it on this cruise. It was just so fun.

Thank you for sharing your review. Sunshine is heading to Port Canaveral (which is 20 minutes from us) so I was anxious to see pictures.

I also have to say that I loved your dress on the first formal night. I love the lace sleeves!

You're very welcome. I like reviews so I try to pay it forward. :)

Thank you about the dress. I actually got it on sale in a Canadian plus size store called Pennington's. I wasn't sure about it at the time I purchased it but now I am glad I bought it.

I hope I didn't misrepresent the need for caution in NOLA. It was more of a warning if you are from out of town to be careful and be aware of your surroundings. And really it just pertained to Bourbon Street. Pretty standard for any busy place with lots of people. It is definitely a place worth going to. I just more comfortable during daylight because I have crowd anxiety and I was more confortable being able to see. Other people may have a different comfort level. The French Quarter had amazing food, architecture, culture and you just never know when a parade will come out of nowhere. Lots of fun.

And I agree, Jamaica doesn't compare. I did not feel safe in Jamaica at all except at the Rose Hall Plantation (despite it being haunted.) In fact, if we have Jamaica as a port again, there is a good chance that we won't get off the ship.

I agree, people from out of town should be cautious. We just know to stay on populated streets, and we travel in groups. Never had a problem. But one thing I can tell you is....you couldn't pay me a million dollars to go on Bourbon Street during Mardi Gras!!! NOT my idea of a good time. It's SO crowded. And I'm not a fan of bring in large crowds like that. Not to mention, the pocket pickers have a field day in those crowds. So no thank you!

Kirsten

• 3 months later...
French Onion Soup.

IMG_3804.jpg

Beef Carpaccio.

IMG_3805.jpg

Sliced Sun-Ripened Beefsteak Tomato.

IMG_3806.jpg

Lobster Bisque.

IMG_3807.jpg

Hi thank you for posting your review. Question to you regarding the Carpaccios you tasted, did you enjoy them? What kind of oil was used, I am hoping truffle? And the Bisque, was it yummy? Thank you

After dinner we went to the Welcome Aboard Show at the Liquid Lounge. I am not sure what I think of the Liquid Lounge. I understand the premise behind it but I didn't like that there were poles blocking from many of the views from upstairs.

IMG_3621.jpg

This was Butch, our cruise director. He was nice enough but I felt like he was kind of mediocre. Now we have only been on one other Carnival Cruise but we don't remember being bored. We love trivia but you can only do so much of it. But there seemed like a lot of empty time on this cruise. And some things scheduled didn't make sense to us. Nothing was planning on Wednesday night, no show, no comedy, no piano bar. We went to bed early that night.

Also Bryon follows John Heald's blog and he knew that Carnival had the rights to the movie Cool Runnings. You would have thought they would have played it at some point during the week because of the Olympics especially since we were going to Jamaica but no. And they played Goonies on Valentine's Day when you would have thought they would have played a romantic movie.

Anyway, Butch was nice enough. I know some people that were part of a roll call on a "website that can not be mentioned" loved him so I guess it was all about preference. Bryon and I just felt that he was mediocre. It could have been because there were three sea days instead of one or two. It could be because they were preparing for the bloggers cruise which was the week immediately after ours. (If anyone doing a B2B is reading this, I would be curious if this was the case.)

Also, this in no way ruined out vacation. I remember someone saying that a bad cruise director doesn't ruin a vacation but a good one can really make it fun.

IMG_3622.jpg

IMG_3624.jpg

Then we went back to the room for an early night.

IMG_3625.jpg

Maybe Butch was having an off week. We were on the Breeze in January and really enjoyed him. It was the hands down best sail away party ever....he was dancing with everyone and literally there was probably over 100 people trying to follow along. It was fantastic.

Hi thank you for posting your review. Question to you regarding the Carpaccios you tasted, did you enjoy them? What kind of oil was used, I am hoping truffle? And the Bisque, was it yummy? Thank you

I believe it was truffle oil. It was delicious. I am a huge fan of beef carpaccio and steak tartare. The bisque was awesome too. They present it really interestingly. It comes with the bowl with what would almost look like a crabcake consistency. You can see nice big pieces of lobster in it, then they pour the bisque over it and it incorporates into the soup which is really great.