Just back from SE Asia cruise, ask me

BRUCENLYNN

I have been told by 2 world cruisers that VietNam was VERY dirty, people

unfriendly - both were jostled in the market. What did you think?

In the south (Saigon) we found the locals very friendly.

Can't think of a busy market anywhere in the world where you won't get jostled - or where you can't help jostling others. And those who walk four-abreast or inconsiderately stand blocking pathways in Saigon or New York or Covent Garden or your local grocery store deserve a good jostling ;)

Some less-friendly in the north, in many ways it's still a divided nation as it's been for centuries, since long before French or US involvement.

If you want proper "dirty" then you need to look well beyond the city centres. :eek:

Yes, there's a few eye-openers, but perhaps not as bad as you've been led to believe.

And other than answering a call of nature (use a westernised hotel) it's not a problem.

Fascinating country, a great place to visit, you'll enjoy.

JMHO as always

JB :)

Can't think of a busy market anywhere in the world where you won't get jostled - or where you can't help jostling others. And those who walk four-abreast or inconsiderately stand blocking pathways in Saigon or New York or Covent Garden or your local grocery store deserve a good jostling ;)

Some less-friendly in the north, in many ways it's still a divided nation as it's been for centuries, since long before French or US involvement.

If you want proper "dirty" then you need to look well beyond the city centres. :eek:

Yes, there's a few eye-openers, but perhaps not as bad as you've been led to believe.

And other than answering a call of nature (use a westernised hotel) it's not a problem.

JMHO as always

You are so right!!! I make 2-3 trips to Vietnam every year for business. I can't stand it in Hanoi-always feel like someone is looking over my shoulder. The secret police are everywhere and their passport checks for hotel stays sometimes get very intrusive. The Communist party rules and rules with an iron hand in the North. There are few factories in the North and most everything is still the way it was in 1960.

But Saigon-still very Americanized, they still love Americans. They heavily believe in free enterprise, capitalism and have lots of factories and money making things going for them. The North basically leaves the South alone, as long as they kick back money to the North. They haven't forgot all the soldiers, CIA and others who really tried to help their country. And with command special ops guys and CIA staying primarily at the Rex hotel and spending a lot of money in the rooftop bar, the warm and fuzzy feeling towards Americans is still there.

Just a short story about how much they love Americans. Wandering around in Can Tho one day trying to find my quota of old style flip flops (I sell them in the USA). Wandered into a little shop that sold coffee and tea. Got to speaking with the proprietor. After he found out I was American, he was making phone call after phone call trying to help me find about 100 pairs of size 7 flip flops in various colors. Then he brought out the real surprise-two very adorable children carrying US passports. They were his grandkids. His son married a US citizen he met in college and now lives in the US. The kids spend about 3 months a year with grandma and grandpa in Vietnam. The pride on grandpa's face when those kids were showing me their US passports was unbelievable. I never asked but I can bet he fought the VietCong heart and soul and was devastated when the US left Vietnam. Left his shop with 4 contacts to get flip flops in Can Tho and Chau Doc, his business card and two bags of some absolutely fantastic coffee, all free. I could see the "thank you" in his eyes when he handed me the coffee. Made me feel really, really good.

Public toilets are generally very dirty. Best to find a westernized hotel as John Bull posted. But if you have to use a public toilet, take your own TP or wet wipes. They very often are squat toilets, don't have any toilet paper and no way to wash your hands.

Enjoy your trip. It truly is a fascinating country with history that all Americans over the age of 40 were involved with.

JMHO as always

I agree. I was born and raised in Vietnam.

If you can't stand the people bumping you or as you say "how dirty" it's, then you shouldn't travel to Southeast Asia at all.

I agree that in general the Vietnamese people were not as friendly but realizing it is just their culture it didn't bother me. You can't help but get bumped in a market as they are so crowded but then no one seemed to care if they did bump you. Yes, it is pretty dirty. I used the "toilet" at the market and let's just say it is an experience I'd like to forget! :eek:

I don't agree.

The northern and central are not so friendly, but the south people are more friendly.

I didn't think Thailand is any cleaner then Vietnam. If you do think Thailand is cleaner, then you haven't seen much of Thailand.

I agree. I was born and raised in Vietnam.

If you can't stand the people bumping you or as you say "how dirty" it's, then you shouldn't travel to Southeast Asia at all.

Well said. I wonder if folk from "new" countries deem Asia to be dirty as they're used to modern and purpose-built.

We boarded in Singapore, I think we had to be on board by 2:30 for a 5:00 departure.

Hi Brucenlynn, Thanks for posting. We are cruising with Princess out of Singapore. What time of day did you arrive there? Was there enough time for you prior to your embarkation? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Brucelynn - we are going on HAL in January 2015 starting Hong Kong and finishing Singapore, with Halong Bay, Chan May, Nha Tang, Ho Chi Minh City, Sihanookville, Bangkok as ports of call. Could you please give me the name of the private tour operators you used in the places you visited and their e-mail address. Many thanks.

Well said. I wonder if folk from "new" countries deem Asia to be dirty as they're used to modern and purpose-built.

Well I disagree. Anyone that squats on the floor to pee and washes their hands in a community barrel is what I consider dirty. Did it stop me from visiting the country? No. I'm from the south so my definition of "friendly" is probably different than someone else's. Did it mean I didn't like the Vietnamese people? No. I was asked a question based on my opinion. So I answered that question. I did not mean to offend anyone personally. I have travelled the world since I was 8 years old and encountered many cultures and am very tolerant. However, I do have an opinion that may disagree with yours or someone else's. I do not appreciate being told where I should or should not travel. Plenty of people criticize America and they are entitled to their opinion, I'm okay with it because I know the truth.

Now back to my original intent, to help people with questions about my experience in SE Asia.

Hi Brucenlynn, Thanks for posting. We are cruising with Princess out of Singapore. What time of day did you arrive there? Was there enough time for you prior to your embarkation? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We arrived in Singapore at noon. That gave us time that evening to visit Chinatown, walk around near our hotel, have some dinner and have some drinks. The next day we visited the Botanic Gardens in the morning, walked over to the Marina Bay Sands and had some lunch before heading to the port. We always arrive the day before our ship departs (and the Millennium actually stayed the first night in port). Our taxi ride from the Conrad was only about $7 I think. Taxi's are very reasonable.

Brucelynn - we are going on HAL in January 2015 starting Hong Kong and finishing Singapore, with Halong Bay, Chan May, Nha Tang, Ho Chi Minh City, Sihanookville, Bangkok as ports of call. Could you please give me the name of the private tour operators you used in the places you visited and their e-mail address. Many thanks.

I personally booked the excursion with Thai Tour Guide (Mr. Chob) for Bangkok and HIGHLY recommend it. Ask for Ms. Aom as your guide, she was delightful.

The excursion in Saigon was with Smile Tours. I joined an excursion booked by someone else.

The excursion to Halong Bay and Hanoi was with Mr. Zoom tours, also booked by someone else

All these companies are easily found with a google search. And I can recommend them all.

I personally booked the excursion with Thai Tour Guide (Mr. Chob) for Bangkok and HIGHLY recommend it. Ask for Ms. Aom as your guide, she was delightful.

We have Ms. Aom confirmed for my group of four on Feb 5th and 6th of next year. Looking forward to her guidance. Thanks for the recommendation!

Edited by boogs

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the advice, we have confirmed with Mr Chob.

Do you have a favorite guide book you recommend? Thanks!

Since most of our trip was with private guides, I did very little research and bought no travel books. I find the internet provides most of what I need when sightseeing on our own. And Cruise Critics provide a wealth of knowledge!

• 1 month later...
Hello,

We will be cruising on Princess visiting Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia, Viet Nam and Indonesia. On your recent trip, did you use the

currency of the country or was USD accepted with no problem?

Thanks

In Singapore I got money from the ATM at the airport as I heard they don't easily accept US dollars. In Viet Nam I used dollars which they were happy to accept. I also got local currency in Thailand. Didn't visit the other countries. Hope you have a great trip!

Hi Bruceenlynn,

did you have lunch at the Marina Bay Sands top floor? We will be in Singapore next year and were told to do this. The views should be fabulous. If so, did you make a reservation before hand. Enjoyed reading all your posts.

sheila

Hi Bruceenlynn,

did you have lunch at the Marina Bay Sands top floor? We will be in Singapore next year and were told to do this. The views should be fabulous. If so, did you make a reservation before hand. Enjoyed reading all your posts.

sheila

Thanks, Sheila. We walked over to the Marina Bay Sands but did not go up as we thought we could go for free and were told we had to pay. I should have researched it beforehand. So to answer the question, no we didn't eat lunch there. I'm sure someone has answered the question if you search the threads. It's a great city!

Which airlines have good prices. Do we have to book early.

All the way from the Caribean going to Hong Kong pre cruise and catch the cruise. Some advice please .

We flew China Southern but I'm sorry I can't help with prices. Our route was Orlando-LAX-Guangzhou-Singapore and the return was Hong Kong-Guangzhou-LAX-Orlando.

You could check with Expedia or similar to see who flies the route you need and price compare. Good luck!

Hi Bruceenlynn,

sheila

Hi Sheila,

I stayed at Marina Bay Sands on my visit there last year. The top floor sure is spectacular and definitely worth a visit. In fact the whole hotel and attached shopping centre are worth a wander. It's a bit like staying in a theme park or something. Anyway, I would suggest booking for lunch if its possible. When I was there the cost for visiting the pool deck for non-guests was about SGD20pp, but I believe if you are going for drinks at Ku Da Ta (bar) then it is free to get up there. I think a cover charge kicks in at night - so please check that info. I don't think you can access the pool area but the view from Ku Da Ta is equally as good. That was the case last year anyway.

I didn't eat anywhere up there except for the Club Lounge so I'm not sure what other venues are there.

Hi Bruceenlynn,

sheila

Hi Sheila, We stayed 2 nights at Marina Bay Sands Hotel in 2011 at the end of a cruise and I can tell you it is totally worth the expense to get to the top level. The view of the city is breathtaking, especially with the infinity pool in the foreground. Since we stayed there I have no idea what the cost is for visiting the top. We ate lunch around the pool...we are definitely the "older generation". The night views are incredible from the top with all the Singapore lit up, as is the light show. Check out my website at: http://www.pixofwild.com/Singapore for some shots of the light show and view.