Joining Silver. Whisper 4404 in Shanghai

TheRoadie

My husband and I are excited to be boarding the Silver Whisper in Shanghai and leaving in Singapore. I would love some advice. This is our first Silverseas voyage.

1. What is the "informal" dress. Is it like business casual or cocktail dress?

2. I'm not sure what to do at the different ports of call. We aren't big "tour" folks, but we do like to walk a lot. Any recommendations?

3. Are there any yoga or exercise classes on board.

I'm fascinated that a butler will unpack for you! Has anyone used this service? I might have to buy new clothes:)

We have been on Chrystal & the Cunard Queens. Will there be some interesting differences. I have always wanted to be on the Silverseas.... Dreams do come true!

Guest superradiationboy

Maybe I'm too OCD, but I never asked the butlers (on any cruise line) to unpack anymore, even if they were so eager to help. I like to know where things are. When they unpacked for us, I either found quite a few things set out on the bathroom counter still and/or hidden somewhere in the closet/drawers and/or placed somewhere I didn't find convenient. Of course, that's only my opinion. You might like that service very much, as some others do. :)

Didn't your Queens Grill butler offer unpacking your belongings?

We are probably biased, as we like small ships. Those big ships aren't the same to us, as nice as they are. Because of the smaller passenger load, we get to see the same passengers day after day, the staff really get to know us, and if there's any interesting event, there wouldn't be 1000 other guests showing up at the same time. I guess it's that intangible feeling of exclusivity that makes small ships attractive to so many of us.

To me, Silversea (Seabourn too) is like flying first class in the air - personal service and exclusive. There aren't that many of us, most of the staff know me within a short while. The big luxury ships like Crystal are similar to flying SQ's all business flight - good service, good food, good everything, but there are quite a few passengers... Unless I really try to get them know me, otherwise I'm seat 2A to them.

1. Informal dress means cocktail on Silversea.

3. There is a delightful fitness instructor on board who offers daily (or at least daily when at sea) yoga and pilates classes.

Thank you! Now I know how to pack. I'm so excited I want to pack now, but we don't leave for another 4 days.

Maybe I'm too OCD, but I never asked the butlers (on any cruise line) to unpack anymore, even if they were so eager to help. I like to know where things are. When they unpacked for us, I either found quite a few things set out on the bathroom counter still and/or hidden somewhere in the closet/drawers and/or placed somewhere I didn't find convenient. Of course, that's only my opinion. You might like that service very much, as some others do. :)

Didn't your Queens Grill butler offer unpacking your belongings?

We are probably biased, as we like small ships. Those big ships aren't the same to us, as nice as they are. Because of the smaller passenger load, we get to see the same passengers day after day, the staff really get to know us, and if there's any interesting event, there wouldn't be 1000 other guests showing up at the same time. I guess it's that intangible feeling of exclusivity that makes small ships attractive to so many of us.

To me, Silversea (Seabourn too) is like flying first class in the air - personal service and exclusive. There aren't that many of us, most of the staff know me within a short while. The big luxury ships like Crystal are similar to flying SQ's all business flight - good service, good food, good everything, but there are quite a few passengers... Unless I really try to get them know me, otherwise I'm seat 2A to them.

You're description of the differences is great! We love ships because we feel like we're in a nice neighborhood. The Silverseas neighborhood is an experience we're looking forward to!

On our last cruise we finally realized the fun in trivia, but we know so little about pop culture that we felt sorry for the folks who invited us to join them. Since this cruise is part of the world cruise, I imagine the teams are set. Will there be room for new comers or should we just be happy as a two person team ... We've been happy that way for almost 36 years:)

Guest superradiationboy
You're description of the differences is great! We love ships because we feel like we're in a nice neighborhood. The Silverseas neighborhood is an experience we're looking forward to!

On our last cruise we finally realized the fun in trivia, but we know so little about pop culture that we felt sorry for the folks who invited us to join them. Since this cruise is part of the world cruise, I imagine the teams are set. Will there be room for new comers or should we just be happy as a two person team ... We've been happy that way for almost 36 years:)

Yes! We love that friendly neighborhood feeling too! :)

In the small ships, it's very easy to befriend with other passengers and staff.

On my last Whisper cruise, my parents were thrilled by the coffee art Allan (one of the wait staff) made them every morning in Panorama lounge. At home, we have installed an Italian commercial coffee maker for a while, and I still haven't really got the hang of foaming the milk and pouring the "art". So parents asked Allan to teach me and he did a couple mornings.

That got other passengers interested. They took turn helping me practice by drinking all the cappuccinos I made. :D

That's Silversea. Please enjoy your trip!

I couldn't imagine requesting that on Cunard Queens Grill... I don't think they see that as socially acceptable... I might get reassigned to Britannia. :D

On my last Whisper cruise, my parents were thrilled by the coffee art Allan (one of the wait staff) made them every morning in Panorama lounge. At home, we have installed an Italian commercial coffee maker for a while, and I still haven't really got the hang of foaming the milk and pouring the "art". So parents asked Allan to teach me and he did a couple mornings.

That got other passengers interested. They took turn helping me practice by drinking all the cappuccinos I made. :D

That is a great story.

If you start feeling a bit out of "practice", feel free to join the 2015 Norwegian voyage. I'll happily oblige your need to practice. ;)

Guest superradiationboy

I would LOVE to make coffee for our friends of Silversea!

Sadly, I still haven't really really got the hang of pouring the art... well, I guess I can still call whatever I pour modern art. :D

If you happen to pass by Toronto, come over for a coffee. I even bought a big case full of those illy cups and saucers - the same one used on Silversea.