Thanks in advance,

JT:)

Edited by jtwanabe

Is it enough of an inconvenience that it would discourage buying

booze and bringing it in.

How petty & silly really. Texas is floating on cash and yet they have to go

after this little bit of revenue.

:mad: JT

Check the link above...it has a chart showing different taxes for different sized bottles...a liter on the chart is $3.75 tax. :(

A couple of months ago there was some buzz about Texas

stepping up their collection of taxes on alcohol. As I recall

it was going to make it hardly worth the effort to buy bottles

of booze on board or ports of call.

Did that materialize and was it as bad as every thought it was

going to be?

Thanks in advance,

JT:)

Yes, it materialized. From my understanding it only applies to Texas residents. Based on my last cruise, I did not see the savings that I had seen prior... FWIW In Washington DC I can get similar prices at the Costco.

Is it enough of an inconvenience that it would discourage buying

booze and bringing it in.

How petty & silly really. Texas is floating on cash and yet they have to go

after this little bit of revenue.

:mad: JT

My father is a Texan FWIW & he thinks that they are doing it & all of their other nickel & dime taxes so that they can continue to not have a state income tax.

It only applies to us (Texans that is), and if this little tax keeps us from a state income tax, bring it on! It's a pain, but we don't really buy liquor on cruises, so it isn't a big deal for us. Sorry for the Texans cruising out of Texas that are affected.

So will they limit the amount you can purchase?

You were previously allowed only 1 liter ea.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

As explained in my last Galvestontips link...Texas limits you to 1 gallon per person for their tax...but US limits you to 1 liter per person for their customs tax (which was lower than $3.75 per liter if you exceeded the 1 liter limit...last time I paid it). So the most an individual could be charged by Texas for their tax is $15 (4 x $3.75...granted liters instead of fifths but usually the tax or customs people are not concerned). Since none of the Galveston cruise ships, Carnival Magic, Carnival Triumph and Navigator of the Seas (guess they're the only ones?) are going to the US Virgin Islands in 2014 (which allows 6 liters per person by the US customs) that will not enter into the equation. :)

Edited by cruiseclues

Yes, they are definitely collecting it in Galveston now. It is a separate stop after you have cleared customs.

Is this another stop for *everyone* or is it based on what you write on your customs form? A cruisemate of mine likes to bring home more cigarettes than allowed and doesn't write them on the form.

My father is a Texan FWIW & he thinks that they are doing it & all of their other nickel & dime taxes so that they can continue to not have a state income tax.

I can appreciate that....then when I want to purchase, I can pay the taxes on it. I'd much rather have that tax than a state income tax any day!

It only applies to us (Texans that is), and if this little tax keeps us from a state income tax, bring it on! It's a pain, but we don't really buy liquor on cruises, so it isn't a big deal for us. Sorry for the Texans cruising out of Texas that are affected.

LOL...I just cruise out of other ports. I get a cheaper cruise and don't pay that tax lol.