booking excursions NOT thru Carnival

kstwo728

I've been reading that the itinerary for Pride was changed up to stay longer in Cabo....but the website still shows that for our HM cruise (7/30/06) we will have 2 days at sea, then PV, Maz, and Cabo, and 1 more day at sea.

My question: If they change it up again - what happens if you book an outside excursion, like Randi?? Won't it be on the wrong day??

I tried to call Carnival and ask them this and they went into a 5 minute lecture about how if you book with an outside establishment you run the risk of death - I swear she said "you could die" like 7 times!!!! - because they aren't all insured or safe, blah blah blah.......I know - they want my money!!

::sorry, I digress!!::

How does booking outside of Carnival work?!

Thanks!!:confused:

I swear she said "you could die" like 7 times!!!!

There are reasons why she stressed this a few times:

1. They are in the travel business and see these things happening all the time, most accidents are not reported.

2. Carnival or other Cruiselines checked out these excursion companies and feel they are pretty safe. Someone posted on here resently about Cave Tubing Tragedy Averted! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=206855 and this was a Carnival Excursion tour.

3. In Panama, I remember a Flyer they placed on our Bed that stated, do not go off the beaten path or side streets, its very dangerous. A reputable Tour guide would keep you pretty safe.

4. Peace of Mind, knowning that the ship will wait for you if your tour is late returning back to the ship.

5. Carnival would refund your excursion if they had to skip that port etc..

6. If they anchor out and you need to take a tender off the ship, Good luck leaving earily, they usually disembark the excursion people first.

7. The list goes on, just be safe if youre travelling with your family.

Check with the vendor [Randi, etc.] about what their policy is. In many cases, the vendor isn't paid until the ship docks. Or, if they require payment beforehand and the ship can't/doesn't dock, they refund what you paid them.

Check with the vendor for their specific policy.

Check with the vendor [Randi, etc.] about what their policy is. In many cases, the vendor isn't paid until the ship docks. Or, if they require payment beforehand and the ship can't/doesn't dock, they refund what you paid them.

Yes, check the vendors policy. Talk with them if possible. Email them. If you don't feel comfortable, there are plenty others out there that will suit what you are looking for.

I swear she said "you could die" like 7 times!!!!

I'm sure the OP knows about the "risks" associated with booking non-cruiseline excursions, all that were named above. But don't you guys think it's extreme that a Carnival rep was so harsh and kept saying that?

More than many cases - In most cases...

Also is the ship arrives too late for the tour.

It is rare that you would put anything more than a deposit down - they usually want the balance in cash.

So you might have to ask to have your deposit refunded if the ship messes up, but you may well be saving 50% off the ship price, if the equivalent tour is even offered by the ship.

But yes, verify what the operator's policy is before you sign up.

I thought it was VERY strange!!

I'm a grown person! I understand the risks involved in booking a tour through an unknown company in a foreign country. I dont need to be told 7 times that I may DIE on my honeymoon!!!!!!

Thats why I came here to ask y'all!!!!!

They do that to scare you into booking with them. A friend on mine was hurt while on a CARNIVAL excursion in Cozumel and they basically told him tuff luck. They were not responsible because it was a tour company. So, I would take my chances and save myself some $$$. We have done it in many ports and have save quite a few dollars.

Just check out each outfit’s reputation very carefully ahead of time and know that their business and reputation depends heavily on what is said about them on these boards and other internet sites. I'm sure none of them really intend to kill you and risk losing any future business! ;) (sarcasm off)

I'm shocked, too, that Carnival reps would go so far to sell you on their vendors by using such an extreme example. We recently cruised for the first time booking all four of our excursions through private vendors. We saved tons of money, had much more personal, longer, and less crowded tours and all nine of us lived to talk about it!!!!

Just do your homework and trust your instincts.---And enjoy your honeymoon:D !!!!

They do that to scare you into booking with them. A friend on mine was hurt while on a CARNIVAL excursion in Cozumel and they basically told him tuff luck. They were not responsible because it was a tour company. So, I would take my chances and save myself some $$$. We have done it in many ports and have save quite a few dollars.

Hi could you tell me if you did the cave tubing and with who did you book it through when you went to belize. Thanks Islandlittleleague@yahoo.com

I would say that was an overzealous Carnival rep but essentially they were stating what Carnival posts on their website. They have some good points. HOWEVER, I did extensive research and have booked a snorkel excursion independently in Cozumel. It's early morning so I have about 5 hours to get back to the ship, I only paid a deposit and the vendor says the deposit will be refunded if the ship dosn't dock or is too late. ALL vendors in port areas live and die according to cruise trade. They know when a ship will dock before you do and if they don't offer refunds in that instance, they won't stay in business long.

I did feel comfortable, too, researching this vendor and seeing good reports on various sites online on her company.

Of course, we could be lost at sea due to a waterspout or a whale capsizing our boat and might not make it back to the ship in time. THEN, I would really wish I had gone with the ship excursions! Hey, lifes a gamble and it ain't always fair no matter what you do!

Donna:D

Archived