Can I Buy Upgrade if Don't Guarantee Upgrade Doesn't Work Out?

Leo Jay

I'd be fine with an interior room, but my girlfriend would love a balcony. We compromised and got an oceanview guarantee with the chance of an upgrade (I know it's more likely we'd just get upgraded to a higher level of oceanview, but we're hoping for some good fortune on our maiden cruise.)

Anyway, my question is, once we do find out our room assignment (assuming we can find out a few days before, and not when we walk on board), if we find we didn't get the upgrade, will we have the option to BUY an upgrade at that point if rooms are still available? And what are the chances a balcony would still be available a few days before sailing?

We're sailing out on the Triumph August 27.

Assuming you find out your cabin assignment beforehand (and remember, nothing is official until you board), if you're not happy with it, you probably can buy a higher category of cabin if something is still available. You'd need to contact your TA or Carnival (whomever you booked with) and inquire about paying the rate for the higher category. Keep in mind the rate may be atrocious that close to sailing...but then again, it may have dropped, as well. I would imagine there is a cut off point to where you can't change cabins like that. I would say 15-20 days out, you'd be fine...but 1-10 days, no way.

It really depends on your sailing as to whether or not something will still be available...you're cruising during hurricane season, so chances are your sailling may not be full. Best of lucK!

I personally wouldn't chance it... chances are that close to sailing the cruise may be sold out, or very close to it, and the rates if available, will likely be higher... if you want a balcony, I wouldn't settle for an Oceanview or count on an upgrade... I would go ahead and book it... if you would be willing to pay more for it right before the cruise, you might as well look into it now... If your girlfriend would be disappointed with an OV cabin, go ahead and book the balcony.

Not to use peer pressure, but.....

We had an oceanview booked on the Riviera Deck. We kept going back and forth -- should we get the balcony, shouldn't we get the balcony.....

Well, for a split second, balcony rooms became available on the Upper Deck (which had been previously sold out -- they are the cheapest balcony cabins). It was $300 to upgrade, so I made the call to my PVP and booked it. That was 4wks prior to sailing. Just 8 hours later, all balconies were sold out.

We're both ecstatic!!!

If you're contemplating a change, and you can afford it, go ahead and do it before it's too late. It's worth it for a 7-day cruise or longer. Breakfast on the balcony.....quite evenings gazing at the stars....you'll be a hero to your girlfriend!!! And you know how much women love men in uniform -- superhero uniforms, that is..... Hmm....there's a plan!

I don't know if your GA is much less than $779 but checking fares for that sailing right now the difference between a 6A and an 8A is $100 pp. $200 for a 5 day along the New England coast? I'd chose the balcony in a heartbeat.

If you wait til after you get assigned= and findout youonly got an oceanview cabin--you will be paying the going rate for a balcony which will probably be a lot higher then what it is now. If you want a balcony. get it. Please do not take the chance of upgrading.

Archived