New diver in Belize

ajahman

Hi,

My family and I will be going ona carnival cruise in Sept. with a stop in Belize and Coz.Is the shipboard diving excursion too advanced for a new diver or is it fairly easy.

Thanks

Ajahman

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I just got back yesterday,Sept 30th, from our cruise out of Galveston with Carnival Elations. We did our first Dive at Cozumel with the boats excursion. They use Sand Dollar Dive Shop. They had a nice boat to dive from. it was big and you stepped of the back to enter the water. make sure you check you equipment carefully though. The first BC i got fit but after the bottle was hooked to it I noticed a strap was torn on it. I told one of the crew members and he tore it the rest of the way and they went and got another BC. They hooked it up and I forgot to check it out. We dove first in our group and when I went to put it on I couldn't tighten the straps across my stomach. The cumber bun fit and the shoulder straps fit. They looked at it and said it would be OK. For my first dive I was a little worried. Then I noticed the mouthpiece on my Reg. had one of the rubber tits missing. It was a easy and beautiful dive I just was worried about the equipment. I was OK with the BC once I got in but I had problems with the Mouthpiece. after the Dive we were able to adjust the straps and change out the Mouthpiece. Make sure you always check you equipment yourself. The 2nd Dive was alot better.

In Belize we also took the excusion dive.You take a 23 mile ride to the atoles but it wasn't bad at all. Thats why the cost is much more. They use Hugh Parkey. Great dive shop. They use nothing but Scuba Pro gear that is in great shape. Beautiful and Easy dive. My wife did get hurt on the second dive. She was about to step in when a wave came up and she lost her balance and rolled to her left and fell against the ladder rail and into the water. The crew was very attentive to her and she still made the dive. Her ribs hurt alot a couple of days later and she had to see the ships doctor and take Xrays. Didn't cost us a thing because we were on a Carnival Excrusion. You may save some money booking your own but in this case it would have cost us a lot more. Belize was a beutiful and easy dive. We loved it all for our first time dives.

Archived