New diver in Belize

ajahman

Are you traveling with diving buddies, or will you be going out with strangers? Are you bringing your own equipment or renting? What types of dives have you done in the past - ocean or river/lake? These things make a huge difference in your comfort level. I think the best judge of whether you are ready would be your dive instructor. Both are fabulous places to dive, as is Grand Cayman, and you will be spoiled by the beauty, but first make sure you are ready. The ocean is REALLY BIG!

Both places are appropriate for the newly cerified. Make sure the the dive master knows you are newly certified. Just watch out you might get too spoiled to dive lesser places.

I've never dove Belize(This December), but Cozumel can handle anybody from beginner to very advanced. Most of the diving in Coz is drift diving, so you just get your bouyancy set and let the currents carry you along. Very easy, relaxing diving so you can really enjoy the scenery. And believe me Coz is beautiful

For comfort I would not go more than 35ft at this depth you can ascend fairly quickly. Any thing deeper would require a safety stop. If you did your open water training in a lake or quarry with little visibility, you should be very comfortable in these waters as they are much clearer.

For comfort I would not go more than 35ft at this depth you can ascend fairly quickly. Any thing deeper would require a safety stop. If you did your open water training in a lake or quarry with little visibility, you should be very comfortable in these waters as they are much clearer.

The diving in Belize is going to be easy - most DM's will take you to a max of 80 feet (in multi levels, with a computer) and yes, everyone will be doing a 15 minute safety stop - this is typical of nearly all the diving you will do in the Caribbean. Remember, there will always be divers above and below you, so you may just max out at 65 feet, instead of 80. I doubt you will find any dive op who will take you to just 35 feet - that's the depth the "discover scuba" people go.

Unless you spend a week with a dive operation, all dives you will engage in as a day tripper will be relatively conservative. But please, work on your buoyency control and make sure you have enough weight - a huge problem with many newly certified people diving in the Caribbean.

Good luck. You will no doubt have a blast!!

Archived