Snorkeling excursion on Getaway

canbonbon

Hello everyone, we want to go for Snorkeling during our cruise. Looks like we have two options: St. Martin or St. Thomas. Some of you might have done snorkeling in those two ports. Could you please recommend which would be the best? And if there are any suggestions for which company to go with then that would be great. This would be our first time in both of these places. From the recently posted reviews I see that in St Martin may have a few sightseeing places to go to including the Jet landings at the beach. So maybe St. Thomas might be the better place to go to for snorkeling. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Not considering Nassau?

Thanks for responding. But looks like we reach there in the middle of the day. So was not sure if we have enough time for that. Would you recommend it over the other other two?

We did the Captain Nautica snorkeling trip in St. Thomas. We looooved it. It's a smaller boat, so you have a smaller group of people. They take you to two different stops out on Buck Island. We saw turtles, which was awesome. They float up to the top for air right in front of you. I think they are always there. The equipment was great, and they provide a big waterproof bag to put your stuff in on the boat(our backpack, towels and clothes all fit in it). They have soda and water. They also give you melon when you get out to one of the spots, and tell you to save the rinds to feed to the fish!! On the way back they give you shrimp cocktail. The captain and first mate were awesome! I would highly recommend this trip!!

This is what is available in Bahamas... idk if any of them are any good though, reviews seem solid on myNCL

Athol Island Snorkel - $39pp, 2.5hrs

Board your powered catamaran for a narrated harbor cruise on the way to the snorkeling site off of Athol Island. While cruising around one of the most beautiful harbors in the world, you'll be briefed on historical points of interest as well as the homes of the rich and famous. Once at the snorkel site you'll discover the real beauty of the Bahamas. You'll snorkel in some of the clearest water you've ever seen. The friendly staff will guide you along the reef and highlight the fish that you see, answering any questions that you might have.

Seahorse Sail & Snorkel - $49pp, 3.5hrs

This tour offers the ideal combination of sailing and snorkeling. After a short stroll, you'll board your catamaran, which features a shaded lounge and spacious deck, for a cruise through historic Nassau Harbor en route to one of two spectacular reefs. Here, you'll see natural coral reefs teaming with the ocean's wildlife on a snorkel adventure. During your sail, you'll receive your snorkel gear and instructions from the knowledgeable crew, who will accompany you into the water to ensure your safety and enjoyment. Unlimited rum punch is offered after snorkeling, and a full premium cash bar is available at an additional cost.

Undersea Snorkel - $44pp, 2.5hrs

See the best of Nassau Harbor's oldest cities and its history while enjoying music aboard a double-deck 48 foot catamaran. When you reach the snorkel site, dive in and spend the next hour exploring the undersea world with a live colorful reef and where the fish can feed from your hands.

This is what is available in Bahamas... idk if any of them are any good though, reviews seem solid on myNCL

Athol Island Snorkel - $39pp, 2.5hrs

Board your powered catamaran for a narrated harbor cruise on the way to the snorkeling site off of Athol Island. While cruising around one of the most beautiful harbors in the world, you'll be briefed on historical points of interest as well as the homes of the rich and famous. Once at the snorkel site you'll discover the real beauty of the Bahamas. You'll snorkel in some of the clearest water you've ever seen. The friendly staff will guide you along the reef and highlight the fish that you see, answering any questions that you might have.

Seahorse Sail & Snorkel - $49pp, 3.5hrs

This tour offers the ideal combination of sailing and snorkeling. After a short stroll, you'll board your catamaran, which features a shaded lounge and spacious deck, for a cruise through historic Nassau Harbor en route to one of two spectacular reefs. Here, you'll see natural coral reefs teaming with the ocean's wildlife on a snorkel adventure. During your sail, you'll receive your snorkel gear and instructions from the knowledgeable crew, who will accompany you into the water to ensure your safety and enjoyment. Unlimited rum punch is offered after snorkeling, and a full premium cash bar is available at an additional cost.

Undersea Snorkel - $44pp, 2.5hrs

See the best of Nassau Harbor's oldest cities and its history while enjoying music aboard a double-deck 48 foot catamaran. When you reach the snorkel site, dive in and spend the next hour exploring the undersea world with a live colorful reef and where the fish can feed from your hands.

As I said before, my biggest worry is the time we reach there. I am on the Getaway too and the ship docks in Nassau around noon time, so I figured I won't be able to go a Snorkel trip before 1:00 PM. Then I have to be back by 5:30 PM. While I understand that the actual snorkel trip is only 2.5 hrs or 3.5 hrs but there is always transaction time, traffic, etc. Its cutting too close to my comfort. So I will skip Nassau.

Is there a particular reason you keep looking for snorkeling in Nassau? As others have mentioned St Thomas is a much better option. I think I am going to stick with St Thomas as it has various options. But I would love to hear your reasons too.

Sure -

Booking through NCL means they won't leave without me, so that's reassuring.

I plan on hitting Orient Beach and Magen's bay at the other ports already. I hear they can't be missed, but haven't been to either island before.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We did the Captain Nautica snorkeling trip in St. Thomas. We looooved it. It's a smaller boat, so you have a smaller group of people. They take you to two different stops out on Buck Island. We saw turtles, which was awesome. They float up to the top for air right in front of you. I think they are always there. The equipment was great, and they provide a big waterproof bag to put your stuff in on the boat(our backpack, towels and clothes all fit in it). They have soda and water. They also give you melon when you get out to one of the spots, and tell you to save the rinds to feed to the fish!! On the way back they give you shrimp cocktail. The captain and first mate were awesome! I would highly recommend this trip!!

Thank you for your response. Did you book them through NCL or independently?

Edited by canbonbon
added thanks

NCL. We thought it was worth the price! We did the morning trip, came back to the ship to change and eat lunch, and then went out and explored the city.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sure -

Booking through NCL means they won't leave without me, so that's reassuring.

I plan on hitting Orient Beach and Magen's bay at the other ports already. I hear they can't be missed, but haven't been to either island before.

we did magen's bay last year. be sure you get off the ship ASAP and try to be among the first at that beach. you don't need an excursion, it's an easy taxi ride right over there and small fee to get in. taxis are right off the ship, they are trucks that take a good 10 people or so. it gets CRAZY busy by noon, like you can lose your children crazy.

we did magen's bay last year. be sure you get off the ship ASAP and try to be among the first at that beach. you don't need an excursion, it's an easy taxi ride right over there and small fee to get in. taxis are right off the ship, they are trucks that take a good 10 people or so. it gets CRAZY busy by noon, like you can lose your children crazy.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice.

Also, try Maho Beach in St. Maarten. It is a small beach, but it is where the huge planes fly right over you on the beach. It is so awesome! Google it and you will see pictures. There is a large outdoor bar there also, Sunset Bar. Best time to go is 11:30-2, when all of the big planes come in.

We are doing Island Time Charters in Nassau, I have done this itinerary 3 times already and the beaches in St. Maarten and St. Thomas are not to be missed. You can charter a boat for your family, and do sight seeing, snorkling, private island and fishing - or whatever you want for 4.25 hours and the price is not that much more than paying for six people to snorkel with the masses. Right off the ship 1 pm to 5:15. Getaway leaves at 7 pm. I have only snorkled at Megan's Bay previously on this itinerary and although the beach is gourgous the snorkeling was not that great. I'm sure there are better spots. Any island should do, but I thought Nassau would be the best as I've already seen the town and dine locally and have been to Jaccanno Beach and Atlantis. Can't wait leave Sat.!