Reflections on Reflection

gisnered

My family of 4 just got back from the Reflection leaving Miami (We are in our mid-40s, with two teenagers). We had a wonderful time. The staff were very attentive and friendly (a few exceptions, of course, but nothing worth mentioning), and we are amazed as passengers that we never really see all the work that goes on behind the scenes. For example, it's hard to find a trash can in the public spaces and yet one never sees any crew member hauling a bunch of trash - which we passengers certainly produce! Anyway, yes some of the music is loud, but we were able to retreat to quiet spaces on board when it got to be too much (hello Hideaway!).

However, I do agree that the ship seemed crowded. My impression is that the Reflection is at the "tipping point" meaning right at the line of too many people and not quite enough space. The top deck has fewer public spaces to gather freely and more restricted, fee-based areas (alcoves, lawn club grill, the porch). That combined with a few hundred additional guests made us realize we much prefer the layout of the Eclipse, the only other S-class ship on which we've vacationed.

Regardless, we would book a trip on the Reflection again.

My family of 4 just got back from the Reflection leaving Miami (We are in our mid-40s, with two teenagers). We had a wonderful time. The staff were very attentive and friendly (a few exceptions, of course, but nothing worth mentioning), and we are amazed as passengers that we never really see all the work that goes on behind the scenes. For example, it's hard to find a trash can in the public spaces and yet one never sees any crew member hauling a bunch of trash - which we passengers certainly produce! Anyway, yes some of the music is loud, but we were able to retreat to quiet spaces on board when it got to be too much (hello Hideaway!).

However, I do agree that the ship seemed crowded. My impression is that the Reflection is at the "tipping point" meaning right at the line of too many people and not quite enough space. The top deck has fewer public spaces to gather freely and more restricted, fee-based areas (alcoves, lawn club grill, the porch). That combined with a few hundred additional guests made us realize we much prefer the layout of the Eclipse, the only other S-class ship on which we've vacationed.

Regardless, we would book a trip on the Reflection again.

We would concur about the tipping point but I think this is the trend for all mainstream cruiselines with their new ships and I think X does as good a job or better than the others. Our only issue is one we anticipated on a Carb cruise and that was a crowded pool area ie.lack of pool chairs. Still we made do and did not feel the need to rush down in the morning to grab a spot.

The NCL Epic felt overcrowded to us but their game saver is their Posh area that you can pay a little extra for. Additionally Princess has the Sanctuary. I wish X would offer something like this. The alcoves (IMHO) are just not attractive being so far from the pool. Also their cost for two is prohibitive.

Other than the pool the only time things felt crowded for us were at the buffet during peak hours and we typically do not eat there.