Shopping on board

crisscruise

Know your "at home" prices before you go. The on-ship liquor prices in January really weren't that different than we'd pay locally (Atlanta). I brought a price list from Total Wine & More and compared. No more than $3-4 per bottle for any of the stuff we'd typically buy as I remember.

(yes I was conscious of the 1L bottle sizes on-ship when comparing pricing)

I'd like to know where, in Atlanta, you can find such cheap liquor. I have found that most liquor prices on ship are considerably cheaper than anywhere locally(Pensacola). 1 liter of Absolute for about $12, as compared to almost $30 at home. I think that is a great deal. Same for Appleton rum and Grand Marnier. The problem is hauling it all off the ship.

I'd like to know where, in Atlanta, you can find such cheap liquor.

As written in my post I brought along a price list from Total Wine and More. Select the Kennesaw GA store if you want to do comparisons. http://www.totalwine.com/eng/categories/spirits

I have another store closer to home that sometimes is a little lower but doesn't have a handy printed price list booklet sitting at the entryway.

Nether Absolut, Grand Marnier, nor Appleton were liquors we buy so I didn't price compare those.

If the shipboard prices are a great deal compared to your local prices, go right ahead and buy all you can carry. My only point was to research prices BEFORE embarking. I apologize if I somehow suggested that my specific experience would apply to everyone. Pricing in other areas/states will vary, especially if there's an ABC board, and ship prices may be a great bargain for those people. Just know before you go is all I suggest.

The problem is hauling it all off the ship.

Yep. Doubly so if you'd be flying home. We can drive to the norther FL ports so no worries there.

Edited by dd2355

I honestly saw nothing that could not be gotten at the same price elsewhere, but we bought some hats, scarfs and purses during the $10 fire sale on the first sea day.

Do not fall for the gimmick though. Everything on sale during that one hour special on the first sea day was restocked and remained $10 for the rest of the cruise.

UGH. Windows 8. I've had this laptop a year now and it still does bizarre stuff on its own. A lot of glitches. What exactly was wrong with XP ?!

I did buy an Olympus camera last cruise. I'd been wanting a new one and we had a great Olympus 35mm years ago. Takes great pictures. It was just over $300. Husband had some good luck at roulette - 'mama needs a new camera'.

That's so funny! Years ago the DH won some money gambling at Jai Alai when we lived in Miami and it was "Mama needs a new pair of shoes!" LOL:D!

UGH. Windows 8. I've had this laptop a year now and it still does bizarre stuff on its own. A lot of glitches. What exactly was wrong with XP ?!

I did buy an Olympus camera last cruise. I'd been wanting a new one and we had a great Olympus 35mm years ago. Takes great pictures. It was just over $300. Husband had some good luck at roulette - 'mama needs a new camera'.

That's so funny! Years ago the DH won some money gambling at Jai Alai when we lived in Miami and it was "Mama needs a new pair of shoes!" LOL:D!

Asalligo, I too noticed that it wasn't a real "fire sale" but just a gimmick!;)

Cali-Crooze, Actually yes, Clinique is cheaper on the ship...I got two bottles of their moisturizing face lotion for the price of 2 for $40. At Macy's here in CA it's about $26-$28 for one bottle. It's a small savings, but still a savings!:)

I think most people like to buy things on cruises, for the savings, but also to remind them of their cruise. I remembered the cruise I bought my Clinique on every time I used it. It's long gone now and I've bought new lotion...but it still reminds me every time I use it of that particular cruise. :)

Edited by mousey