Do men wear tuxes any more on "elegant night"?

midwifejen

We just got off a Carnival cruise a week ago, and I did not see anyone

wearing tuxedo's on formal nights.

I wore a tux on very cruise for the past 12 years but I finally gave up on Carnival. Last cruise(Splendor) I just wore a dress shirt and tie and was not out of place since I only saw a few jacket and ties and no tuxes.

Put me down for the no tux category. I haven't worn a tux in I can't remember how long. Probably 15 years lol. I used to rock the full suit and tie but unless it's a long trip or a very special occasion cruise, I have gone with just a shirt and tie if not just decent pants and a nice shirt. No need to show off. I hate spending all that time getting ready for dinner and i surely don't like all the room suits take up in my checked bags. I try my best not to check bags when I fly to the port and if I am traveling light I can usually get away with just a carry on bag for the whole vacation. I do occasionally see people in tuxedos in the dining room however so some people do still wear them. One cool thing is the myriad of photo opportunities you can get when you walk around the ship on formal evening. It also gives the comedy show that evening a classier atmosphere when lots of people in the lounge are there wearing their best.

Thanks, everyone, for the great replies! Tux it is! In going through the garment bag (which has remained sealed for the past few years) we found an older son's tux, so the 17 year old will wear that, and an almost new suit that DH grew out of for the other son (:) to the poster who mentioned tux pants are expandable). Now I feel like I need to ramp up from the cocktail dresses I have to fit in with my three "sharp dressed men" :p

You guys and gals are awesome! Happy cruising to all!!!

I'm so glad you decided to take the tuxes. Your gentelmen will look wonderful. In all honesty, there are very few it seems that wear a tux anymore. On our last cruise (The Legend) I only saw a few.

But I must tell you that the looks my husband got when he came down in the evening in his tux and his Military Dress Blues...well I was so proud of him.

It was really sweet, there were three sisters on this cruise and the last night at dinner. they just had to have their picture made with him! :)

You will have the chance to get some nice photos made and even if you are in the minority as far as being dresses formal....if anyone says anything negative, it's only the ugly green eyed monster rearing it's head. I can honestly say that we heard nothing but compliments from people. They were most gracious.

Have a good time on your cruise and be sure and post photos on the fashion board after you return.

I jut can't bring myself to go with the shirt and tie thing. I need the jacket. I prefer the jacket to the tie.

The jacket also hides the wrinkled shirts from packing.:eek:

I take the tux and do polo shirts and khakis all the other nights.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Forums mobile app

Edited by asylum575

I make no secret of the fact that I don't "get" the idea of dressing up in uncomfortable clothes to eat a meal. When I take my family to vacation in Hawaii, the only pants I'll take will be the jeans I wear on the plane. The thought of wearing pants is laughable, and of wearing a suit or tux while on vacation is absurd. I have no idea why anyone thinks differently on a cruise vacation than a regular vacation, but I respect their choice.

First, I don't find my tuxedo uncomfortable, and as has been stated by others, I enjoy the opportunity to get dressed up for dinner.

Second, when we vacation on a warm weather spot, whether it be Hawaii or in the Caribbean (we've spent weeks at both) I will never go out to dinner without wearing long pants. I feel underdressed otherwise, and would be extremely uncomfortable in shorts.

I certainly don't care if someone else wants to do so, it won't affect my enjoyment of the meal at all, and is also why I hope Carnival does not stop elegant night. Its current manifestation works for almost everyone, since the "dress code" runs the gamut from business (or cruise) casual to formal tuxedo. The only one missing out is the short pants wearer, and if they want to let them in as well, no worries from me.

Kevin C

DH got a tux several years ago just for formal nights, wore it on a few cruises. It's been a couple of years since our last cruise and the conversations here make it sound as though no one dresses up any more. Do any of you (or your partners) do tuxes, or do you see others in tuxes on recent cruises?

My husband still takes his tux. On any cruise that is 7 days or longer he also takes his white dinner jacket. He usually takes a cummerbund to wear with one and a waistcoat (or vest) to wear with the other jacket. He is a throwback to the old days of cruising and usually takes his navy suit for other nights as well. In the old days he would often take at least 3 different suits plus his tux and dinner jacket.

He says that he brings the tux to dress up for me. However, he always gets lots of compliments from women of all ages on how good he looks in his tux. I'm beginning to think that he takes it just as much for the attention from the women on the ship. :)

I generally take at least 1 full length formal and a cocktail dress for elegant nights. Although I have also been known to take 2 full length formal dresses.