Question-Reflection leaving next week

nickd508

Hi all,

I'm following up to the post I wrote recently about the Reflection, and my girlfriend concerned about possible motion sickness, as she is prone to it. We are both first time cruisers.

She purchased the Bonine, and tried it a couple days, and it really knocked her out. She only took half a pill. My question is, has anyone cruised using a smaller dose, say a quarter pill, and avoided feeling sick. She is worried about this, and I'm trying to ease her anxiety. : )

Thanks to all who offer/offered help!

One week to go!

I have heard of people having success with Ginger pills which are available OTC. There is also the patch which goes behind the ear, but that needs a Dr. prescription.

As far as half a pill, I have never tried it. You could test it out, if she gets car sick, take her for a ride and try half a pill and see how it goes. This may be something you want to resolve before boarding.

Yes, I only take a quarter pill (of Dramamine) before bedtime each night. It knocks me out, so I get a really good night's rest and usually don't feel groggy in the morning. If a quarter pill is still too much for your girlfriend, I'd even try 1/8 pill. (I use a pill splitter.) They make non-drowsy Dramamine (maybe Bonine, too), but it still makes me drowsy, so you'll have to experiment.

I take a half pill a day or two before the trip (it knocks me out), but I like the Dramamine to get in my system so that a quarter pill works on the cruise. In rough seas, I've had to up the dose to 1/2 pill, but I usually only have to do this on one night of the cruise. You never know.

I used to have the same concerns as your girlfriend. I get extremely motion sick and was always afraid to cruise because of it. In my experience, the ships have been pretty stable, but you do get rough seas, and the ship moves, so it's not like being on land. The Dramamine has done the trick for me. I really hope your girlfriend finds the right dose and avoids any motion-sickness problems.

I have heard of people having success with Ginger pills which are available OTC. There is also the patch which goes behind the ear, but that needs a Dr. prescription.

I've tried the patch in the past and had a horrible experience. At the time, you put a new patch on every 3 days. Well, I was on a 7-day and put a new patch on on the last night. The next day, my vision went blurry, and my eyes became dilated for 2 days. It was miserable! Everyone is different, but I wish I had skipped the new patch on the last night of that cruise, so if you use it, proceed with caution.

I've used Sea-Bands, too, which don't work for me.

I'd be interested in trying ginger pills, but I'm not willing to take a chance just in case they don't work.

Thanks so much for the replies! She will try the forth of a pill, and maybe use half a couple days before leaving, and just deal with the drowiness since she'll be at home. I couldn't believe how sleepy half a pill made her! She is very sensitive to medications though, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. She doesn't want to sleep the cruise away. lol

Yes, we have heard of some bad side effects from the patch too, hence her not wanting to chance it, since she is so sensitive. She does have ginger pills too, and is going to start taking those soon, and use the wristband. What the heck, might as well try it all! She also bought some kind of natural stuff you put behind your ears from amazon...no idea if that works. She will have a whole stash of stuff! : )

Since I have never cruised either, I can't really give her any guidance as to the movement, and how it will be felt for her. Hopefully, all goes well. We are praying for the best, and for a great trip!

The advice and tips on this board are awesome! Thanks again.

I have heard also that ginger pills work for some. Also there is ginger chewing gum that you can get a Walgreens or any pharmacy. DH has used that sometimes and it helps a bit.

DH uses the patch and has never had a problem, but of course people are all different. She might want to get a RX from her doctor for the patch and try it out at home before she does on the cruise. Lots of people wear them with no problems. But of course all people are different and she might (or might not) have side effects. DH is prone to motion sickness and so far so good for him with these patches.

Edited by margar

I'm very susceptible to motion sickness, and went on my first cruise in January. I didn't even think about taking 1/2 or 1/4 of a Bonine (non-drowsy). I was taking one right before bed, and it knocked me out and I was drowsy all the next day. I switched to ginger capsules and they worked great! But really, the ship was so stable, it only bothered me when the ship was moving fast at night and I was in an interior stairway. As soon as I got outside on deck, I was fine. Fresh air and seeing the ocean is the best way to fix it I think. I would definitely bring a jar of ginger capsules and take them regularly. She could bring the bonine as a backup, and if needed, just take a partial at night then keep a few with her during the day in case of emergency.

Hi all,

I'm following up to the post I wrote recently about the Reflection, and my girlfriend concerned about possible motion sickness, as she is prone to it. We are both first time cruisers.

She purchased the Bonine, and tried it a couple days, and it really knocked her out. She only took half a pill. My question is, has anyone cruised using a smaller dose, say a quarter pill, and avoided feeling sick. She is worried about this, and I'm trying to ease her anxiety. : )

Thanks to all who offer/offered help!

One week to go!

I also have anxiety and motion sensitivity (and get car sick). Like some others suggested, I HIGHLY recommend the patch for behind your ear. I put one on the day before the cruise and change it every 3rd day. It helps with the car sickness too for tours! We were on some rough roads in Central America and I never got car sick. I will never cruise again without the patch.

The only downside, was I did get dry mouth. Sometimes it is not as bad as others. but, yes, I did get dry mouth. But NO drowsy feeling :D To me the dry mouth was not a big issue, I need more water anyway ;)

Try to have her test the patch out before you go :)

Edited by CruisingGatorGirl

If she is sensitive to medicine most likely she will have side effects from the patch. If she could get a prescription pretty quickly and try one right away to see if she has any problems that would probably be her best bet. I get motion sickness but am not sensitive to meds. The one time I tried the patch I felt fine but when I went to read I couldn't see what I was reading, the letters were quite blurry and nothing I did could get it in focus. The side effects take about a day to wear off so she would need time to test it and allow it to wear off if it didn't agree with her. Are you in a balcony? If she feels any sign of nausea the best thing to do right away is go outside and look at the horizon. Good luck!

I have heard also that ginger pills work for some. Also there is ginger chewing gum that you can get a Walgreens or any pharmacy. DH has used that sometimes and it helps a bit.

DH uses the patch and has never had a problem, but of course people are all different. She might want to get a RX from her doctor for the patch and try it out at home before she does on the cruise. Lots of people wear them with no problems. But of course all people are different and she might (or might not) have side effects. DH is prone to motion sickness and so far so good for him with these patches.

My mom has used the patch with great results :-)