London for a Day

islandsailing

If you can, stop at the Tower of London for at least an hour and see the Crown Jewels. You can go through this place at your own speed and it may be a stop on your bus tour above.

Another good stop, if there are not long lines, is the London Eye. The view of London is fantastic from this.

What a shame to have only one day!

I love riding the double decker bus, every time I get to London. I always learn something new. YOu can get on and off and that's a plus. Now, obviously, one stop should be Harrods; very over-rated and expensive, but the food halls are fascinating and you can buy some souveniers there. Another quick stop is the current exhibit at the Queen's Gallery at Buckingham Palace. It's a small gallery and is showing Dutch Masters.

Then, if the weather is nice, I would sit at a cafe outdoors and just watch the life of the city passing by. Enjoy!

Jane in PHL

Now, obviously, one stop should be Harrods; very over-rated and expensive, but the food halls are fascinating and you can buy some souveniers there. Jane in PHL

Like you say Jane very over-rated and the only thing worth going for is the food hall!!!!! People generally just buy something for a harrods bag!! Personally I find Harrods very confusing with different halls leading into different halls. I much prefer the simplicity of Selfridges on Oxford Street. Do remember when in London at the moment to be observant. I'm sure if you look at the US foreign office advice it probably says the same thing. (My daughter works up in the city and I give her the same lecture!! Mind you it's only because I love her so much I don't want any harm coming to her)!! I'm sure that your trip will be uneventful and you will have a good day in London. Jane suggested eating in a street cafe!! A couple of years ago I went to Covent Garden on one nice sunny Sunday afternoon. The atmosphere was very pleasant.

Elaine

Yes, eating outside in Covent Garden is very good - but choose a nice dry sunny day. Catch the underground to Covent Garden station. There are often street performers to entertain you.

Such a shame it's only one day. Does it include a night in the city ? If so then try and fit in a show or just walk round Piccadilly and Soho including china town. If you want to go on the London Eye then prebook your time on their web site http://www.londoneye.com/ You can even go for a "flight" in the evening.

The open top buses are great because you get to see a lot of the sights but choose a warm dry day !! Harrods Food Hall is excellent - underground to Knightsbridge - try the oysters and champagne. Fortnum and Mason in Picadilly is much better than Harrods for other things.

They change the guard at Buckingham Palace every day with bands, etc. I think it's at 11 or 1130am - Good for photographs. Then you can walk into St James Park which runs alongside the Mall. It's very scenic and you will forget you're in central London.

Yes, the Tower of London is excellent, just for all it's history, but the queues for the crown jewels can be very long.

I know what Elaine means about being vigilant. My daughter lives and works in central London and I worry about her every time there is an incident. But remember that there are over 7 million people in London so statistically you are unlikely to be affected.

Have a great time in our wonderful capital city and enjoy your time on QM2, it's a fabulous ship.

I also prefer Fortnum and Mason's for just about everything. Their food hall is smaller and more compact, but with outstanding goodies as well. YOu can have a lovely tea there as well. Then, if one is there, one can pop across the street to the Royal Academy, also a lovely museum with smaller exhibits and few queues.

I am not afraid, but would always take the buses or cabs over thet ube because I like to sightsee! I also think the theater is now very pricey and if I had only a day would not spend 3 hours inside.

Whatever you choose to do, I can bet that you will want to return!

Jane in PHL

Yes, eating outside in Covent Garden is very good - but choose a nice dry sunny day. Catch the underground to Covent Garden station. There are often street performers to entertain you.

Such a shame it's only one day. Does it include a night in the city ? If so then try and fit in a show or just walk round Piccadilly and Soho including china town. If you want to go on the London Eye then prebook your time on their web site http://www.londoneye.com/ You can even go for a "flight" in the evening.

The open top buses are great because you get to see a lot of the sights but choose a warm dry day !! Harrods Food Hall is excellent - underground to Knightsbridge - try the oysters and champagne. Fortnum and Mason in Picadilly is much better than Harrods for other things.

They change the guard at Buckingham Palace every day with bands, etc. I think it's at 11 or 1130am - Good for photographs. Then you can walk into St James Park which runs alongside the Mall. It's very scenic and you will forget you're in central London.

Yes, the Tower of London is excellent, just for all it's history, but the queues for the crown jewels can be very long.

I know what Elaine means about being vigilant. My daughter lives and works in central London and I worry about her every time there is an incident. But remember that there are over 7 million people in London so statistically you are unlikely to be affected.

Have a great time in our wonderful capital city and enjoy your time on QM2, it's a fabulous ship.

Iceman

Yes I didn't say about being vigilant to scare anyone. Let's be honest it could happen almost anywhere nowadays. I am just a little more wary when I even go shopping in MK!!!!!!! I see you mention the weather. Wear on earth has our summer gone. OK it's dry but quite cool and cloudy and the forecast for the next 4 days does not get any better. It's very depressing escpecially when I keep looking at Aurora's webcam which my in laws are on at the moment and the sun is shining!!!!!! If we hadn't of been doing QM2 in Sept then this is probably the trip we would have done and I would have missed all this ugly weather!!!!!!

Elaine

My aunt came over from Arizona to visit and one of the things top of her list was the changing of the guard.

Oh boy, a day in London. Would that I could be there too!

All the above suggestions seem excellent to me. I was over four times last year and did them all, would do them again in a heartbeat. At all you can easily spend a day

What about this? List the four or five things that are most important to you, list what you like to do most in any city and I am sure you will find London will have something to speak right to your heart! Then just do those things.

Like food or "presentations"? Do the food halls or open markets or tea at The Savoy or dine at Simpson's. Like portraits? The National Portrait Gallery is a must. The British Museum can take months. An evening show or concert will be out early enough for you to sleep well and be fresh for the coach/car/train to the Southampton docks.

If you like cities in general and have little time, I'd opt for the open-top bus tour, the full day tour, of the city. You'll see all the highlights. Take a small map with you and look at it and see where you are when you are there. Get a fix in your mind and evermore on tv news you'll see shots and know "I've been there."

Have a wonderful day and enjoy the QM2.

Ab Ovo

Archived