Barcelona - Pre Med. cruise stay

We are looking at staying in Barcelona for 2 nights before our Med. cruise departs on the Brilliance. Not having been to Barcelona or having taken a 12 night cruise before, we didn't know if that was enough time, too much time, etc. Any thoughts for those who have done this? Also, we have found a 4* hotel (recommended thru this board) for 150 euro/night (Atrium Palace). Does that sound reasonable?

I liked the Atrium Palace. A few months ago it was $110 Euros/night, but someone else mentioned it has gone up. I just checked the price for random dates on http://www.utell.com and it varied. Sometimes it still showed rooms at 110 Euros/night (120 w/breakfast), but other times it was more so I assume the price depends on how full they are when you book. However, I would check out a few more of the reccomended hotels to see if you can do better.

Is this hotel close to the pier and did anyone arrange any tours on the city on their own? We are thiking of going on the Voyager next septemeber and spending 1 night in Barcelona pre-cruise.

I think it's a great idea to do a pre-cruise in Barcelona, but one or two days is really not long enough......three days prior would be better. Last year we sailed on Splendour and did 3 days prior to the cruise and two days after the cruise. We have been to Spain several times, and believe me, Barcelona is the best of the best. Regarding a tour, in the main plaza (I think the name is Catalunya) there is a doube decker bus that you can take for an all-day price that is really worth it. You can get on and off anywhere you want for the entire day and they hit most of the important things to see. Barcelona is a wonderful city and you will really enjoy it, as well as the cruise itself. Have a happy!!!!;)

I love Barcelona! Went there twice in 6 months last year. Yes, 2 days is not enough--but that's ok, it gives you a reason to go back!

Did the double decker bus and loved it. Must do Gaudi highlights--La Pedreda, Casa Mila and Sagrada Familia. They are relatively near each other so it should be doable in a day.

have fun--Barcelona AND a cruise--I'm jealous!

We stayed at the Atrium Palace two nights pre-cruise in June and would recommend it with reservations. The location was great (no, it's not near the pier, it's about a 15 minute cab ride away) right on the Gran Via about two blocks from the top of La Rambla and within walking distance of just about everything you would want to see in the city proper. The rates were reasonable (about 140 Euros per night) and the staff was helpful. The reservations were the noise (no rugs on the wooden floors so sound from the hallway really bounced around), no washclothes (a minor but weird inconvenience), the small and very hot elevators (we took the stairs instead), and the crowding and confusion on turnover days with customers checking out to get to the pier while incoming customers are trying to drop off their luggage prior to the noon check in. There is only one bellboy and no luggage storage room, so luggage is piled up around the lobby.

We did not come close to seeing everything there is to see in the two days we had in Barcelona and it turned out to be our favorite port on our trip.

For additional hotel ideas, visit the Europe Port of Call board. There's a lot of information there both on hotels and Barcelona itself.

In '01, my mother & I did a cruise that ended in Barcelona. we did NOT allow enought time- we thought 1 extra day would be enough- All we really got to see was on the tour that took us from the ship to our hotel ( the Hilton - nice enough but not really near anything) We got just enough of a taste to wish we had more time! & the next day was a waste, because we had to leave for the airport so early we didn't have time to do anything .

We stayed at the Royal Hotel Barcelona and would HIGHLY recommend it. It sits right in the middle of Las Rambla and is close to everything. The rates are very reasonable, and a hot breakfast is included with your stay.

Make sure that any hotel you consider has a private bath in your room as this is not always the case in Barcelona or many European location.

The Atrium Palace is quite modern inside. It's decorated in wood and marble, and I would describe its rooms as minimalistic. If you got a better deal on the price, that's great, but this is definitely a modern hotel.

Karen

Three nights would be a minimum for Barcelona. We wished we had stayed 5 nights. We also pricelined a 3 star hotel two years ago. When I checked in and waited for the rooms to open up (it was 9AM), there were many other people from my cruise who had also pricelined the rooms. We bid more than the other cruisers. Enjoy!

Archived