Pier in Galveston

pearose

Last time we sailed in 2010, we had a room at the Harbor House Hotel on the pier, so we were right there when the Ecstasy came in. This time, however, the Harbor House was already booked so we will be staying at the Springhill Mariott in Galveston. But we STILL want to be on the patio by the Harbor House in time to see the Triumph arrive.

Does anyone know if there is any place there where we can park to do this? We didn't have to worry about that before.

I will never cruise out of Galveston again. I wish we were aware of the fog problem in the bay. Our ship spent over 3 hours in the bay before docking. I realize Carnival can't control the weather.

You can park on The Strand for free or very little $ and walk across the street. There is a Starbucks there too. Then I would go to Sunflower Cafe for a yummy breakfast.

This. There's loads of parking on the streets around and close to the pier. I went down to welcome the Disney Magic into Galveston when she first arrived in 2012. Even with all the Disney fans there parking wasn't a problem. I even left my spot, drove to the end of the seawall to get some good pics from there, drove back to the pier right before she docked and still got a convenient parking spot.

I will never cruise out of Galveston again. I wish we were aware of the fog problem in the bay. Our ship spent over 3 hours in the bay before docking. I realize Carnival can't control the weather.

Sorry but New Orleans and Fort Lauderdale all have the same problem with the fog. And sometimes all three ports have issues on the same day. It is just a chance you take when cruising from Gulf States.

Don't get too down on Galveston. It's been really weird weather this year. I think with the unusually cold weather it's brought in more fog than normal. We've sailed out at least 1/2 doz times and never got delayed by fog. Hopefully this week will be the same (fingers crossed).

Either way, make sure you give it another shot. Great city, and even greater state!:D

Last time we sailed in 2010, we had a room at the Harbor House Hotel on the pier, so we were right there when the Ecstasy came in. This time, however, the Harbor House was already booked so we will be staying at the Springhill Mariott in Galveston. But we STILL want to be on the patio by the Harbor House in time to see the Triumph arrive.

Does anyone know if there is any place there where we can park to do this? We didn't have to worry about that before.

It will be early enough to not have a problem. 20th and Harborside, parking down by the Drilling Rig.

You could also go to the end of the Seawall and watch her come through the channel.

Wow:eek: Galveston can't control the weather either. There is also fog and other weather issues at other ports.

Delays occur when flying, driving, etc. One can't control everything:p

All ports can have fog. I can't believe you even typed this statement.

Edited by MichelleChell

We love cruising out of Galveston. Of course, we drive to the port. That might make some difference. We try to cruise after the fog quits coming in but with the weather the way it has been this year, you never know what it will do.

By the way, we also love Galveston. It is easy to get around in and you don't have the traffic issues that you have in big cities. We much prefer Galveston over New Orleans.