So. Queensferry

Is there transportation from the dock to the town of Edinburgh

without taking a tour?

How far is it?

There used to be a shuttle to and from Edinburgh, not sure of the cost. There is also a train from South Queensferry to Waverly station in Edinburgh. There is lot of info on this if you search this forum. There are also taxis available, and it isn't that expensive if you can find another couple to share.. I forget how far it is in distance but it takes about 40-45 min to get there, if I remember rightly.

Have read your posts from your British Isles cruise and they have been SO helpful! I have a question about taking the train to Edinburgh: did you arrive on a weekday? I'm just wondering if the train will be very full on Thursday when we're there. If we decide to go this route, we'll try to get to the train as early as possible in order to get to the castle early (we'll take your advice and buy tickets online). I'm assuming it didn't take you too long to walk from the station to the castle--? And, finally, do you remember what time you started back to the train station in order to catch a train & walk back to the tender dock, arriving in plenty of time for the ship's departure? (again, I'm wondering if leaving Edinburgh around 4:30 will result in a very crowded commute time). Hope this makes some kind of sense & will appreciate any help you can give!

So sorry! Forgot to ask about one other thing. You mentioned that the train station isn't staffed & tickets must be bought using a credit card. I've been reading a lot about "chip & pin" credit cards in the UK. Ours are of the "chip & signature" variety. Would that be a problem in buying the tickets?

Thanks again!

When we were in South Queensferry last August, transport to Edinburgh was being provided by a private bus company. We used this service and were charged about ten pounds return and we were taken right into the city centre. The bus was right by the exit, at the end of the jetty after disembarking the tender.