Disney Dream Stateroom 5522 - Review with photos!

LS1030

We were a family of 3 (including a 19 month old toddler) that sailed on the Disney Dream January 26 - 30th, 2014. We were really intrigued by the Category 08A rooms. Category 08A rooms are one category below the balcony rooms, but still considered Oceanview because it’s a “porthole” room. However, we didn’t get just one porthole, we got two very large portholes! These were large enough to sit in and enjoy the view with the worries of a balcony with a toddler that liked to throw things at the time.

Another major benefit of these rooms is the amount of SPACE they have. There was plenty of room for Trent to run around, which is so important at his age…because if they can’t run around and release that energy, it comes out in the form of a tantrum…usually at dinner. So we had plenty of space for storage (all of our suitcases and clothes were completely out of view) and plenty of running-room for Trent. There were also 2 tvs.

And the final major benefit I’m going to mention is the bathroom. Although it’s not the split bathroom I’ve heard so many people like that Disney offers, it had an actual tub. The shower and tub were just like at home, just smaller….not one of those stand-up only showers in most cruise bathrooms that hardly allow any wiggle room. There would have been no way to give Trent a bath if we didn’t have the tub.

Location: Room 5522 was on Deck 5, Forward Starboard Side. It wasn’t as close to elevators as we would have liked and it definitely took us a day to figure out how to get to our room depending on which elevator we took, since we were near the theater and one of the hallways leading from the mid-elevators to our room was non-existent, so we had to go around the theater to get anywhere on our floor. We could take the forward elevators up to Deck 11 and we would be near the ice cream machines, but everything else required us to walk all the way to the Aft, including Cabana’s, Flo’s and the dining rooms. While we absolutely loved our room, we didn’t like the amount of walking to get to the places we used most…with a toddler. Although, Trent was delighted to press the elevator buttons every time.

Well, that’s enough talking, how about some photos?

This first one was taken by the door/bathroom. To the right is the desk/sitting area with 2 chairs and the couch that turns into a single bed. To the far right and not pictured is the very large closet, where each of us had our own section.

Disney-Dream-Stateroom-5522-1.jpg

This next photo was taken over by the closet. Just look at all that floor space! SOOO much bigger than a typical stateroom. The door on the left is the bathroom and the door by the bed is a connecting door if you had friends/family staying in the connecting room (we never heard anything through the door, so either it was empty, they were really quiet or the door blocks out the sound). The fridge is located in that cabinet directly underneath the tv.

Disney-Dream-Stateroom-5522-2.jpg

If you want the couch made up into a bed at night, just tell your stateroom attendant and he will make sure it is done every night and then made back into a couch for during the day. Also, that little ottoman-like table opens up for more storage.

Disney-Dream-Stateroom-5522-3.jpg

The next photo give you a good picture of the entire layout and of how HUGE those portholes are!

Disney-Dream-Stateroom-5522-4.jpg

Here, you can kind of see the padding on the bottom of the porthole that is supposed to make it comfy to sit on. However, maybe my pregnant butt was too wide because I found the width of the “seat” to be a little on the small side to where I couldn’t lay down and relax. There’s lots of storage room underneath the bed for suitcases and such.

Disney-Dream-Stateroom-5522-5.jpg

Disney-Dream-Stateroom-5522-6.jpg

The tub/shower combo was perfect for a toddler and us adults had room to move…although Brett said he was about an inch from his head hitting the ceiling, so if you are over 6 feet tall, you may find yourself leaning over for your shower.

Disney-Dream-Stateroom-5522-7.jpg

Disney-Dream-Stateroom-5522-8.jpg

I hope this helps anyone that was interested in this room category!

Thank you for sharing We have stayed in the Family Deluxe OV stateroom on the Dream and love it, although we had one window (huge), we didn't miss not having a balcony. At the time I did not even know about this room you had until after we returned. The next time we sail with Disney, and we plan to be on the Fantasy, I am definitely going to book this room. It kind of looks like a mini suite.

Question: I see that you had a connecting door. Did you hear much noise from next door? When I checked on line, I did not see any of these cabins that did not have a connecting door and usually we try to avoid any stateroom that has one due to noise from neighbors.

Also, how was the view of the ocean was there any obstructions or could you look right down at the water?

Edited by Irene7

I haven't seen pictures of these rooms before and always assumed (incorrectly) they were the small portholes. I am curious as the one porthole room is listed as 241' too. I would think it would be smaller based on the porthole differences. Thanks for posting!

One word: SPACE!

Do you have any picture that is taken from either of the window and looking inside towards the door/bathroom?

Thanks!

No Sorry...we missed that angle just because there wasn't much there. There's a double closet and a long wall then the door which is next to the bathroom door.

Thank you for sharing We have stayed in the Family Deluxe OV stateroom on the Dream and love it, although we had one window (huge), we didn't miss not having a balcony. At the time I did not even know about this room you had until after we returned. The next time we sail with Disney, and we plan to be on the Fantasy, I am definitely going to book this room. It kind of looks like a mini suite.

Question: I see that you had a connecting door. Did you hear much noise from next door? When I checked on line, I did not see any of these cabins that did not have a connecting door and usually we try to avoid any stateroom that has one due to noise from neighbors.

Also, how was the view of the ocean was there any obstructions or could you look right down at the water?

There was absolutely no noise from the connecting room, so either there was no one there, they were never in their room, or the noise is blocked out that well.

There were no obstructions directly out, but there is a ledge right below, so you just couldn't look straight down. Here are a few photos from my phone that shows the ledge.

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

There was absolutely no noise from the connecting room, so either there was no one there, they were never in their room, or the noise is blocked out that well.

There were no obstructions directly out, but there is a ledge right below, so you just couldn't look straight down. Here are a few photos from my phone that shows the ledge.

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

Thanks for the info and the pix are great. The ledge will not be an issue and we will definitely try to get this room. BTW, your little one is adorable!

I haven't seen pictures of these rooms before and always assumed (incorrectly) they were the small portholes. I am curious as the one porthole room is listed as 241' too. I would think it would be smaller based on the porthole differences. Thanks for posting!

I guess since the one porthole cabin square footage is in the length and in this cabin, it's used for width. But I must say, this lay out does look like it has more square footage.

Thanks for the great review of the room. I will be in that room and the connecting room next month. I am so excited right now. I didn't show my DH the configuration of the room so I am sure he will be totally ecstatic when he sees it in person.

Also love the bigger bathroom. Since we will have both rooms we won't miss the split at all. :)

Thanks again!