CHEERS question....odd situation???

rene194215

A friend of mine is booked on a cruise leaving this weekend. It is a group of friends (she lives in another state and is going with frineds from back home) Well her cabin mate cannot go now, and since it is so close to the sail date she cannot find anyone else to go in her friends place.

They were both planning on buying the Cheers package but since she will be in the cabin alone now, would she be able to pay just for herself since the other person is considered a no show I tinnk. Or would it be looked at as 2 people booked still? I have no clue as I have never participated (yet:eek:)

Interesting situation. I think if she no-shows they would not have a folio for her and would not be charged.

Make sure she (the friend) removes the onboard account from her check in, just to be on the safe side.

If she's the only one in the cabin, she should be the only one charged. Only deal with this after you check in. You don't want Carnival changing your status to solo cruiser. (speaking from experience) :D

If she's the only one in the cabin, she should be the only one charged. Only deal with this after you check in. You don't want Carnival changing your status to solo cruiser. (speaking from experience) :D

I had this happen. They didn't do anything re supplement because they already got the money for 2 people in the cabin. There was obviously no refund to my travel mate.

I had this happen. They didn't do anything re supplement because they already got the money for 2 people in the cabin. There was obviously no refund to my travel mate.

She had the free cabin deal. So she paid tax etc for the 2 booked originally. So I think it was somewhere around $200 for 2 people. I wonder what would have happened if she did not get someone to go, if she would have had to pay more. Luckilly she had someone to go!

I hate to be paranoid, but there was some discussion recently about what the cancellation penalties are for the free cruises. According to the fine print on the letter, cancellation penalties are for the market rate of the cruise at the time of booking. So it sounds like even if you only paid port taxes and optional upgrades, you could be asked to pay much more back if you cancel.

(Hard to believe, but true if you read the fine print. Someone scanned a copy of the fine print here (see post number 300):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1988194&highlight=free+cabin&page=15

I'm really curious if Carnival would actually try to collect this money from your friend.