Poll: Free Upgrades on RCL

I was wondering how many people have been able to get free upgrades from their cabin? What was your original cabin type? What did you get upgraded to? When did you get upgraded (1 month before, 3 months before, at check in, etc.)? How did you get the upgrade? This could be a good tool to learn in the future.

Glenn

My onlyl free upgrade with RC was on the Radiance in April of this year, I received a call on my cell phone asking me if I wanted to be upgraded from a balcony to a jr suite. Of course I said yes, I had my cruise booked directly with RC. This was about 3 weeks before our cruise and was told our catergy was sold out, and had some request for cabins in that caterogy. Was the only time in 14 cruises we had with RC. Really enjoyed the free upgrade, dont know how or why we were picked

I am booked on a 8/21 cruise on Mariner and just received a free upgrade from an F cabin (large oceanview stateroom) to a D3 (Superior Oceanview w/balcony) cabin at no cost. I had recently found out that there had been a price drop for our cruise and rather than requesting the refund, I opted to try for an upgrade. I booked directly through Royal Caribbean and the customer service agent was extremely helpful. Try it, it works!

Rachel :)

I am booked on a 8/21 cruise on Mariner and just received a free upgrade from an F cabin (large oceanview stateroom) to a D3 (Superior Oceanview w/balcony) cabin at no cost. I had recently found out that there had been a price drop for our cruise and rather than requesting the refund, I opted to try for an upgrade. I booked directly through Royal Caribbean and the customer service agent was extremely helpful. Try it, it works!

Rachel :)

Did you contact them about the upgrade or did they contact you?

Last Jan my friends and I had a total of 5 cabins. We all booked about the same time Inside-K with room numbers. We all wanted to be next to each other so we did not go guarantee. I might add we booked with two different internet sites. When the cruise docs came I noticed my room changed. I called my friends and we were all upgraded and put next to each other. We went from a K to a F1. I think they did it because we had linked all our reservations together for dinner. I thought that was really odd. It's my only theory. The ship was sold out.

I contacted them about the upgrade. I wouldn't have known if I hadn't been following the cruise prices. I also know that they would have credited me the price difference if I wanted to go that route rather than the update. Don't believe the people who say you can't take advantage of price drops after you've had the final balance! Let me know if you have more questions....happy cruising

Rachel

I have gotten price drops, coupons applied, discounts on balconies, booking on board credits, stockholder credits and have upgraded for a fee at the pier. But after seven cruises on RCL - no "free" upgrades.

I'm happy with keeping the cash - no need for free upgrades here!

Lou

Don't believe the people who say you can't take advantage of price drops after you've had the final balance!

Please don't call us liars! It's bad enough that Royal Caribbean is cheating us, but to add insult to injury is just not fair. There are many of us who are sailing in the next few weeks who have watched the pricing on our upcoming cruises drop significantly and RCCL will not budge. I have spoken to several customer service reps and my travel agent who is working to try to at the very least get an upgrade for me.

I'm happy to hear that you were successful, but that does not mean that the rest of us are making up our stories.

I sincerely apologize if you took my message the wrong way. I was not implying that you were lying, making up your stories, or anything else. I am aware that a lot of people are unable to get refunds/upgrades/etc. on cruises they have already paid for, and that's unfortunate. I just don't want people to automatically assume that it's impossible if you've already paid, because it's not. Every situation is unique and I'm just trying to emphasize that it's definitely worth a shot.

I hope that clears up any hard feelings. Again, was not trying to offend and I'm sorry that your situation was not positive.

I sincerely apologize if you took my message the wrong way. I was not implying that you were lying, making up your stories, or anything else. I am aware that a lot of people are unable to get refunds/upgrades/etc. on cruises they have already paid for, and that's unfortunate. I just don't want people to automatically assume that it's impossible if you've already paid, because it's not. Every situation is unique and I'm just trying to emphasize that it's definitely worth a shot.

I hope that clears up any hard feelings. Again, was not trying to offend and I'm sorry that your situation was not positive.

Thank you for clearing this up. It's just that the wording you chose "Don't believe the people who say you can't take advantage of price drops after you've had the final balance" suggests that we may not be telling the truth. I agree that everyone should still try to get their prices adjusted regardless of what you read regarding others' successes or failures. That's the reason I called customer service at RCCL, but unfortunately was unsuccessful.

Archived