First timer in NCL

10july86

My husband , daughter and I are looking for a cruise to Bermuda. I was looming at prices on the NCL breakaway and compared them to celebrity. In the last we've always sailed on celebrity and we love them. But I found that NCLs prices are much less than celebrity. Can someone shed some light as to what the difference is between the two lines? Prices are close to $900 less per person. That is a lot of money. Thanks.

We enjoyed NCL but last year we wanted to do a southern carb. We only had 7 days so we went on celebrity summit. We loved it.

I really didn't see a lot of difference that I could put my finger on. We did 2 specialty restaurants on celebrity. We did select dinning because that is one of the biggest selling points for NCL along with the price. Loved the martini bar!!!

We eat specialty on NCL but not every night and I would not want to buy the package. I love the freedom to choose when I want to eat and where every day. We have never had a huge wait without reservations.

We choose where we want to go and try to find a price we like. If there was a big price difference between celebrity and NCL I would pick the cheapest.

We have booked getaway for next January and summit for January 2016.

We prefer assigned seating as that's the best way to meet people. We love the service on Celebrity but the price difference with NCL is astounding. We can get a mini-suite for less than the cost of a regular cabin on Celebrity. What is select dining and what package are you referring to? Thanks.

We prefer assigned seating as that's the best way to meet people. We love the service on Celebrity but the price difference with NCL is astounding. We can get a mini-suite for less than the cost of a regular cabin on Celebrity. What is select dining and what package are you referring to? Thanks.

Select dinning is available on celebrity, you don't get assigned seating. You can eat when you want in the main dinning room in a special section.

The package is the ultimate dinning package (UDP) on NCL. Unlimited specialty dinning.

A lot of people love assigned seating and formal night, we are not. So it is awesome that there are choices out there for everyone.

My husband , daughter and I are looking for a cruise to Bermuda. I was looming at prices on the NCL breakaway and compared them to celebrity. In the last we've always sailed on celebrity and we love them. But I found that NCLs prices are much less than celebrity. Can someone shed some light as to what the difference is between the two lines? Prices are close to $900 less per person. That is a lot of money. Thanks.

So if you are looking at Breakaway as a first NCL ship, key things to note/research:

No assigned dining / tables - this is freestyle, turn up when you want, with whom you want or reserve a table anytime..

No formal nights - nothing to stop you dressing up if you want to but the majority probably won't

No daily theatre show - there are two main shows so in a typical week maybe only two nights in the theatre, alternate nights will be events in the other venues, bliss. Headliners, cirque tent, spice h2o, atrium or the different bars

If you understand and are happy with that then you'll love NCL :)

I understand what you are saying as that is one of the things I missed the most on our 1st NCL cruise. But you can meet some wonderful people by joining or setting up a meet and greet.

Yes, we met a lot of people we did not like and had nothing in common with and then were stuck with them all week with assigned seating. That is why we no longer cruise with those lines.

It is not difficult to meet people at all on NCL. We talk to and meet interesting people all over the ship. There are so many activities and entertainment options, you'll be in the thick of things all week.

On Getaway, I did see a sign up sheet at guest services for those who wanted to dine with others that night. I'm sure it's probably available on Breakaway as well. You would probably have to do an early or late time slot, and would need to sign up daily, but it is probably doable.

Edited by punkincc