Satellite Radios

SHINEMAN

We took our XM radio on a recent cruise on HAL'S Westerdam. We had so so results. It worked great when the ship was moving N and E and was spotty when the ship headed S and W. It all depends on placement of your antenna and the amount of obstacles between the antenna and the sky. We will travel on the Jewel next month in a forward facing cabin. Because of the ships design there will be no metal between the rail we place the antenna on and the sky. I think we will get great reception. We certainly enjoy hearing the music we like while on a cruise.

In a topic related, we are bring our GPS to help us navigate through the island roads when we rent a car and put it on our balcony when we go from port to port in Hawaii. I am a realtor and could not do a good job without GPS. It is one of the best inventions and so cheap now; anyone who travels a lot or relocates to a new city should think about getting one.

And BTW I have satellite radio and listen to CNN and MSNBC non-stop with some times chanes to BBC and very occasionally FOX news if I have to hear a conservative point of view!

In a topic related, we are bring our GPS to help us navigate through the island roads when we rent a car and put it on our balcony when we go from port to port in Hawaii. I am a realtor and could not do a good job without GPS. It is one of the best inventions and so cheap now; anyone who travels a lot or relocates to a new city should think about getting one.

And BTW I have satellite radio and listen to CNN and MSNBC non-stop with some times chanes to BBC and very occasionally FOX news if I have to hear a conservative point of view!

The GPS is indeed a great device to have on a cruise. Even a basic Garmin etrek will let you plot your position, determine ship speed and let you estimate eta.

Archived